Menu

Need more reading suggestions for higher 2nd grade level reader

sditz1

I know that others have suggested this for my dd http://www.sonlight.com/2N5G.html which I have gone through and picked what books I know she would enjoy reading. I am still in search of some more books for her school reading. Anyone want to share what their kids have enjoyed?

Thanks

Susan

My dd is in first grade but she usually has 2-3 books going at a time :) What about Burgess animal books (Reddy Fox, Jerry Muskrat, etc...)?

Another series my ds really likes is the Christian Liberty Nature Readers. They are graded but not by today's standards (tougher words, smaller font, and not much white space) and include great information about animals. Even though my ds is reading at a 4-5th grade level, he's really enjoying CLNR 1. It is on the easy side for him but he loves the content.

I feel like 2nd grade level is prime time for series books. Some are junky but enjoyable for kids like the A-Z Mysteries or the Pet Fairies books or even Captain Underpants. Others are pretty good. I would say Nate the Great, Ivy and Bean, Tashi, and a few other series are really good reading. Cobble Street Cousins, Gooney Bird Green and Judy Moody are some more I think are actually pretty good. Magic Treehouse is also decent for this age group. The writing is repetitive but that's necessary for teaching kids about plot and they teach a lot. They're high interest, obviously.

For individual titles, I like Roxie and the Hooligans by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Also, some of the Dick King-Smith books are good for this reading level, though others are a bit too much.

Thanks Ivy and bean and cobble street cousins are on her list to get. We already have horrible harry, Arthur ( she read all of them already), Amber brown, Cam Jansen and some others. These are books that we use for our night time and free time reading. But have done them for school reading at times.

I just read the well trained mind and started to question my choices for her school reading.

Thanks

Susan

In 2nd my dd liked the American Girl books, the A-Z mysteries, and the Magic Treehouse for her pleasure reading.

For school, I assigned books from SOTW reading list to go with what we were learning. And the Magic Treehouse were great, because she learned SO much from them, and would remember it when we got to that in history.

I go to Scholastic books to get ideas. It ranks books by reading level. It will also find you similar books to one that you like. I try to keep 2 types of books going for dd, which is exhausting. First, is her fun reading. Geronimo Stilton and Pony Crazed Princess are 2 series favorites. She also loved Allie? McDoodle, but there only 2 in that series. In this category, it's a matter of "salting the oats" to get her interested enough to read on her own.

The second category is school reading, where she reads a chapter out loud to me. Here, I pick books that she wouldn't read on her own. She just finished the Courage of Sarah Noble. Next is The Littles Have a Wedding.

Thanks Ivy and bean and cobble street cousins are on her list to get. We already have horrible harry, Arthur ( she read all of them already), Amber brown, Cam Jansen and some others. These are books that we use for our night time and free time reading. But have done them for school reading at times.

I just read the well trained mind and started to question my choices for her school reading.

Thanks

Susan

There's an ongoing debate on this board about "twaddle" and what exactly it is and whether it ruins kids for reading the "good stuff." However, aside from that question, I think you have to judge children's books at least to some extent from the perspective of children and their needs. Readers at that age need some repetition in plot in order to learn about all of its devices and so forth. They need simpler language. Many of the books that seem simplistic and trite to us as adults can actually be "good literature" for young readers. Obviously, that's not every book. While I personally defend the idea that kids should be able to read those dreadful Pet Fairies books, I wouldn't call them good literature, even for a 7 year old. However, there's a range of what's out there. Luckily, kids grow into more complex books pretty quickly if they're decent readers. And you can read more complex literature with richer vocabulary and more complex themes aloud to them and they will still get a lot out of it.