Menu

TOG users...

plain jane

What other supplies (not books- I know there are a *ton* of those :tongue_smilie:) do you need for this TOG (other than the ones that you buy from LSPress)?

I know binders is one- what size would I need for each unit? 3" D ring or 4" D ring?

I got the tabs from TOG... is there anything else I need for the program?

Where/how do you store all the CDs- MapAids, PopQuiz, etc.? What do you use for these?

Do you put each page in a page protector or just put it all in a binder? I do not have the DE edition.

Anything else I'm missing?

Lots of printer ink and paper to print the maps, SAPs, and Lapbooks if you are using them.

I store my CDroms in a regular CD case (you know for audio CDs).

You will also want glue sticks, stapler, and manila folders if you are using the Lapbooks.

I have 4 2" binders for TOG units (with the dividers). I am just starting out myself, so I am not sure about the sizes you will need for older kids. My DD is LG and I have given her a 1" binder to start with that has 8 dividers in it for the different subjects.

Also, if you are doing writing aids...level 1 needs a 3x5 or 4x6 index card box for a word bank with dividers and index cards to fit it. You can either use colored cards for the different parts of speech, or you can get plain white cards and put a sticker in the corner that marks which type it is. I chose the sticker route because some words can be more than one. Example: love can be a noun or a verb. I use the foil stars for the stickers (i can get them at the dollar store) and DD picked a color to use for each part of speech.

Hope that helps some!

Oh...just remembered something else!

A friend of mine recommended that if you have grammar stage students to get clear printable labels (small address size) to print all of the places you need to label on the maps onto. Then they can locate where things are and use the stickers to label them rather than have to write out the names of the places themselves. My DD has been really happy with this arrangement!

Oh...just remembered something else!

A friend of mine recommended that if you have grammar stage students to get clear printable labels (small address size) to print all of the places you need to label on the maps onto. Then they can locate where things are and use the stickers to label them rather than have to write out the names of the places themselves. My DD has been really happy with this arrangement!

I prefer to have my dd label the book by hand because it helps her learn a skill that will be used all through school. It also helps students with their memory because there is a definite connection with writing, placement and memory both on maps and timelines. (SWB points this out in TWTM.)

I just keep my CD's in the pocket of each unit's binder. With each unit change, I just move the CD's over to the new binder. This way they are always handy and I know where they are without adding any more clutter to our school room area.

Other than this, I'd agree with the others in that you'll need plenty of ink cartridges, glue sticks, and a general TOG binder for each child. We keep an additional notebook for language arts, but that is not necessary. You'll also need colored pencils for maps. If you have a D level students, you'll need to consider a timeline of some sort - either handmade or one of the fancy pre-printed types.

I'd say the resource books, dividers and binders are the main components.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I put all of my discs in special cd sleeves that can be put into a binder. I just move it to the binder of whichever unit I am using at the time.

I use 1 1/2" binders and they seem to be big enough. I don't use page protectors though. I like to keep my binders as small as possible. I have years 2-4 in binders this size, and so far so good. One other thing I do to make my life easier is print out the teachers copies of maps and evaluations and put them in the back of each unit.

I prefer to have my dd label the book by hand because it helps her learn a skill that will be used all through school. It also helps students with their memory because there is a definite connection with writing, placement and memory both on maps and timelines. (SWB points this out in TWTM.)

I probably could have worded my post better, but I was in a hurry! Your DD is much older than mine, so I can see that labeling the maps by hand is very doable for her. I agree that if they are of an age where they can accomplish this without much struggle, then by all means do it written. I agree that labeling them by hand would likely increase memory of the maps. When I suggested the stickers, I was meaning only for the very young (LG). My DD is turning 6 this month. She loves learning the maps, but loathes trying to make her hands try to fit all these long city names in the maps when her fine motor skills cannot do it yet. It takes away from the learning she could do when she is frustrated with what her hands find difficult to do.

Most of my suggestions were for the younger set because that is what I have experience with. The OP doesnt specify her child/rens age/s.

I hope that clarifies what I meant earlier. And I dont mean for it to sound defensive, though I know it probably comes across that way:). Just 'splanen further!

Most of my suggestions were for the younger set because that is what I have experience with. The OP doesnt specify her child/rens age/s.

I hope that clarifies what I meant earlier. And I dont mean for it to sound defensive, though I know it probably comes across that way:). Just 'splanen further!

No problem, dear. I only chimed in because I've read threads where some moms have their older kids use the labels too, I guess because they want the maps to be neater (?). As a very hands-on person myself, I always advocate for handwriting as much as possible.

No offense taken or meant to imply. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I put all of my discs in special cd sleeves that can be put into a binder. I just move it to the binder of whichever unit I am using at the time.

I use 1 1/2" binders and they seem to be big enough. I don't use page protectors though. I like to keep my binders as small as possible. I have years 2-4 in binders this size, and so far so good. One other thing I do to make my life easier is print out the teachers copies of maps and evaluations and put them in the back of each unit.

Oh, I LIKE your ideas...a LOT!! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Jane,

I don't buy their binders, but I do buy the Map Aids, Pop Quiz and D level Evaluations. You can buy them digital, even if you got print, you just can't sell them then.

Heather

Same here, although we just started. Oh, we also get the Lapbook templates. I have a LG student in grade 1 and I did start printing the SAP's but quickly realized that I do not need them, at least for now. I made my son a notebook and make my own notebook pages including some of the activities from the SAP's. I do not print anything at this time since I open TOG and use it directly off of Adrian's computer, which we have on our school table. I have been doing the same with programs I have purchased on PDF, like FLL, RS4K (just printed the Lab workbook on this one) and SOTW AG. So, I have not purchased any additional binders for TOG, other than a binder that I picked up from Walmart for Adrian's notebook.

I agree on the ink and paper. I use quite a bit of both for our notebook pages. I download images from google a lot and use them on the notebook pages I make, for the vocabulary words mostly.

For the lapbook booklets you will need construction paper (I just skimmed through the posts, so not sure if it was already mentioned). I printed all the maps and I either have Adrian write or I write for him. I like the label idea for the maps though, that a pp mentioned! I think I might use that one.

ETA: We also purchased the special folders that TOG carries for the lapbooks instead of using regular file folders.

Edited by Guest

I have 4" D ring binders, but I put my lesson plans behind the pages for the week, each child has a page, so I am adding to the total page count by a bit. (I don't believe TOG sells binders.)

I have the Lapbook for Unit 1, so far it is a hit but my DC like to color their own things so I print on white paper with the TOG folders. I also have mapaids for the first unit (I don't plan to use them for the remaining units this year, I use the SOTW AG and I have found I just add the additional map work to that), and the Pop Quiz for the first unit (these are on sale this month and I have found them useful for myself as well as my DH so I will be buying the rest). I also have the evaluations but I am on the fence about those.

Lots of paper and ink. I only print what SAP's I am going to use, which isn't that many yet at this stage (LG, UG, and D).

My DC also have their own binders. I took their history pages last year and had them bound into a book for Ancients so I will probably do the same with them this year.

I have 4" D ring binders, but I put my lesson plans behind the pages for the week, each child has a page, so I am adding to the total page count by a bit. (I don't believe TOG sells binders.)

I have the Lapbook for Unit 1, so far it is a hit but my DC like to color their own things so I print on white paper with the TOG folders. I also have mapaids for the first unit (I don't plan to use them for the remaining units this year, I use the SOTW AG and I have found I just add the additional map work to that), and the Pop Quiz for the first unit (these are on sale this month and I have found them useful for myself as well as my DH so I will be buying the rest). I also have the evaluations but I am on the fence about those.

Lots of paper and ink. I only print what SAP's I am going to use, which isn't that many yet at this stage (LG, UG, and D).

My DC also have their own binders. I took their history pages last year and had them bound into a book for Ancients so I will probably do the same with them this year.

I'm a mean demanding mommy, so I use both :p. I like SOTW's maps because they are easier to figure out for my boy but I also like the TOG ones because I am teaching him how to research Encyclopedias for the information he needs. We are using Usborne's Internet linked Encyclopedia of World History and Usborne's Interent Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World as resources for both TOG and SOTW. I have also had to use the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World Geography and Geography from A to Z by Jack Knowlton for the TOG Geography portion. I am so glad to have these resources on hand :)!