Menu

Questions about Song School Latin

JESSICAinMD

If you use Song School Latin, do you use it alone or with another program?

If you use another program, which one do you use?

What ages do you use SSL with?

How often do you do a lesson?

How long are your lessons?

Is it easy to teach if you have no background in Latin?

Thanks!

We use it for ages 5, 7 and 10. Everyone likes it and it is so easy for us to get done. It is ds7's favorite subject. I needed an easy intro into Latin. It is very easy. It is all we do. I've ordered Latin for Children A for next year. I think we could easily have skipped SSL, but like I said, it was a great intro for us.

We do it for 5-15 mins each day, 1 pp per day, and have added the coloring pages and video on headventureland.com to our time. They like that. I typed up the songs and vocab and put them in memory review time too.

I have no background in Latin.

If they didn't love it, it would be the first thing I'd drop bc/ they could easily cover this content in later years. But, they would be so mad at me!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am using it alone with my 6yo. We do the workbook 3 days a week and listen to the cd 5 days a week. I am going to make the book last 2 years, so he really gets a chance to learn it. I do not have a Latin background. My 6yo really likes it, he told me it is his favorite thing to do. Lessons are 5-10 minutes.

I use it alone for my 6yo and my 4yo likes to listen in but doesn't have a workbook.

We do one lesson a week on 2 separate days. We do all of the workbook on one day along with the song(s) and then review on Friday.

Lessons really don't take long at all...maybe 15 mins at the most. Sometimes they will go around for another 20 mins or so practicing or teaching dh.

I don't have any Latin background and it is very easy. I'm learning right along with them and rely on the cd for pronunciation.

Ds6 likes it so much that he's convinced me to do SSG next. They have a convenient ad in the back of the workbook :D

I think SSL is super fun and easy to implement. My son (5), loves it, and his 2 year old brother begs to hear the CD. We do one lesson per week, spending about 15-20 minutes at once and then listening to the CD a few times during the week to reinforce the lesson and review previous lessons.

Ds is intensely interested in learning more Latin, so I'm planning to start using Getting Started with Latin, and alternating lessons between that and SSL. We haven't tried this yet, as I'm waiting for my GSWL which should arrive any day. SSL by itself is a nice fun introduction though.

If you use Song School Latin, do you use it alone or with another program? My kids in SSL are only using SSL, but they're also absorbing some from their older siblings' LFC and the free extras CAP comes out with. (Just recently it was a Latin word a day advent calendar.)

What ages do you use SSL with? My 2nd grader and precocious K'er are doing SSL this year.

How long are your lessons? We stretch one lesson out to last a five day week. It takes a match card deck (homemade) and playing at Headventure Land to stretch the smaller lessons that far.

Is it easy to teach if you have no background in Latin? Easy peasy lemon squeezy. :001_smile:

We use it alone - at the moment, Latin is done for fun.

All of them - DD11 and DD9 do the workbook pages, and everyone listens to the CD.

Just once a week at the moment, but we sometimes have the CD on in the car.

How long are your lessons?

The older girls take up to an hour, but mostly less; the little ones just do the songs with the CD.

Well thankfully, I've found it easy enough! It was one of my concerns when I was looking for a Latin program - I needed something that I could learn along with them because I didn't know any.

I'm using Song School Latin with my seven year old first grader. We tried Prima Latina and Lively Latin but they were just too much for right now. I have no latin background.

We all love Song School Latin. It is extremely easy to teach and my dd loves it. Even the three year old will sing some of the songs. I downloaded the free coloring sheets from the website and dd loves to color them and tape them up all over the place. Even dh is picking up some latin just by hearing it from the kids.

We do a lesson three times a week, and listen to the cd. A lesson is about ten minutes, and dd does coloring on her own. She practices spontaneously too, which is fun. I am likely to have her jump in front of me and shout "hey, hey, quid agis?"

I wish they would do a Song School Latin level two! We will finish ours this year just because dd likes it so much.

We use SSL alone for my dd6. We do a lesson each day but only cover one lesson in the book each week. We spend about 10 minutes a day. One day we introduce the vocab, day 2 we listen to the CD several times and sing together, day 3-5 we review the words and do some kind of activity with them usually repeating what is in the book.

The program is very easy to use, requires no background. IMO you don't even need a teacher's manual.