Menu

We need a place to live for Christmas--any creative ideas on finding something?

Long story short, our previous home for 8 years (a rental house), was pulled out from under us by a landlady with mental issues. We had to leave in 30 days and a church has been putting us up in a house they use for missionaries. Well, missionaries are coming back in January and we still haven't found a place.

This place is furnished so almost everything we own is in a storage unit and this one-car garage. I can't believe it's so hard to find a house to rent that isn't tiny AND/OR overpriced! I'm so sad that we have to move right at Christmas and I'm beginning to think that we're going to end up in an apartment with 8 people. :( Of course, we can do anything for a year, I guess, but our homeschooling has been terribly interrupted the past few years and I can't do another crappy year like that to our kids. (If our kids had been IN school this year, they'd have been moved to THREE different districts because of our housing situation, so school is not necessarily the answer here.)

We look on Craigslist and in the paper, on websites and ask everyone we know about houses. I can't believe that in this economy and with the way people are leaving their homes that NO ONE wants to rent them out?? I go on Realtor.com and put in a 4BR of ANY price in the largest suburb of Cleveland and I get TWO choices. Wow.

Is it worth it to contact real estate agents to see if any sellers are willing to rent? I'm at a loss here and I don't want to live with either of my parents. We have crappy credit, BUT we have a sec. deposit, and first and last month's rent available. We just can't afford over $1200/month.

Does anyone have any advice?

Contact one or more of the larger realtors in your area. If that realtor does not handle rentals, ask for a referral to one that does. Many real estate offices assist people in locating rentals. Real estate offices also sometimes act as property managers for homeowners who have relocated or who otherwise do not want to handle things on their own.

I say it's worth it to contact a real estate agent. We were having a hard time finding a place to rent when we moved- we were looking at all sorts of websites, but when we found a home to look at we had to go to a realtor to get the keys- found out that place wasn't available until 2 months later but they had some other homes for rent and that's how we found the place we live now. I plan to ask agents again when we move.

Yes, you can check with real estate companies to see if they know of anything. Look in your yellow pages to see if there are any property managment companies in your area. Rentals are harder to come by these days because there are so many more people in that market. As a temporary solution, have you looked to see if there are any vacation rentals?

Actually, I would absolutely do it except that we have one vehicle and we depend on a part-time job that I have now, too. We are checking into about 10 suburbs, east and west, but I think Cuyahoga Falls is too far. I need to take on another evening at my job and I have to wait for dh to come home so that I can use the van.

That's an idea about the vacation rentals! Thanks, I will look into that.

A LOT of the property management people seem to be doing rent/lease to own *only* and we're not prepared to make that decision in 30 days. Our finances are quite shaky, but I think we're on the verge of more stability--just not fast enough! LOL

Is it worth it to contact real estate agents to see if any sellers are willing to rent?

We know a family that was able to do this successfully. They knew they wanted to rent, so they found a house they liked and contacted the realtor to see if the seller would be interested in renting. The seller was--their house had been empty for a few months.

I hope you find something soon.

Cinder

4 bed, 2 bath, quiet street, 3 car garage, no pets, $1100/month. 440-930-4922. This was in today's weekly paper called the "Press". We love Avon Lake. Wish we weren't moving to IN but that is where my husband got a job.

There is also a 3 bed 2 bath for rent too. $950 Same phone number.

You might try some of the suburban weekly papers or drive around looking for "for rent" signs.

Also try houses that have been on the market awhile and call realtor to see if the owner is willing to rent.

Feel free to PM if you want info about Avon Lake. It may be a day or so before I check. I'm knee deep in packing for our move Dec 15. :001_smile:

I don't live in your area, but I can tell you that in our tiny subdivision, we now have 10 homes for sale. They all started out with just "For Sale" signs and now 6 out of 10 also have "For Rent" signs on them, too. NOTHING in our neighborhood has sold in over 16 months so I know that sellers are looking for renters.

I just looked up one of our listings in the neighborhood and on the website it says nothing about it being for rent, but I know for a fact that it is. I am sure a trip to a real estate office would uncover some gems for you.

We have friends who just rented their house out for 3 months via VRBO.com (Vacation Rental By Owner) while they travel around to visit family for the holidays and things. That would be an easy place to check.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/ohio I would also suggest asking anyone with a weekly rate if they would offer a different rate for a monthly rental.

If you use zillow or trulia to check out the properties for sale in the area you may find some that would be willing to rent. Look for ones that have been on the market for an extended time or on and off the market as well as ones that have recently lowered their price.