Menu

If you needed to fill 4 months of math what would you use

nukeswife

I know it seems like an odd question, but my son is currently using Teaching Textbooks 6. We always take a long summer break and definitely will this year because my dh will actually be able to take a large amount of leave. My son will finish TT6 Feb 1st (granted it all doesn't hit the fan before then) and we don't really want to move right into TT7 until next fall. So if you had to fill about 3.5 - 4 months of math but didn't want to start a full curriculum what would you use?

I don't mind having to teach it. He uses TT because he likes the program and it makes sense, not because I need something independent.

(Disclaimer: this is my unsolicited opinion, ignore at will;)! After having 2 kids in TT last year (one did TT6 and the other did TT7) I'd recommend skipping TT7 and going straight into Pre-Algebra. There have been tons of controversial threads here on TT but my opinion (fwiw) watching my dc do those programs at the same time is that TT7 is all the same stuff as TT6, just in slightly more detail). That being said:

I'd try Life of Fred if you think your ds would enjoy that sort of thing. You could easily do the Fractions book and the Decimals and Percents book in 4 months and it would be a great bridge to cement what he learned in TT6 and move into Pre-Algebra. Both my dc did LoF Fractions and then Decimals & Percents along with their TT math. It worked well.

JMHO:D

Jen,

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about that. I have TT 7 sitting here still in the shrink wrap. Maybe I should see if I can return it and the buy Pre-Algebra.

I had LOF a while back and sold it before we even used it. I know they sell it at our local homeschool book store, so maybe I'll go check it out. Fractions in TT seemed to trip him up a bit, but he has Decimals and Percents nailed down.

Jen,

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about that. I have TT 7 sitting here still in the shrink wrap. Maybe I should see if I can return it and the buy Pre-Algebra.

I had LOF a while back and sold it before we even used it. I know they sell it at our local homeschool book store, so maybe I'll go check it out. Fractions in TT seemed to trip him up a bit, but he has Decimals and Percents nailed down.

I would still recommend LoF if you think he'd like the storyline. LoF is just so good at putting math in real life situations and making you actually apply the theoretical and think it might be useful in life. Just a thought, I'm sure others will have more ideas for you!:)

Also, you might try having him take the TT Pre-Algebra placement test when he gets closer to finishing TT6, that would probably help you decide if it's worth working through TT7 or just moving on.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Maybe some Keys To... or Math Mammoth books to cement shaky concepts before moving on.

Oh - this. I think Mammoth Math books to help with fractions, since you mentioned that he struggled a bit. The Dark Blue Series has books specifically for certain topics and they're really inexpensive. And SSOOOOO effective!