Menu

So, if BCP aren't helping, what next.

I'm on my second cycle since beginning BCP and my period is still super heavy. I thought last month's horrible cycle might have been due to being stupid and packing my pills in a box that I couldn't find for three days, thus starting early. But the fact that this month is just as bad tells me that they just aren't working.

I wear both a Diva Cup and overnight pad together because I overflow the cup. Because I gush at random times, I might go from clean cup and pad to full cup and leaking my pad in a moment. Because of this, I do my very best not to leave the house for day 2 and 3 (the days when this happens). If I have to leave, I try to make the trip under an hour so there's less chance of being stuck in public with bloody pants. Dumping the cup in public isn't possible with my flow. Sometimes my heavy days overlap days that I just can't stay home or make the trips short. On those days, I overflow the cup and change my pads every 45 minutes or so and hope for the best...or that any leakage doesn't show.

I'm beyond frustrated that the pills aren't working. I haven't been on the pill for 12 years. It was a very difficult decision to go back on them. Between the damage my mood swings were causing my family, the heavy blood loss, miserable pregnancies, and being completely overwhelmed with four children, I just didn't see any other option.

I don't want to do anything to permanently affect my fertility (BCP are against my beliefs enough) and I have no health insurance. Money is tight.

Is there any chance a different pill will work? I don't see the point of spending all the money trying to find another one if they aren't going to work either. It will probably take several doctor's visits and prescriptions. It took 6 tries to find one I could tolerate the first time.

I went on BCPs for a while for the same reason. I was using TWO tampons and a pad to get me through an hour or so. I went back, the doctor said I had not given it enough time, to give it at least 90 days. It actually did help, eventually. But, at that time we were also heading into summer and I suspect my problems stemmed from being low on Vitamin D. I haven't had any problems since moving here, I spend lots of time in the sun.

I went on BCPs for a while for the same reason. I was using TWO tampons and a pad to get me through an hour or so. I went back, the doctor said I had not given it enough time, to give it at least 90 days. It actually did help, eventually. But, at that time we were also heading into summer and I suspect my problems stemmed from being low on Vitamin D. I haven't had any problems since moving here, I spend lots of time in the sun.

I don't think vitamin D is my problem. I've had problems with my periods since I started them at age 11; my first one lasted 13 days, with my mother taking me to the doctor for my first pelvic. Moodiness (nastiness, really), extreme cramps, lots of bleeding were problems all throughout my teen years too. I lived in southern California back then...spent most of my time outside with a deep, dark tan to prove it. Even here, where most people are deficient because we live too far north, my vitamin D level was still 50.

I don't think vitamin D is my problem. I've had problems with my periods since I started them at age 11; my first one lasted 13 days, with my mother taking me to the doctor for my first pelvic. Moodiness (nastiness, really), extreme cramps, lots of bleeding were problems all throughout my teen years too. I lived in southern California back then...spent most of my time outside with a deep, dark tan to prove it. Even here, where most people are deficient because we live too far north, my vitamin D level was still 50.

Have they checked your thyroid (including your tsh) and tested you for Hashimoto's (you might not have low thyroid with Hashimoto's, but the antibodies will show up)?

Like I said, my doctor insisted I wait at least 90 days before they tried anything else. And in my case, it did eventually help (maybe in combination with other things).

Have they checked your thyroid (including your tsh) and tested you for Hashimoto's (you might not have low thyroid with Hashimoto's, but the antibodies will show up)?

My doctor tested me for these things with my heavy bleeding as well. In my case, that wasn't the cause. Medically, they said there was nothing wrong with me. I knew better. I started tracking my cycles using NFP methods, and from that I learned that I was very progesterone deficient (only a 9 day luteal cycle, when it should be 14). I did two things that normalized my progesterone: adopted a low-carb diet, and took lots of cod liver oil (for Vitamin A). It worked within my very next cycle. I could tell the difference that quickly. And it continued to improve for six or eight more months.

I took enough CLO to give me 20,000 IU of Vitamin A daily. And I restricted my carbs to less than 100 grams per day. The difference was profound, truly. And those two things have lots of other health benefits as well.

Yes, you can try different pills and get different results. You can ask the doctor if they have any samples for you to try. I finally had good results but as with a lot of people, my body adjusted and I was then back to where I started.

Have you looked into an IUD? I have heard it can help some people.

I ended up having ablation, but I know this is off of your list of things to try.

I took enough CLO to give me 20,000 IU of Vitamin A daily. And I restricted my carbs to less than 100 grams per day. The difference was profound, truly. And those two things have lots of other health benefits as well.

Are you saying I shouldn't eat the 9 dozen or so shortbread cookies I baked yesterday? :w00t:

Yes, you can try different pills and get different results. You can ask the doctor if they have any samples for you to try. I finally had good results but as with a lot of people, my body adjusted and I was then back to where I started.

Have you looked into an IUD? I have heard it can help some people.

I ended up having ablation, but I know this is off of your list of things to try.

That's kind of what happened the first time around. The benefits, especially in the mood swings, disappeared and became just as nasty as before. I don't think my family will survive my monthly cycles; they'd be much better off if I could be locked in a cave for a week or two each month.

I had a Mirena IUD for a couple of months before my cycles returned. However, three weeks later, I developed severe eczema. I've had dry, itchy skin forever, but never eczema. Between that and my constant anxiety about having a foreign object in my body, I had it removed. I now think the eczema might have been caused by something else. But, having no insurance, I can't afford to try again anyway.

Ablation is a surgical alternative, but like you, I'm not willing to go there. I'm having the same difficulties and my options were ablation or hysterectomy. So, I put up with it.

I'd love to know how the vinegar and molasses is supposed to help, other than the molasses adding more iron, which isn't really going to help blood flow but can help with the fatigue.

Also, I haven't had a chance to try it, yet, but my SIL said that she takes 3 doses of 800mg of ibuprofen (8 hr between each) on day 1 & 2. It's supposed to help restrict your arteries, some, helping the blood flow decrease.

I'd love to know how the vinegar and molasses is supposed to help, other than the molasses adding more iron, which isn't really going to help blood flow but can help with the fatigue.

Also, I haven't had a chance to try it, yet, but my SIL said that she takes 3 doses of 800mg of ibuprofen (8 hr between each) on day 1 & 2. It's supposed to help restrict your arteries, some, helping the blood flow decrease.

That would be interesting to know. I take ibuprofen throughout my cycle. It does help a little.

My cycles have shortened and bleeding has gotten a lot less if I use exclusively cloth pads. The disposables seem to make me bleed more.

I've tried them but I can't get them thick enough to not leak through my pants. When cloth pads didn't help, I switched to the Diva Cup which holds about an ounce. I fill it about 6 times during my cycle. Four of those times are just on day 2 and 3 alone. I use pads with it because I still leak heavily with the cup...too heavily to trust cloth pads even with the cup.

Exercise! And I'd try another one.

ETA: I just saw that you've already tried 6...:grouphug:

The other pills may have helped my cycle. I never got a chance to find out. The first one made me throw up all day, every day. That was the clue that helped us figure out why I throw up so much while I'm pregnant. It's the high estrogen levels that make me sick. The second one gave me horrible acne; it covered my face and left scars before the first month was over. Another one made me bleed every. single. day. all month long.

I want to get more exercise. Still trying to figure out how with four kids. Walking is the best thing I've found for weight loss, but my 3 year old can't walk that far (well, neither can my other kids) and I only have a single stroller.

I'm on my second cycle since beginning BCP and my period is still super heavy. I thought last month's horrible cycle might have been due to being stupid and packing my pills in a box that I couldn't find for three days, thus starting early. But the fact that this month is just as bad tells me that they just aren't working.

I wear both a Diva Cup and overnight pad together because I overflow the cup. Because I gush at random times, I might go from clean cup and pad to full cup and leaking my pad in a moment. Because of this, I do my very best not to leave the house for day 2 and 3 (the days when this happens). If I have to leave, I try to make the trip under an hour so there's less chance of being stuck in public with bloody pants. Dumping the cup in public isn't possible with my flow. Sometimes my heavy days overlap days that I just can't stay home or make the trips short. On those days, I overflow the cup and change my pads every 45 minutes or so and hope for the best...or that any leakage doesn't show.

I'm beyond frustrated that the pills aren't working. I haven't been on the pill for 12 years. It was a very difficult decision to go back on them. Between the damage my mood swings were causing my family, the heavy blood loss, miserable pregnancies, and being completely overwhelmed with four children, I just didn't see any other option.

I don't want to do anything to permanently affect my fertility (BCP are against my beliefs enough) and I have no health insurance. Money is tight.

Is there any chance a different pill will work? I don't see the point of spending all the money trying to find another one if they aren't going to work either. It will probably take several doctor's visits and prescriptions. It took 6 tries to find one I could tolerate the first time.

I had an IUD and still had a monthly cycle (although they were light). As soon as it was taken out, I bled like you are describing. The feeling of the 'gushing' is NOT nice... :tongue_smilie: I called Dr and he said it was my body getting used to not having hormones.

Then, I took Seasonique and my .s were normal (and light). They have a coupon on their website for $50 off a three month supply. These pills make you have a . only once every three MONTHS!

Then I changed to Seasonale and even though I have a . every three months with this, the 'week off' it is heavy like before.

SeasonIQUE has the 7 day low dose pills where you have a .

SeaonALE has a 7 day placebo where you DON'T have any hormones for those days. I prefer SeasonIQUE because of the low dose 'period pills' but my insurance won't cover it since there is no generic. :glare:

Just throwing this out there since it might help. Even if you can only afford the SeasonALE (they have a generic, too) a heavy cycle ONLY every three months might make it more bearable.