Menu

Back from the pediatric endocrinologist, need help with lab results...

Some of you may remember a previous post I made about my 12 yo dd's lab results from the ped. We've been to the pediatric endocrinologist now, and I don't completely understand what the lab results mean. If I list them, maybe someone here can help me understand?

The pertinent numbers appear to be:

FASTING

Cortisol, Serum, AM--20.8 (range: 3.0-25.0)

Insulin--19 (range <17)

C-Peptide--4.2 (range 0.8-3.1)

ACTH--60 (range 9-57)

Hemoglobin A1C--5.5

NON-FASTING (3 hours later?)

Cortisol, free 24 hour--15.5 (range 1.0-45.0)

Creatinine Urine--1.42 (range 0.17-1.41)

Glucose--91 (range 65-99)

Insulin--38 (range <17)

C-Peptide--7.0 (range 0.8-3.1)

Anyone care to take a stab at explaining what the numbers mean to me? I'm not sure I completely understood the doc's explanations.

A quick google search turned up Cushing's for the elevated insulin, ACTH, and C-peptide levels. The elevated insulin and C-peptide levels may indicate insulin resistance/metabolic disorder. However, her normal glucose and Hemoglobin A1C levels may preclude pre-diabetes. The site I read said pre-diabetes A1C starts at 5.7 and diabetes is diagnosed at 7. Of course, I am not a doctor and only play one on the internet.:lol:

What were her cholesterol numbers?

What did the Dr. say?

What I took away from the conversation was that she doesn't have diabetes yet (yay!), but is rather strongly insulin resistant. I still can't seem to wrap my mind around how it all works and what the difference is.

She's been put on Metformin, because in spite of a multitude of healthy dietary and lifestyle changes over the last year, she still gained more than 11 pounds in the last three months.

If you have experience with Metformin, how likely is it to help?

What I took away from the conversation was that she doesn't have diabetes yet (yay!), but is rather strongly insulin resistant. I still can't seem to wrap my mind around how it all works and what the difference is.

She's been put on Metformin, because in spite of a multitude of healthy dietary and lifestyle changes over the last year, she still gained more than 11 pounds in the last three months.

If you have experience with Metformin, how likely is it to help?

Metformin is a hypoglycemic - it lowers your bloodsugar. It can work very well. You need to look out for her bloodsugar getting too low though. You will know if she gets shaky, nauseated or has a headache esp. around the time she should eat.

Regular meals and snacks will help. Having a bit of protein at each meal will help. Having more of her carbs in the form of vegetables or whole fruits (not juices) will help. Having regular exercise will help esp. if you have had some protein before doing it.

The difference between being diabetic and insulin resistant is basically that her pancreas is still working to produce insulin.

Jean's right, and the IR stage is where the pancreas is still functioning, so it's a point at which lifestyle changes can make a HUGE contribution to longterm results.

Read up on what supports drops in IR. One of the main things is exercise. The best recommendation that I know of is to walk for 10 minutes every time you eat, and to exercise aerobically for one hour 6 days per week as well.

Another is not flooding your system with something that will increase blood sugar rapidly.

If the pancreas has a chance to rest up, and is not continually overstressed by needing to overproduce insulin, then this might not progress to diabetes.