Menu

secular formal logic

Laughingmommy

Any leads? I'll probably order Critical Thinking from the Critical Thinking Company. To be honest, the samples look like they might be a tad too old for my kids (content a little boring). What else out there is fun, appropriate (in content for mature 10-year-olds), and secular? I will make up my own stuff to teach the kids using college logic texts if I must, but I really rather not.

Thanks,

Pei

I am using Critical Thinking 1 with 2 fifth-graders, 2 sixth graders, and 3 7th graders; we aren't finding it boring. The examples are often deliberately silly, (all invisible horses have polka-dots!) and the kids are enjoying themselves with it. I don't think yours would find it too boring.

I am using Critical Thinking 1 with 2 fifth-graders, 2 sixth graders, and 3 7th graders; we aren't finding it boring. The examples are often deliberately silly, (all invisible horses have polka-dots!) and the kids are enjoying themselves with it. I don't think yours would find it too boring.

I'm so glad to read this! They sure didn't pick the silliest pages as their sample pages. I was a little worried.

Did you think the instruction/answer guide is important to have?

Thanks,

Pei

My plan is to use the three books available from CAP, Art of Argument, Discovery of Deduction, and Argument Builder. They seem to be secular and the newest edition has fixed the main complaints about the series.

Whew! I just read the very long sample for Art of Argument. I feel a little weird about it. I'm not sure that it's really secular... or rather, I'm not sure that it doesn't have a definite political bent. Thanks for the recommendation, though. I learned a lot about logic from reading all those pages!

Pei

We are also using the Logic liftoff series. I have a 10 year old and consider him a 5th grader. We stated with the second one in september and I expect to finish ... hmm.. I am sure we will be done by the end of January. Then we will move onto the third book in the series.

Now, I have no clue what we will do after that.

We are also using the Logic liftoff series. I have a 10 year old and consider him a 5th grader. We stated with the second one in september and I expect to finish ... hmm.. I am sure we will be done by the end of January. Then we will move onto the third book in the series.

Now, I have no clue what we will do after that.

Lori has some good suggestions in this thread - particularly post #18 onwards.