Menu

World History Course in 2 Years?

Guest Jennifer B. in SC

Guest Jennifer B. in SC

I'm looking for a world history course that will last two years. I've looked at Sonlight, TOG and MFW and they don't interest me. Any suggestions?

How old is the child who needs this?

For a student up to about 5th grade, I would use the 4 volumes of Story of the World. I would go through the TOC of each book and redline about half of the chapters and then proceed. Have them narrate (orally or in writing depending on the age) several time a week, locate places on a map noting what the locations are in modern times, and keep a timeline. Alternatively you could do the entire series without redlining, but you'd probably need to spend an hour each day 4-5 days per week.

Over 5th grade, I would use a good history encyclopedia (Kingfisher or the like). Go through and select the topics you want to cover and spread them out over two years. Have them outline as described by SWB in TWTM, keep a timeline and do mapwork. Assign additional library reading on key topics, with a weekly 1-2 page written discussion on these topics.

For high school, I think you would need to look at your requirements for graduation and college to decide how to approach.

My personal approach would probably be to use K12's 7th and 8th grade program, if it was for a student in the logic stage. Or 9th grade.

Or just get these books (k12's Human Odyssey) and use them on your own. You can find them used along with the student and teacher guides usually fairly inexpensively.

Depending on the age I'd do this idea (middle school) or "redlining" SOTW as mentioned in a previous post (elementary school).

:001_smile: