Menu

Protocol

I have a Christmas gift-giving protocol question...

What would you do with the 14-year-old son of your dad's live-in companion who is also a former stepmom? (She was my stepmom when I was a teenager, they divorced years ago, and have recently "shacked up"). They are all coming to visit for Christmas next weekend. What does one do?!? Buy a gift? Not buy a gift? Laugh hysterically at the absurdity of the whole situation?!?

Thanks for your input!

What would you do with the 14-year-old son of your dad's live-in companion who is also a former stepmom? (She was my stepmom when I was a teenager, they divorced years ago, and have recently "shacked up"). They are all coming to visit for Christmas next weekend. What does one do?!? Buy a gift? Not buy a gift? Laugh hysterically at the absurdity of the whole situation?!?

Absolutely buy something for this boy, iTunes or other gift card is pretty much a sure thing. I remember my then-stepmom's sister's family sending gifts to my sister and me for a few years. Although we were teenagers and pretended not to care, it was a gesture that touched us very much--obviously it was something I remember vividly, 30 years later.

And yes, you can laugh about the absurdity of it all. FAMILY!!!! HOLIDAYS!!! I'd invite a lot of Mike's along too (as in Lemonade), lol.

:cheers2:

I may just go with the good, old, teenage standard of cash folded in fun and funky origami shapes... :-) Thanks for all the gift-card ideas, too! They are kind of a farm family in a very small town, so cash might be the best bet.

It just struck me that there was a kid involved this year! I'm really, really glad I thought about it before they arrived. That would be horrid.

Edited by hmdavis02