Menu

A delightful kids' Christmas picture book you might enjoy

I just got out our box of Christmas titles and wanted to share wwith you my very favorite one of them all:

Bah! Humbug? by Lorna Balian

here:

http://www.amazon.com/Bah-Humbug-Lorna-Balian/dp/1595720367/ref=pd_sim_b_6

This is a newer edition (mine is 1977!) done in collaboration with her daughter, Lecia Balian. How cool is that? Lorna Balian's books always have a cute wordless story going on in the illustrations, so be sure to snuggle up with your kiddos for this wonderful read-aloud.

This was a special early Christmas gift to me from God, as one year when my kids were littles, the indie toy store near us went out of business. I had drooled over items in the store for years, begged extended family for gift cards from the store for *my* birthdays, and bought a small item or two from there as the budget allowed. When they went out of business, dh came with me and we bought several hundred dollars of Playmobil at 60% off, stockpiling Christmas gifts for the next few years. The next morning I went back and grabbed a stack of books, snatching what I could in between the crowds. The owner saw my stack and, reaching behind the counter, said, "I'd like you to have this one, too." The rest is history.

My children will all get their own copy mailed to them the first Christmas that they are away from our home. Sniff!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

This was a special early Christmas gift to me from God, as one year when my kids were littles, the indie toy store near us went out of business. I had drooled over items in the store for years, begged extended family for gift cards from the store for *my* birthdays, and bought a small item or two from there as the budget allowed. When they went out of business, dh came with me and we bought several hundred dollars of Playmobil at 60% off, stockpiling Christmas gifts for the next few years. The next morning I went back and grabbed a stack of books, snatching what I could in between the crowds. The owner saw my stack and, reaching behind the counter, said, "I'd like you to have this one, too." The rest is history.

That's awesome! and thanks for the recommendation. I love to buy a new Christmas book each year so I will go and look for this one.

Thanks for the rec. From reaing the description on Amazon I'm wondering if there is a Santa spoiler aspect to the story. My older two are teetering on the edge of believing (thanks Judy Blume grumble grumble) so I don't think I want to open that line of discussion with the middle two.

Edited by yellowperch

Thanks for the rec. From reaing the description on Amazon I'm wondering if there is a Santa spoiler aspect to the story. My older two are teetering on the edge of believing (thanks Judy Blume grumble grumble) so I don't think I want to open that line of discussion with the middle two.

Yellowperch,

I'm not sure what you mean by a Santa spoiler aspect.

Here's the essence of the story line.

\

\

\

\

If you are reading here, you've been warned. : )

The little sister is coerced/threatened by the big brother into setting a trap to see if there really is a Santa, b/c he doesn't believe Santa is real.

He threatens several kinds of mayhem if she tells about or doesn't help him set up his plan. They lie in wait on Christmas eve, big brother falls asleep, Santa comes, and big brother sheepishly admits he might have been wrong after all.

I'm not sayin' anything about the wordless storyline. I'm not. Don't even ask. :D

If we read it with our kids, it doesn't reveal or divulge anything about childhood fantasies, right?

Again, maybe I'm just dense, but I don't get what you all are asking. The hidden storyline is about how another character in the story has their wish come true, but it has nothing to do with Santa bringing them a gift. As far as I know, since I'm not sure what you mean, there is nothing about "childhood fantasies" named as such.

It's just a straightforward story about a little boy who doesn't believe that Santa comes, but Santa does.