Menu

Am I the only crazy one buying for next year already?

LunaLee

My son is still in preschool and I already have: 4 Ray's books (the first two texts, the keys, and the parent-teacher guide), two sets of McGuffey's (1830s and 1870s), as well as the parent-teacher guide to those, the complete MEP stuff downloaded, complete Math Mammoth light blue series on CD, various and sundry books on homeschool theory, curriculum, and educational theory (the Liping Ma book on elementary mathematics was the latest to arrive). I won't even get into all the books I've bought for read-alouds/early readers. Let's just say that it's most of the Sonlight P3/4 books, as well as a few selections from Ambleside Online or the Good Books list at the Great Books Academy.

Add to that: 100 EZ lessons, OPGTR, HOP levels 1-5 as well as extra readers and Master Reader, Sonlight Fun Tales, BOB Books, FLL levels 1-2, WWE teacher guide, Primary Language Lessons (Serl), and I'm strongly debating the Math games set from Rightstart Math.

So... no, I don't think you're crazy at all. ;)

Oh, also Webster's Blue Backed Speller and Spelling Power. And a few trillion gigabytes of free things downloaded from ze interwebs.

I've bought everything used and/or on sale, so that if we decide not to use it I'm more or less just out the cost of shipping. Having these things in hand and ready to look over has proved more than worth that price!

Guest Dulcimeramy

I bought Tapestry of Grace DE Year 1.

My son will begin the Rhetoric level in the fall, and I'm going to need all these months to figure out the program, make my plans, and buy the books!

I'm tackling one unit at a time.

I've started. There were some great coupons at Borders last week, so I picked up a few hardback books I need for next year.

Since I'm going to the convention in Greenville, I'm going to try to wait and do the bulk of my curriculum shopping there (to save on shipping costs). I am going to start buying supplemental books for ds's history & science, though, and the books to put together dd's social sciences. As soon as I figure out what we're doing for dd's math & lit for the rest of this year, that is. :tongue_smilie:

I've bought our Latin and our writing and ordered tons of books off paperbackswap for our next year of history study. we already own math bc/ i bought the cd of all levels of MM. Now I wish someone would tell us if there is a way to get the next level of MCT on sale sometime! I think I'll be ordering Atelier, although I'd love to get it used. I got our next levels of Italics on paperbackswap too! Oh, I already bought the next AAS too. Wow - we are almost set except for MCT!

I bought a few things for next year already. I'm accumulating as we speak. I already got American History Stories Volumes I-IV by Mara Pratt, and the Children's Encyclopedia of American History. I have the whole MM Light Blue Series, so up to 6th grade. Check. I got Miquon Red and Green too, I believe. Serl's PLL should take me one more year too, and next year I'm adding some Voyages in English 3, which I bought right here on the boards.

Next on the list, to be bought either this weekend or the next, are:

Sentence Composing for Elementary School

BFSU II: Elementary Science Education

The American Story: 100 Tales from American History

Considering combining this with BFSU:

My Pals are Here 5/6 (as per a recent thread's recommendations)

I usually wait until January, but I always buy over a long period of time because I have a monthly budget. That's how the money trickles in. I am planning to buy some stuff in December if I find it on sale. I think I'll place a CAP order for sure (Art of Argument and Greek are 20% off, not sure if Latin is too). And if MCT wants to run an end-of-year sale (please oh please) I'll place that order too.

I am pretty much all set for next year. Is that a little embarassing or what? But, I know my son is doing MFW highschool so I got that. My daughter is in the 6th going on 7th grade, has gone all the way through the history cycle which she will go through again in highschool (MFW) so we are taking the nect two years to learn cooking, sewing, hospitality, child care etc. in place of her history cycle. I just happen to have been picking up math and science for the next year for the both of them and my littles will be doing mostly what they are now. My 5 year old is pretty dyslexic and immature (boy:001_smile:) and my little girl is only 3 so we are giong to be pretty set for next year. Whatever am I going to do when I hear a great curriculum that I want to do and don't want to replace what I have for this or next year? 2012? My husband will have a fit! This place is a blessing and a curse!

Umm, no, next year is all planned out already and I have a list of books I'm looking for, several of which are already purchased. However I use the excuse that I'm in the States and I need to buy it to take back with me (which is why I'm also on the lookout for materials I'm going to use for 5th :D).

I start at this time almost every year. Especially if it's something I know we'll be using. I also will buy for many years in advance if I find something at a good price that we just love, such as teaching textbooks.

I actually get a direct deposit from dh's check each month for school stuff, so it's usually easier for me to buy it a little at a time instead of saving up and then putting in a bunch of orders at once. If most of our things came from one source I'd probably wait and make one large purchase, but I prefer to go directly to the company/or it's the only place to get a lot of our items.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I keep a list of books needed for next year in my purse. I stop in Goodwill once or twice a month and scan the shelves. I have found some awesome deals this way. I also check Ebay and classifieds periodically for what I need. I only buy the really cheap items this early.

I just ordered first grade materials last week because we're starting in the middle (DS is in school now, coming out at Christmas). I decided today to change one subject last minute, and I placed a R&S order. Well, if I'm ordering from them now, I might as well order enough to make shipping worth it, so I got 2nd grade English while I was at it. We won't start that until fall.

I do have my spreadsheet with everything I plan to use for second grade, where to buy it, and what the price is. So when the time comes, if I don't change curriculum based on what we experience next semester, I'll be ready to buy.

Oh, I also got 2nd grade Math Mammoth, but that was because it was on sale and I'll most definitely need it before the end of first grade.

Typically, I would answer, "Yes, you are crazy," But this year is differnt. I had a huge parent-teacher conference with myself on a bad day. It was one of those days when you look at what you are doing and decide that even though it is working right now, it won't work next year.

Seeing my oldest student moving into the logic stage before I was ready for it, and knowing that my youngest will need more structure as she moves out of the kindergarten years really scared me. I even looked up local alternatives to homeschooling.

I made a plan for next year. I have a list for next year. I have started looking at my favorite local used bookstore for books on my list. I have even bought a few things. It has made me feel better.

I bought Tapestry of Grace DE Year 1.

My son will begin the Rhetoric level in the fall, and I'm going to need all these months to figure out the program, make my plans, and buy the books!

I'm tackling one unit at a time.

This is me as well except I bought the print since it was on sale and we're going into Dialectic level.

Um...yeah...quite a bit, in fact. I need a looooooooonnng time to plan for next year. Logic Stage, you know.

And yes, this as well. I'm gathering Logic stage materials to ensure that they will work for us and are what I want. So far I have a few WTM suggestions as well as CW Homer & Poetry since RR had them in their bargain bin. I figure it'll take me some time to wrap my head around both CW and TOG. :willy_nilly:

I don't typically buy this early for the next year (unless it's something used that a fantastic price) but I have a feeling that next year is going to be a big step for us and I want to be prepared as best I can.

Edited by plain jane

i'm finalizing my decisions now & when we get our tax return, i'll buy it all. this is how i do it every year though, as it's the only time i'm guaranteed the funds.

:iagree:This is exactly how it works for us too. It's got its up- and down-sides--but since it's what's available, it's what I do. :)

My child in K this year will be starting MM 1 in January, and I already have 2a and 2b purchased for her. I also bought WWE1 so I could check it out for next year (we need to work more on the physical act of writing before we start it.........otherwise I'd start now).

I bought some early logic books for both DC for next year.

I have been researching science and history options for my oldest. I still don't know what exactly I'll be doing, but I have picked up a few used books already to check them out. I've also purchased MM5 (a and b) although we're currently only in 3b. :tongue_smilie:

Guest momk2000

If you're crazy, then I'm crazy - lol! I have already purchased a few items used for next year and will start actively purchasing each month after the New Year. I made my final shopping list for 2011/12 last week. Would love to buy it all in one shot, but ouch!

I started with the Lulu coupon code. My sister, DH, and I all placed orders for books with the $20 off $20 code. I also had a code for free shipping on $50, which made books cheaper than Amazon or Heart of Dakota so I have almost all the books I need now for Preparing. Money is tight and will probably be even tighter for us in 2011 so I have to get the lowest prices! Haven't had much luck getting the titles from paperbackswap. I will buy the Preparing guide new to support the author. There are also 4-5 other titles I will buy from HOD.

I already have all of Beyond because I thought we would use it this year, but then switched to Bigger and Little Hearts.

It's a lot easier to find used materials in July/August/September than in April/May, so as soon as I find what I'm looking for, I go ahead and buy it. I bought my 15yo's history for next year in August. As soon as I see the English level I'm looking for, I'll go ahead and buy it too. I'm not even sure at this point whether I'm going to have her do English at the cc or use OM English 12 at home next year (whichever one she does next year, she'll do the other one the following year).

I have two precalculus programs for my 15yo to use next year. One of them is Larson's that I used with my oldest last year, but I didn't really care for it. I bought Lial's Precalculus used a few weeks ago to look through and I like it better.

I also already have OM 7 history and English for my youngest to use next year, but I'm pretty sure she'll be going to ps instead.

I have almost all that I need for next year already!;) I started buying WAYYYYY early because we are moving in the summer and I wanted to have everything for our school in one box so that I wasn't hunting all over the place for what we needed. So, yeah, I'm crazy too...crazy loves crazy, right?:lol:

well, I've been trying really, really hard not to buy anything yet! :D I've got books in various shopping carts all over the internet but with Christmas coming and no reason AT ALL to buy now....and the fact I'm getting to go to an awesome convention this year (yay!! thanks dh!!), I really shouldn't. Sigh.... but I wanna!!

well, I've been trying really, really hard not to buy anything yet! :D I've got books in various shopping carts all over the internet but with Christmas coming and no reason AT ALL to buy now....

This is kinda how I feel, hard to justify buying curriculum for next year right now when X-mas is around the corner, but the stuff I've been getting was just to good of a deal to pass up. :D

We're actually starting a brand new curriculum (OM2) in January, that should last all year, but for next year (either August 2011 or January 2012 :tongue_smilie:) I already have all the Miquon books and will ask my husband to print and bind the next couple of levels of MEP, so math will be taken care of through roughly 3rd grade. Depending on whether we use BFSU this year, I may already have science covered, too. I also have the next level of WWE, which we will use after Oak Meadow is done. Oh, and spelling. I had more stuff than I thought. :001_huh: To be fair, I originally planned on piecing everything together and then changed course to OM, so most of this stuff I had anticipated using this year, but it's nearly all flexible so I can use it the year after. Heck, if I REALLY didn't want to buy anything for history, I could get by with CHOW and library books. :lol: I knew my curriculum addiction would come in handy some day! About all I have left to buy is art and music, and maybe a couple of critical thinking/logic books.

I have many of the books for our Sonlight years all the way through already because I have an amazing used bookstore here and I use Paperbackswap heavily. DD11 has always been a fast reader but she is already through most of the books for the year and we are only 16 weeks in so I am drawing heavily on recommendations from WTM and here and buying lots of books. I use Sonlight as my skeleton schedule and then add in. So I've been buying ahead for next year for years...:D