Menu

If you *had* to choose an accredited program.....

My older son was THRILLED with American school. I started using it with my younger son too, but was talked into quitting it, and I very much regret that. I ended out resorting to needing to have him take the GED.

Both of my boys decided to attend a junior college while underage, as a REGULAR students (not duel enrolled) using FAFSA pell grants. Accredited diplomas are required, or at the very least greatly facilitate this option of schooling in the late teens.

This option allows low income students to graduate from college At 18 or 19, financially independent, and not saddled down with any debt.

My older son was THRILLED with American school. I started using it with my younger son too, but was talked into quitting it, and I very much regret that. I ended out resorting to needing to have him take the GED.

Both of my boys decided to attend a junior college while underage, as a REGULAR students (not duel enrolled) using FAFSA pell grants. Accredited diplomas are required, or at the very least greatly facilitate this option of schooling in the late teens.

This option allows low income students to graduate from college At 18 or 19, financially independent, and not saddled down with any debt.

Huh. I think American School would top my list of programs *not* to use. Dh's younger brother & sisters used AS, and I helped youngest SIL with some of her lessons. I found the material to be very dry and uninspired, as well as poorly laid-out. This was 9 or 10 years ago, though, so it's possible they've changed their courses since then.

Also, American School consistently lost courses for all three of my BIL/SILs. BIL was within one class of graduating when he was told he still needed something like 5 courses. :001_huh: SILs had similar experiences. FIL & MIL got to the point where they made copies of absolutely everything, as they had to send copies of completed coursework and copies of course completion paperwork back to AS on multiple occasions.

I'm glad to hear it worked well for you, though!

I've looked at Kolbe as something I might use for my dc when they're older, even though we're not Catholic. The History/Literature courses look really good. K12 is something else I'd consider using. No experience with either, though, so would love to hear from people who have actually used them. :)

There was an American School forum, I frequented while my boys were enrolled, where I learned any tips and tricks needed.

So many people quit AS only to return. My neighbor wanted a Christian curriculum, so wouldn't allow her daughter to use AS, as as the years rolled on...it turned into a nightmare.

All in all, at the end, taking everything into account, I more and more appreciated the total package of AS and the doors it opened for my low income child.

Now for moms with more education and more money and more health than I had...maybe there were better options :-0 But I have seen several parents throw so much more time and money at correspondence schools, to get so much less back. It was sad to watch.

For High School- secular K12 Icademy is the best, but expensive. The clubs and education they get out of it are awesome.

For Christian-Veritas tops the cake, they have awesome teachers and classical education. They dont have clubs but are starting.

I think the extra curriculars that dd did in Icademy made a difference in college. We will see how it works w/second dd.

I will say that I gave someone info about American School last year and they ended up choosing it for their child. I always thought it was NOT a way to go either, but they've been giving me updates on what they're doing and it seems that AS is updating their texts and programming, at least somewhat. They are using the same Brown, Dolciani algebra books that we're using, for instance. And there were some other texts they mentioned to me that I was familiar with, too, that were good options. So I do think they are trying to update....

Another vote for American School. 3 of my children graduated with AS, and my "baby" is now using it. It isn't exciting, but it works. They will accept credits from other accredited programs, so my son is also taking some ind. study classes through BYU, and AS adds them to his transcript, either as electives or replacement for AS requirements. I don't know many other programs that offer the ease, low cost, and years of experience that AS has.