Menu

"But it is only $2.12"

This is what my dh said about his morning McD's habit. Apparently he gets a cup of coffee and a biscuit of some type for just over 2 bucks. No, it won't break the bank, but eventually it will kill him.

So I've been trying to think of things I can make on the weekends and toss into the freezer for him. I've made breakfast burritos and muffins. I have no clue what else is freezable, easily handled and microwavable with one step that I can make at home.

Any ideas?

How about breakfast tacos? You can make them the night before and put them in the fridge. He can heat them up a little before he leaves.

Make it easy by frying up the bacon a putting it in the freezer, that way you can grab a slice or two for the taco.

Use scrambled egg, bacon or sausage, potato, chopped tomato or other veggie. Wrapped in a flour tortilla.

I actually have a DH in the same boat. (High Bp and overweight) He gets a box of burritos at Costco and a bottle of juice and eats this every day. I don't know how good it is for him, however. I also am at a loss for his breakfast. Its the eat on the run thing that is hard to deal with.

burritos

blt on toast

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jo-Anns-Power-Bars/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Porridge/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Breakfast-Crisp/Detail.aspx

this really looked good!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jimmy-Dean-Sausage-Breakfast-Pizza/Detail.aspx

You really got me thinking about my own DH ---Thanks!!

That is all well and good, but I have to have something as easy for him to substitute.

Does he also like the idea of stopping? Do you object to the cost as well as the food? Maybe you could talk him into stopping at Starbucks for a coffee, whole grain muffin and piece of fruit? Or Subway has egg white sandwiches on whole wheat bread.

Compare:

Mc D's bacon, egg and cheese biscuit has 540 calories, 34 g of fat, 35 g of carbs and 18 g of protein.

Starbucks' apple bran muffin has 350 calories, 9 g of fat, 64 carbs (that is a lot, but it's high in fiber too), and 6 g of protein.

Subway's western egg white whole wheat english muffin has 160 calories, 4 g of fat, 19 carbs and 15 g of protein, if you add veggies you'd be upping the fiber which is not bad.

Crickey! That's $42.40 a month on breakfast for one person!

He does know could buy a bag of good grounds, eggs, and toast for the entire month in the 15 plus minutes it takes to go through McD? And enjoy your wonderful morning conversation while he has it?

Or take you on a date night?

Or ... Just about anything else that would be more enjoyable and better use of funds?

Well, only 2.12, if he does it 5 days a week, is $530 (that's figuring 50 weeks). What would he like to do with that money? Take a vacation? Fix up something at home? Put it in savings? It's those little amounts that seem like nothing, that really add up to something.

Anyway, to answer your question: breakfast burritos, muffins, banana bread (or muffins). Homemade egg mcmuffins are easy to make and freeze well. Canadian bacon isn't as bad as sausage, and you could even use just egg whites if he would eat it that way. I've never tried it but have seen recipes for eggs made in a muffin tin. You could mix in a fair amount of veggies, cook them in muffin tins, and freeze them.

It sounds like it needs to be convenient and tasty for him to want to switch. I'd go easy on him at first. In other words, don't hit him with low fat, bran, whole wheat stuff all at once. My dh grew up in Florida, but his family is from Tennessee. He grew up on everything cooked in bacon grease, even vegetables. And nothing but white bread/white flour. His cholesterol levels are a result of that diet. It took a long time to get him to not only eat healthy, but to actually enjoy healthy foods. Taste buds don't change overnight, but they can change.

ETA: Don't make him give up his coffee. That would be torture! (Full disclosure: yes, I'm a coffee fiend.) He could either make coffee at home, or grab his homemade breakfast then drive through McDonald's for a cup of coffee.

Edited by floridamom

I don't know if this will help any but, here it is.

At the beginning of the week I cook up some sausage, and fried potatoes and cook it with scrambled eggs, onions, spinach, mushrooms, and green pepper.

Then each morning my husband can take a meal's worth, warm it up, roll it up in a whole wheat tortilla and have a quick yet healthy breakfast. Ok, sausage isn't technically "healthy", but we do buy better sausage, the sausage and egg serve as a protein. He also sprinkles some shredded cheese on it. The wheat tortilla is the good carbs. And of course the veggies. And that will certainly cost less than $10.60 a week (even though you said you don't have a problem with the cost).

You can also modify that to his tastes. That's just what my husband likes.

If it's the "experience" he likes, get him to eat something at home before leaving and then just stopping off for the coffee, not the very unhealthy breakfast biscuit.

Have him watch "Supersize Me". It is on Netflix and we watched it last night. It should make you rethink eating out at fast food places, especially McD's.

I watched it, and was extremely angry -- there was no science it was agenda -- he had some very general guidelines in which to follow, must eat everything off the menu once, and if he was asked to "supersize" he had to.

He was only asked to supersize a couple of times.

Yes, he would have had to have a large soda (of each flavor) once. He would have had to have a milkshake (of each falvor) once.

He CHOSE to sit there and drink a 32 oz. soda with every stinking meal -- because it's full of calories (sugar), and would make him gain weight faster. In some cases, he drank a large soda and then chased it with a large milkshake. There was NOTHING the nutritionist said that he bothered to follow. His GOAL was to prove eating at McDonald's all the time would make you obese. He did *whatever* he had to to prove his point, including IGNORING the nutritionist who said, "back off the shakes, choose water over soda."

I worked for McDonalds full-time (eating there at least 2x a day, most weeks) for 6 years. I have always had weight problems, but even I didn't gain weight from eating there, because I was careful about what I ate, and how much.

As far as the fatty liver issues (the liver problems that are usually only seen with alcoholics), those are primarilly caused NOT by fat, but by sugar consumption.

Sorry, but that "documentary" was not worth it's weight in anything.

Does he also like the idea of stopping? Do you object to the cost as well as the food? Maybe you could talk him into stopping at Starbucks for a coffee, whole grain muffin and piece of fruit? Or Subway has egg white sandwiches on whole wheat bread.

He could go to Tim Horton's for a muffin. He could grab an apple out of the fruit bowl that is on the way out the door. ;) He could wake up 5 minutes earlier and scarf down a bowl of cereal. :glare:

I don't much mind about the cost. I object to the sodium and fat. I'd be willing to pay for TH. He is all for pulling something out of the freezer or the muffin basket if it is available.

Crickey! That's $42.40 a month on breakfast for one person!

Or ... Just about anything else that would be more enjoyable and better use of funds?

Maybe, maybe not. I'd have to spend extra for the groceries every month to have the meals here for him. An extra loaf of bread, dozen eggs and veggies or baking supplies would come close to $10 a week.

... My dh grew up in Florida, but his family is from Tennessee. He grew up on everything cooked in bacon grease, even vegetables. And nothing but white bread/white flour. His cholesterol levels are a result of that diet. It took a long time to get him to not only eat healthy, but to actually enjoy healthy foods. Taste buds don't change overnight, but they can change.

ETA: Don't make him give up his coffee. That would be torture! (Full disclosure: yes, I'm a coffee fiend.) He could either make coffee at home, or grab his homemade breakfast then drive through McDonald's for a cup of coffee.

Thanks for the suggestions. And I promise not to take away his coffee. Dh grew up in southwest GA. Bacon grease and peanut oil were in everything but the coffee.

I don't know if this will help any but, here it is.

At the beginning of the week I cook up some sausage, and fried potatoes and cook it with scrambled eggs, onions, spinach, mushrooms, and green pepper.

Then each morning my husband can take a meal's worth, warm it up, roll it up in a whole wheat tortilla and have a quick yet healthy breakfast. Ok, sausage isn't technically "healthy", but we do buy better sausage, the sausage and egg serve as a protein. He also sprinkles some shredded cheese on it. The wheat tortilla is the good carbs. And of course the veggies. And that will certainly cost less than $10.60 a week (even though you said you don't have a problem with the cost).

You can also modify that to his tastes. That's just what my husband likes.

If it's the "experience" he likes, get him to eat something at home before leaving and then just stopping off for the coffee, not the very unhealthy breakfast biscuit.

Thank you.

No, I don't mind the $2.12. I do mind the 280+ he weighs and the fact that he is under 40 and already on blood pressure meds.

Oh, dear. Please tell us that he's very, very tall and muscular.

I can understand your concern. The problem is trying to get him to do the right things. So many people keep thinking, "I feel fine, so I'll be all right," until something terrible happens, and it's hard to fight that logic, no matter how much sense you're making.

Cat

Make some homemade biscuits, and cook up some lean turkey sausage patties, put them together, wrap individually, and freeze. You can always mix some wheat pastry flour in when making the biscuits, and do them with a healthier oil or butter instead of shortening.

The turkey patties can be baked or fried, but then patted really well to get as much grease out as possible.

At least this would be a healthier version of what he LIKES versus just other things he may or may not enjoy.