Menu

Waldorf-Inspired Families

I might switch to main lesson books for most subjects.

I might try ALGF for the youngest. The have come great videos to get your started!

I would start a nature table.

I might go to etsy.com and type in waldorf.

I would most certainly chuck the crappy art supplies and buy some beeswax crayons and start some weekly wet on wet watercolor painting.

See if anyone wants to learn to knit or do wet felting.

I would buy a variety of baskets from Goodwill. I would go through and get rid of broken toys or unused toys or loud annoying toys. I would put blocks in a basket, cars in a basket, people in a basket, animals in a basket etc.

I would buy some playsilks from Darhma and dye them with Koolaid.

I would start changing the colors of my house. This has helped me a lot. I was inspired by the coloring of waldorfmama's blog and pics of her home. I've always had lots of dark colors like red, black, with bits of tan. We have lived in Washington State for most of our marriage and we both hate the winter. I think as I have started to lighten things up a bit I feel better. I started with the kitchen and my room. I'm working through the living room next.

I might try ALGF for the youngest. The have come great videos to get your started!

I would most certainly chuck the crappy art supplies and buy some beeswax crayons and start some weekly wet on wet watercolor painting.

I would buy a variety of baskets from Goodwill. I would go through and get rid of broken toys or unused toys or loud annoying toys. I would put blocks in a basket, cars in a basket, people in a basket, animals in a basket etc.

I would start changing the colors of my house. This has helped me a lot. I was inspired by the coloring of waldorfmama's blog and pics of her home. I've always had lots of dark colors like red, black, with bits of tan. We have lived in Washington State for most of our marriage and we both hate the winter. I think as I have started to lighten things up a bit I feel better. I started with the kitchen and my room. I'm working through the living room next.

Thank you for your suggestions! Very helpful!

Wool underwear! Love it for layering and playing outside. :)

I think the PP's list is good. Some of my favorite parent books are the Seasons of Joy ebooks, A Child's Seasonal Treasury, You Are Your Child's First Teacher, All Year Round, Simplicity Parenting, and Heaven on Earth.

For kids we love Gerda Muller, Elsa Beskow, and Sibylle von Olfers.

Favorite toys are blocks, wooden animals, vehicles, and silks! Favorite toymakers are Elves and Angels, Grimm's Spiel und Holz, Fagus, and Ostheimer.

We like Stockmar and Lyra art supplies but also use a fair amount of Crayola and make our own playdoh.

Those are all great suggestions (except maybe the video - Waldorf doesn't do technology.)

Definitely main lesson books, beeswax block and stick crayons and wet on wet watercolor. That's your $100.

If you get a good sale/Goodwill find etc., add in playsilks, wool/roving and nature tables.

Get rid of the TV/computer/any computer games/radio/ipod etc

Go organic.

What a wonderful list -- you might want to add:

wood recorders

large knitting needles and real wool

Have the child draw a picture on the left side and do a narration on the right. You can keep one for each block or subject. You don't have to be A Waldorf Purest to usethem. They make nice little keepsakes.

BTW..the DVD's from A Little Garden Flower are to teach the parent about Waldorf methods like Block Crayons and Form Drawing.

K....the lists have me overwhelmed! Lol

I think you need to look at what part of Waldorf you are draw to. Is it the art? The delayed academics? The nature aspect? The rhythm?

That kind of narrows down where to start. :)

So.....why are you feeling led to Waldorf? Then I can answer better.

Learn to bake bread and bake bread with your children :)

Nature walks, collecting for your nature table

Create a rhythm to your day/week

Eliminate clutter

Downsize toys and try eliminating any media character related ones

Try making your own toys with natural objects

For books:

You are Your Child's First Teacher - you can find it used for about $5-$10

All Year Round is great for seasonal craft activities for you to make and ideas to celebrate. It's around $20.

As with any endeavor, trying to do the free stuff first is better than spending money. That way you can see what you want to add or leave out. The craft supplies you have on hand are probably fine, after they're used up, you might consider switching to Waldorf recommended. We personally choose quality and favorites rather than genre related....we have glitter glue and regular Crayola crayons, Prismacolor markers.

Edited by jadedone80

I was thinking about this thread nursing the baby overnight, and I wanted to add that for us, there are two things that make us "Waldorf," or at least "not mainstream." First, that our children have no screen time. This was a decision we made before becoming parents, before we knew anything about Waldorf education, but was based on child development reading and the effects of screens on young children. Not always easy, as I sit here on a computer, and DH loves his iPad which fascinates them. However, in the early years, this to us is non-negotiable 364 days a year (on Christmas we allow a short holiday classic).

The second is that the boys spend time outside every day, no matter the weather. This has meant some investment in the proper attire. What's that saying, "There's no bad weather, only bad clothing?" We have rainsuits, snowsuits, wool underwear, and good boots. In the summer, we're outside the entire day. In the winter, I aim for two hours minimum (hard this winter with a newborn).

There is nothing better for children than time spent in the fresh air. This is also a very Charlotte Mason idea. I was also inspired by her writing on outdoor time.

ETA: We have lots of nice, natural, open-ended toys, but when I think about the quote in my signature, I think the "lovely things" is more about the natural world and a cozy homelife. It's NOT about having fancy things. KWIM?

Edited by Zuzu822

I would like to get more waldorf-inspired myself :) I have three children: almost 9, 6 and almost 2. If you had about $100 to spend on each kid to get waldorfy, what would you buy? I don't mean just toys, but also books and art supplies and things like that.

Thanks!

Things that are good:

Elsa Beskow's books

Reg Down's Tiptoes Lightly books

block crayons (a small set for the kids and a large set for myself)

a knitting tower

some good soft wool (you can go on Ravelry and find patterns for the animals)

a set of wooden creatures

A Little Garden Flower's beginning Waldorf book (the one for PreK/K)

Time to watch some of the you-tube videos and listen to free podcasts

A kit to make Waldorf dolls

Hope this gives you some inspiration.:001_smile:

Two Waldorf threads this morning--cool! :) We are heavily Waldorf inspired. If I had $100 to get started, I'd invest in the Stockmar block crayons (they are THE BEST!), some high quality art supplies (water colors, paints), wooden musical instruments, silks, wool felt and yarn. Everything else (baking bread etc) needs no investment.

About the main lesson book-- I'm not using a specific curriculum (though I have in the past-- I love Live Education and Christopherus) but we have lots of fun with MLBs. There are so many things you can do with them. We do copywork, narrations, poems, illustrations... take a look at my blog if you want to see some examples-- particularly the Botany Block MLB. HTH!

Edited by Firefly

K....the lists have me overwhelmed! Lol

I think you need to look at what part of Waldorf you are draw to. Is it the art? The delayed academics? The nature aspect? The rhythm?

That kind of narrows down where to start. :)

What I like about it:

~art

~handwork (felting, knitting..)

~rhythm, routine

~seasons, nature

~imaginative, open ended play

~nature tables

~limited tv, other media

~baking, cooking

~fairy tales, gnome make-believe

I guess what I'm after is a more simple, back to basic kind of lifestyle. I don't think I'm interested in Waldorf academics after Kindergarten, although I do like the main lesson book idea and hope to integrate it somehow.

If you had about $100 to spend on each kid to get waldorfy, what would you buy?

Hijack. Me, too.

I'm not interested in the philosophy just the products! I certainly don't delay academics and we like our technology. LOL

What I like about it:

~art

~rhythm, routine

~seasons, nature

~nature tables

~limited tv, other media

~baking, cooking

We already do nature tables- just kind of part of who we are. My extra student would love all this stuff and I think that it would help my little guy to look at the world in a different way.

Two Waldorf threads this morning--cool! :) We are heavily Waldorf inspired. If I had $100 to get started, I'd invest in the Stockmar block crayons (they are THE BEST!), some high quality art supplies (water colors, paints), wooden musical instruments, silks, wool felt and yarn. Everything else (baking bread etc) needs no investment.

About the main lesson book-- I'm not using a specific curriculum (though I have in the past-- I love Live Education and Christopherus) but we have lots of fun with MLBs. There are so many things you can do with them. We do copywork, narrations, poems, illustrations... take a look at my blog if you want to see some examples-- particularly the Botany Block MLB.

Those suggestions sound like a good place for me to start. I have been really slack in our art at home this year and would like to get on the ball with it next semester. Also, we have been doing lapbooks, but a MLB would be easier to store!

Mandy

About the main lesson book-- I'm not using a specific curriculum (though I have in the past-- I love Live Education and Christopherus) but we have lots of fun with MLBs. There are so many things you can do with them. We do copywork, narrations, poems, illustrations... take a look at my blog if you want to see some examples-- particularly the Botany Block MLB. HTH!

I really like your blog! So, the main lessons books: You use a chalkboard for the lessons and then have your children copy them? Or do you do them alongside you dc? Also, I really like the idea that you could basically use them for any subject! Do they make lined ones too?

Yes, we experimented with both lined composition books and blank books this year. I like the look of the blank books better... there's more freedom to do what you want with the page, and it looks more journal-ly. BUT, writing straight is a struggle for my DS! Someone suggested using bolded lined paper underneath the blank to help guide him, but I haven't tried that yet.

Sometimes I do chalkboard drawings, and sometimes we sit down and do them together... it really depends! (I'm sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful! But I am winging so much of this LOL) For instance, some days a thought will just inspire me (today it was 6 spoke verb tense "Suns"), but it was too late to draw an elaborate picture on the board, so I sketched the basic idea on one of our smaller boards and let them embellish it as they wished.

I agree w/Mandy about the philosophy-- not really my cuppa tea, but I love so many aspects of it. Especially the idea of what they're learning/creating being works of art. They are in a sense creating their own beautiful text books. The hands on aspect is also a huge appeal... I can not tell you how much more they're retaining! I've been amazed that even my DS, who is left brained/worksheet & test junkie is loving what we're doing. I thought he'd resist, but he's surprised me.

I also wanted to second ALGF... Mandy's right, her products are so reasonably priced! That's probably my biggest beef with Waldorf, is that there seem to be very few free/low cost resources. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me! ;)) Investing in quality art supplies is a must though. And the Block Crayon Drawing book was also a must for me... I had no idea what you could create with them!

Good luck, and remember, you don't have to do the whole kit n' kaboodle. Take and use what works for you and leave the rest. I think trying to adhere too strictly to any one method will leave a person :willy_nilly:

:D

Edited by Firefly

I have only seen parts of her DVD's. They are on my next purchase list for January.

My youngest son has really struggled with reading and writing. He is doing much better with using a MLB. I sometimes use two colors to make lines for him. You use a blue block crayon and a green one. You draw the "sky" and the "grass", so that there are wide lines that touch across the page. I don't have a pic on my website, but I bet you could find one online somewhere.

We were picking out a new Main Lesson Book for Science and found a penmanship book I ordered last year. My youngest really wants to try practicing in it this next week. I got those from Waldorfsupplies and I think they are just darling.

There are many things you can add in with little to no cost. We collected beach and river stones to use as our math tangibles. (you can also use glass gems from the craft store- we have these too)

Some of our next projects- creating a sandbox area using tree trunk sections and rocks as the seating and to contain the sand.

We are going to make our own wooden building blocks by cutting boards in various shapes, sanding them, and then staining.

Helping the children create an outdoor fort or playhouse with found wood or a limb framework with fabric walls and ceiling. (fabric taken inside depending on where you live).

Ours boys have been learning to use bows, helping chop and gather wood for the winter, keeping bird feeders and watching what birds visit, learning to watch the weather- wind direction, types of clouds, temperature, learning to use a compass.

Our also have been helping cook- they absolutely love this.

Learning to play an instrument, right now we are working on the guitar. We will add in the recorder soon.

What I like about it:

~art

~rhythm, routine

~seasons, nature

~nature tables

~limited tv, other media

~baking, cooking

I guess what I'm after is a more simple, back to basic kind of lifestyle. I don't think I'm interested in Waldorf academics after Kindergarten, although I do like the main lesson book idea and hope to integrate it somehow.

Quality art supplies would be a great starting place then. :) Maybe a couple of playsilks. I have had luck finding them at thrift shops. (think womens silk scarves).

Also start creating a schedule that adds in free play, baking with kids, regular art times, and nature walks.

Fairy stories are free everywhere on line.

Nature table....google some pictures and start one today. You can use anything! :)