9th

3rd

5th

7th

1st

2nd

6th

8th - I didn't see the movie.

Oooh.. can I add that the most annoying companion was Susan in the 1st series? Her screaming made the shows hard to watch. I wanted to reach out and slap her.

Edited by Night Elf

10 - No contest.

11 - He's growing on me, and recently surpassed 9.

9 - I was so sad after I started watching DW (with no knowledge of the show whatsoever going into it - I seriously had no idea that regeneration was part of the plot line...one of the best entertainment surprises I've ever experienced!) and realized that there was a different actor playing season 2 (DT). I was kind of dreading it. But then I saw The Christmas Invasion. I was won over to DT in less than 5 minutes! He had me from the "jim jams" big threatening button speech and subsequent sword fight!

Don't know the rest well enough...

David Tennant :001_wub:

I've seen a few of the older episodes, but Christopher Eccleston was my first doctor. It took a while for David Tennant to grow on me, but he's now my favorite (and my kids' favorite, too). I just can't seem to like Matt Smitth - he seems to young to be The Doctor.

David Tennant :001_wub:

I've seen a few of the older episodes, but Christopher Eccleston was my first doctor. It took a while for David Tennant to grow on me, but he's now my favorite (and my kids' favorite, too). I just can't seem to like Matt Smitth - he seems to young to be The Doctor.

I'd seen a handful of Dr. Who's along the way with DH being such a fan, but was never ever hooked til Tennant. Then, for my bday last year, Dh got me a shirt that said, "You'll never forget your first Doctor" :)

Eccleston. He can act circles around Tennant. People just like Tennant better because there was some fierce writing for his seasons.

(Besides, Eccleston uncannily resembles dh in the generosity of certain facial features. :D )

We've just gotten the disk for the first Smith episodes. Not so impressed by the writing, but I love the fiestaware daleks.

I'd seen a handful of Dr. Who's along the way with DH being such a fan, but was never ever hooked til Tennant. Then, for my bday last year, Dh got me a shirt that said, "You'll never forget your first Doctor" :)

I so want that t-shirt too!

David Tennant is definitely the best Dr. Who, although Christopher Eccleston is a close second, and may have been my first choice if he had stuck around more than one season.

David Tennent with Donna. Rose was my favorite companion at first. And I really didn't like Donna in the bride episode. But she grew on me. :) that was definately the best season. Not really liking the new changes and Matt Smith. I'm glad they went a different way with it, but it seemed like a Rose-plot-line repete atmthe start.

David Tennent with Donna. Rose was my favorite companion at first. And I really didn't like Donna in the bride episode. But she grew on me. :) that was definately the best season. Not really liking the new changes and Matt Smith. I'm glad they went a different way with it, but it seemed like a Rose-plot-line repete atmthe start.

I really didn't like Donna at first, but she grew and grew on me until she became my favorite companion. (Dh says I'm a lot like her, so that's probably why it's love or hate with her for me LOL).

Eccleston. He can act circles around Tennant. People just like Tennant better because there was some fierce writing for his seasons.

Really? I mean, no offense to Eccleston - he's an excellent actor and was a very good Doctor. But have you seen any of Tennant's Shakespearian stuff? I can see thinking Eccleston is the better actor (though I don't agree) but Tennant is no lightweight.

It's so hard to decide. They each bring something new to the Doctor. My FIL thinks Tom Baker is the best. When I watch those episodes I find it hard to relate to the Doctor I have come to know. TB's Doctor was aloof, but he was very good, just not the same as the modern 3.

I adore David Tennant, but Eccelston was very good, the writing was not as strong, but he was good. I am liking the new guy, Matt Smith. In many ways, he is more like the Doctor I invision, I don't know why. But Tennant will always be my Doctor the way Tom Baker is my FIL's Doctor.

As for the companions I think Martha was the best. I think she had a great, well rounded character. It was hard to follow up Rose, but I think she was even better.

I do like Captian Jack, but I didn't care for his series.

Now I'm getting excited for the Christmas special. We usually have my parents DVR it and we watch it when we get there. If it's available sooner (then New Year's, which is when it was last year) we may have to watch it. I was going to wait till Jan to get a Roku (??) to stream Netflix and Amazon with, but maybe I'll get it sooner. I wish Amazon worked with the Wii like Netflix does.

Eccleston, by the slimmest of slimmy-slim margins.

But, honestly, I could watch Tennant in "The Christmas Invasion" any day of the week and be happy . . . like a PP said, that "big red threatening button" speech! Love it. "Am . . . I . . . ginger?"

So: Eccleston, then Tennant, though those are so close it's almost a tie. Then Smith in (sorry) a distant, distant third. But I'm still in the middle of watching Season 5, so I know that could change.

And I agree with the Donna love. I loved the Rose-Doctor storyline, but Donna was his friend. And it was perfect. Donna-Doctor-Friend! She was who he needed and he was who she needed. I wish they could have traveled the universe forever. But it's not a happy story, is it?

Now I'm getting excited for the Christmas special.

Me too! Me too! It's our Boxing Day tradition to watch the Doctor with the kids.

We found Doctor Who back in October, have since watched four seasons with doctors 9 and 10, and are just starting season 5. We love the 10th doctor the best. We've tried watching some of the older seasons but they are just so old and cheesy.

Many of them are cheesy, but to anyone wanting to try some classic Doctor, try the Tom Baker episode City of Death. Many people think of it as the show's best episode. And if you don't enjoy it, then you know you'll probably never going to enjoy much classic Who and just move on.

I am glad to see all the love for 9!!! He is still my favorite, but I have only seen the past 5 seasons.

I already like 11 more than 10. Not that I think David Tennant was a bad Doctor at all (and I agree that he was at his best with Donna!!)! I just feel like Eccleston and Smith had/have the *alien-ish-ness* down in a way that Tennant did not. He was too....human for me.

I would love to see the ones with Peter Davison as I loved him soooo much in All Creatures Great and Small. Netflix has a few but I am not sure that I would understand anything if I just picked one at random!

ETA: Captain Jack ftw!!! I am very fond of Amy and Rory but Donna is my favorite.

Oh, companions...I can't stand Rose! She always annoyed the crap out of me. I liked Martha. Donna was hands down my favorite companion for #10. I love her!

I love Amy and Rory, don't even get me started. I BAWLED when he died. I mean like sobbing and everything and my dh was worried about me, haha!

Oh, companions...I can't stand Rose! She always annoyed the crap out of me. I liked Martha. Donna was hands down my favorite companion for #10. I love her!

I love Amy and Rory, don't even get me started. I BAWLED when he died. I mean like sobbing and everything and my dh was worried about me, haha!

The robot Rory was even sadder!

I've never seen the old who, but DT was my fav. Now I'm starting to really fall for 11 though.

:iagree::D

My favorite companion is Donna. That was the best season for me. Amy's ok but I actually like Rory better. As for Cap'n Jack.....:001_wub: He can smile at me anytime. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Paula in PA

See - I don't get their relationship. I think I look at it oddly. I see her wanting the Doctor and settling for Rory - and never found it fair to him. I just don't like that story line at all.

I apparently am not the Whovian I aspire to be... I cannot name them by number. :tongue_smilie: I started with Tom Baker, who will always be the Doctor to me, but I have seen the first season of the new series, and it is indeed awesome and I did like the new guy waaaay better than anyone since Baker (is that Eccletson, then?).

I have not yet seen any Tennant or farther episodes because I don't have cable!! The first season was broadcast on PBS, and I keep waiting for more, but so far, no luck. I think I have to break down and get Netflix...

Since I have to leave out most of the much-adored newbies, after Tom Baker I did like the guy right before him (#3?), but for whoever wanted to see the Peter Davison episodes - don't!! :ack2: Milquetoast. No personality - not what you want in a Doctor.

My favorite companion is still Leela. Liked the Romanas as well. I have the Key to Time on DVD and my kids have been watching it. :tongue_smilie: Gosh, they are cheesy... :D

Really? I mean, no offense to Eccleston - he's an excellent actor and was a very good Doctor. But have you seen any of Tennant's Shakespearian stuff? I can see thinking Eccleston is the better actor (though I don't agree) but Tennant is no lightweight.
Maybe that's the problem. He always seemed too self-aware as The Doctor, in the same way that Shakespearean actors often strike me as very self-aware. If that makes any sense.