Menu

What's a handmade gift you would want?

I don't have any wonderful suggestions for you, but I just wanted to mention that I hate it when people make decisions like that, and then expect you to abide by them.

I'm sure it's a lovely thought, but it can be a real pain to have to make gifts for people at this time of year, when everyone is already so busy.

I'm a gift-shopper, not a gift-maker (unless it's by my own choice!)

Cat

Freezer jam.

Buy big bags of strawberries at Costco. (under $2 lb)

Buy pretty glass jars (Amazon if you can't find them right now)

Sugar, lemon juice (depends on your recipe)

Make the jam, layer a pretty piece of fabric/ribbon around the edge and you are done.

A few hours and for $20 a person you can make a nice present.

(Just make sure you have room to store it before the holiday)

Yummmmmy!

If you don't have a lot of room in your freezer, make less and combine it with a selection of cream cheese, crackers, fancy breads, tea, tea cup. If they are strict on an 'all homemade' gift then maybe a homemade (or store bought homemade bread) batch of biscuits or bread.

Visit that gifts in a jar website for ideas. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's one:

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/index.shtml

I'm not sure that's the one I'm thinking of, but a pretty good start nonetheless.

Also, there are lots of free ornament ideas if you're crafty that way (I'm not--little craft projects make me want to poke my eyes out.).

Otherwise:

A knitted scarf

One of those fleece tied blankets.

The ledge shelves from this site (Super fast project with very little actual woodworking required if you have the lumber yard make the cuts--and they can be made long for pictures or short for spice rack in the kitchen, small jars of whatnot in a bathroom etc.).

Edited by darlasowders

Does the gift have to be handmade by you? If you had crafty friends or if there was a craft sale coming up in your area could you buy a gift, support someone else, and still abide by the 'handmade' rule?

Looking for a loophole, I see... :D

Not that I wasn't wondering the same thing... ;)

Cat

Do you have a sewing machine? You could sew up some coasters rather quickly... Take two five inch square pieces of fabric, sew right sides together leaving a little gap for turning, then turn right-side out and topstitch. Stack 6-8 together and tie together with a matching ribbon.

Napkins, placemats, a table runner, cushion covers... all fast projects to sew up.

If you bake, you could make cookies or a cake. I *adore* getting fresh baked goods! My grandmother made me a batch of different cookies last year, all yummy treats I remember from childhood, and it's one of my favourite gifts ever!

You could also pull together some of your favourite recipes, print them on pretty paper, and have them bound at the local copy store. This is especially nice if you have family favourites you can gather from the other women in your group.

Melt and pour soap is easy and fast, and you should be able to find supplies at your local Michaels. Melt the cubes in the microwave, add a few drops of peppermint essential oil and pour into moulds. You can even use an old cardboard juice tin and peel it off the soap afterwards, then slice it up. Add a little bit of oatmeal or poppy seeds and you'll get a nice look and an exfoliating bar. Super easy and lovely gift!

Or how about a kit of some sort that matches the other person's interests? I would consider a basket of craft materials or cooking/baking supplies a handmade gift, especially if you include some handmade instructions. After all, you have to put it together by hand yourself, right? ;)

I *LOVE* handmade Christmas gifts! Have fun with it!!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

For Thanksgiving I gave my family homemade pecan prailines to take home. You could also do peanut brittle, hard candies, or fudge. Even a boxed assortment of Christmas Cookies would be great!

Buy some cute inexpensive coffee/tea mugs. Put a sheet of tissue paper in the mug then fill with packets of tea (or cocoa), a wrapped biscotti, a chocolate dipped spoon, a book mark, etc. Wrap a ribbon around the mug. Or do the mug and add a small zipper bag of homemade cookies - maybe half a dozen.

I hate to say it, but I usually do not like to make or receive handmade gifts (especially made in bulk for *everyone*!) unless the item was requested. :001_huh: BUT, I have been wanting some braided rag coasters (like the ones from Gooseberry Patch, but I know they can be made fairly easily!):

http://thetrendytreehouse.blogspot.com/2010/03/rag-crafting.html

scarf, gloves, and hat - - but it doesn't sound like you have time for that

knit socks - - again, no time

so maybe personalized artwork?

- - use a small canvas so the job doesn't take very long

- - gather items, fabric, photos, newspaper articles, magazine pics/headlines, found objects (broken jewelry or other metal objects, bottle caps, etc), beautiful paper - all things that remind you of that particular person

- - arrange everything on the canvas, trying to cover the canvas as best you can (so you don't have to paint!!! - unless you just love that part), attach items, and seal it all up

Voila! Personalized artwork that requires knowledge of the person and deep thought in choosing items that represent said person . . .

You could make up cake mixes, so they have the convenience of "out of a packet" without all the additives.

Or you could just dump out the boxes of Duncan Hines mix into some ZipLoc bags, decorate them all prettily, and let everyone assume they're getting homemade cake mix without all the additives... I mean, it's not really lying if no one asks... :tongue_smilie:

Ok, maybe that's sort of mean...

I guess a big old box of Bisquick wouldn't count as homemade, either, right? ;)

Cat

Get bundles of skinny sticks from your yard.

Get some green or brown twine.

Get some rustic fabric.

Put the sticks into 5 piles. (Maybe 3 or so sticks in each pile.) Form the 5 piles into a star. Tie the overlapping points together with the twine. Cut the fabric into strips. Tie the fabric strips onto the star as a bow, and then use another strip on the top as the hanger.

I have two of these and they are lovely, so I would love to receive them as gifts, like cinnamon sticks. Or, I just had an idea...maybe you could make tiny stars out of cinnamon sticks? It might work.

If you're crafty, you might be able to find some other stuff to hot glue gun onto the stars.

Edited by Garga

I like those crocheted dishrags, the texture seems to clean better than store bought ones. I also like those kitchen towels with the button that you can loop over a knob or the oven door. A friend's Mom would make bibs out of a hand towel, she'd cut a head hole then crochet around it to reenforce. Those were always our favorites when the kids were younger. And of course, anything baked with chocolate his a hit for me!

I love to look at craft gifts. I have several books/magazines. I don't make that many, but hey maybe next year. Here are some ideas -

1 a casserole dish holder. Use two quilted rectangular place mats sew together on three sided. Add button to the open end top side. Add loop to the bottom of the open side. You could add a frozen casserole inside in a disposable tray to complete the gift.

2. Paint clay pots with a Christmas design and plant a christmas cactus in them. The most simple Christmas design is to do stars and small random dots of white to look like snow.

3. I did the gift in the jar for a few people this year. It was Gingerbread Cake. The mix was in pint jars. I bought small amount of cotton material in a small Christmas print. Cut into squares with pinking shears. Put over top of jar use rubberband. Add raffia make bow. Cut small gingerbread man out of brown paper and have kids decorate or you decorate (make face and glue little button on). Attach the g/b man and card with directions to raffia bow.

4. Buy nice white pillowcases and embroidery something on the end.

"There is no place like Grandma's House"

"His" and "Hers"

"Bon nuit"

"Zzzzzzzzz"

Name

Sweet Dreams

5. Buy simple napkin rings and add a bow of christmas ribbons.

6. Buy big jingle bells and string them on narrow ribbon to make Christmassy necklaces.

7. Write up some family recipes and bind them into a little cookbook.

8. Buy paperwhite bulbs. Look up information on how to force them and time it to be starting to bloom at or after Christmas.

My girlfriends and I do this every year. Some ideas of things that have been made:

rosary

truffles

etched glass with candle

food stuffs

ceramic st. nick

wine charms

planter with mosaic tiles

embroidered towels

lotions & hand creams

good luck - I know this is hard, but it sure is fun to see what everyone makes. Our kids all draw names and make handmade gifts as well. Every year, I'm shocked by the imagination and ability of the kids.

Survival Tin. You can use an altoids tin or buy something cute from the Dollar Store. It's small enough that it can easily fit into a purse or glove compartment, and you never know when it could save someone's life. I know someone who had one of these when his car broke down in a snow storm, and it really came in handy.

Last year, I made both a small tin and a larger BOB (bug-out-box) for friends and family. The BOB is meant to be stored in the trunk, and the container could double as a pot for boiling water. Inside I had a lot of emergency supplies listed for the tin but in larger quantity, plus some other essentials (knife, emergency blanket, etc.).

My SIL made me a rice bag, to heat in the microwave, several years ago. I use it all the time for headaches and to chuck in my sheets in the winter. It is about 5 in. wide but about 20 in. long. It was sewn so that their are 4 different sections of rice (like a quilt) and stays evenly distributed. She also made a removable cover so I can wash it when needed.

My sils just annouced for Christmas all the ladies will do an exchange of handmade only gifts. I'm at a loss.

Last year I knitted each some dishclothes, but there's no time for that now!

Anyone have suggestions for something homemade you would want to get?

Thanks!

Kim

I LOVE handmade dishcloths. Too bad that's out. My sil gave me a knit scarf one year and I have worn it to death and I need another one. I think she bought it from a friend who knit them though.

I think it's fun to get chocolate chip cookie jar mixes. Have you seen those? Maybe they are not handmade enough for what you're doing. You layer the ingredients and put a cute jar topper on it. Sorry, that's probably not much help.

ETA: Reading through other's suggestions. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those fleece tie blankets. I made one for one of sons for Christmas one year and the next year my oldest son asked for one because he coveted his brother's super warm blanket. They are fast and easy but can get expensive if you don't find a good deal on fleece.

Edited by silliness7

What handmade gift would you want?

My top choice would be: A handmade invitation that says to meet you at Starbucks AFTER the holidays & you will treat me to a coffee. ;):D

Other ideas I would like:

A loaf of freshly baked bread

Pinecone (or other) birdseed/birdfeeder things

Funky magnets (maybe -- depends on how they look)

Magnetic bookmarks made w/ a fun print/bright paper

Catnip toys for my cats

Plate of cookies or a cake

In case all inspiration fails you, check out the Deliciously Tacky (But Funny) Homemade Christmas Gifts... or the Home-Made Gag Gift Ideas. Something here might be appropriate for the one who deemed homemade gifts at such a late date, you know. :lol:

Lots of great ideas! I'll have to go back thru the thread and read thru them more closely.

It's too late to knit anything, I'm too slow! They've done those tied fleece blankets to death over the past years. My boys each have THREE a piece on their beds now!

I really love those tiered dishes and the bird feeders. One problem is I have to make 10 gifts, so I have to watch my cost for supplies. Also the difference in ladies, there's single early 20s up thru married 40s-50s, to my widowed MIL in her 70s.

Maybe I can mix up the gifts and do different ones. The problem with the food in a jar is so many of them are diet and exercise nuts, they are soooo particular about what they eat. One sil lives off protein bars and goes to a weight dr 2x week and she only weighs 130 lbs!

Maybe I'll do the body scrubs. That's something I could do for everyone. Last year when I did the dishcloths, I actually made scrubs for the single girls to go with their rags like they were wash cloths. They said they enjoyed the scrubs.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Going back to read thru!

My sils just annouced for Christmas all the ladies will do an exchange of handmade only gifts. I'm at a loss.

Last year I knitted each some dishclothes, but there's no time for that now!

Anyone have suggestions for something homemade you would want to get?

Thanks!

Kim

if people want to do handmade gifts it should be announced in JULY! That is when I start my handmade Christmas gift stuff!

I love embroidered pillowcases. Or as an alternative, get out some ribbon and lace and make a store one pretty.

We don't celebrate Christmas, but in this situation I would probably just go ahead and buy books for everyone anyway. I hate when people try to tell me what to do with my time.

However, it sounds like you're being a much better sport about this than I would be:). Personally, I would love it if my SIL gave me a coupon for a couple of hours of babysitting, but that's probably even more time-consuming than actually making something.