Menu

Apologia Notebooking Journal - Can Siblings Share?

arcara

Hi,

I think we're going to start Apologia Zoology 1 after the New Year. I was wondering if those of you who have used the Notebooking Journals made your children share one journal (obviously cheaper) or if you got each of them their own journal. This would be for my 10- and 8-yo girls.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew when the Jr. Journals will be ready? I've only seen the Anatomy Jr. Journals. I have an almost 6yo son who would probably really like to have his own journal to work along with us.

TIA!

Bumping this for you since you didn't get an answer. I will share my own personal opinion though. I purchased Zoology 1 a while back and will be using it after we finish RS4K Biology. We are also using BFSU so I cannot run the two at the same time. Anyway, I had started my own notebook for my son but quickly realized that with all the other notebook pages that I make for him (history, BFSU science, Greek worksheets and the list goes on) I would not have the time to be making the kind of worksheets I would like for Apologia also. I decided to buy the notebook.

I originally was not enthused with the price, for a notebook that will be used for only once child but I quickly changed my mind after I had it in my hands. About one 1/4 of the notebook in the back, has activities to cut and paste. The images in these have color some being full color. The rest of the book, if you subtract those pages, is 178 pages and the notebook pages are nicely made (although b&w) and have crossword puzzles and many other activities that I personally, if I had two kids using the program at the same time, would prefer they each had their own copy.

You could probably have them work on it together but I personally feel they would get more out of it with their own copy. Just my thoughts and hoping others chime in with their own opinions :).

Bumping this for you since you didn't get an answer. I will share my own personal opinion though. I purchased Zoology 1 a while back and will be using it after we finish RS4K Biology. We are also using BFSU so I cannot run the two at the same time. Anyway, I had started my own notebook for my son but quickly realized that with all the other notebook pages that I make for him (history, BFSU science, Greek worksheets and the list goes on) I would not have the time to be making the kind of worksheets I would like for Apologia also. I decided to buy the notebook.

I originally was not enthused with the price, for a notebook that will be used for only once child but I quickly changed my mind after I had it in my hands. About one 1/4 of the notebook in the back, has activities to cut and paste. The images in these have color some being full color. The rest of the book, if you subtract those pages, is 178 pages and the notebook pages are nicely made (although b&w) and have crossword puzzles and many other activities that I personally, if I had two kids using the program at the same time, would prefer they each had their own copy.

You could probably have them work on it together but I personally feel they would get more out of it with their own copy. Just my thoughts and hoping others chime in with their own opinions :).

This is so helpful. We are going to pick up apologia next year to combine our boys for science, so these notebooks have been on my list to explore.

There are free notebooks you can download as well. But I printed 3 of them for my kids and can't figure out what to do with them? So, I say buy them. :001_huh: If anyone used those free ones and can say how, can you let us all know? There are just all of these pages and no instructions about how to even match them up with the book. :confused:

My dd is doing Botany, and I agree. I can't imagine having kids share a notebook! I really think you'll need one per child. Definitely a consumable resource! And they are beautifully done!

Have you seen the sample pages? I know I saw them, maybe on the Apologia site? I always look for samples on several sites, like Rainbow, Amazon, CBD, plus the publisher website, so that I can get a good feel for a program. I know one of those had really good samples up for this (convinced me to buy, LOL!).

HTH some, Merry :-)

We are doing Zoology I and you can not share the notebooks. I bought one for my dd10 and printed the free ones for my dd9 and ds8. I do not regret not purchasing one for my ds8 (was 7 at beginning of year). However, I do wish that I would have purchased one for my dd9.

Next year, I will purchase one for each child b/c they are great keepsakes and records of their work.

This is so helpful. We are going to pick up apologia next year to combine our boys for science, so these notebooks have been on my list to explore.

Glad the info was helpful. Too bad I was rushing off to my little one that was just refusing to sleep last night and made some typos and errors :lol:. Good to see you again Sherry :).

There are free notebooks you can download as well. But I printed 3 of them for my kids and can't figure out what to do with them? So, I say buy them. :001_huh: If anyone used those free ones and can say how, can you let us all know? There are just all of these pages and no instructions about how to even match them up with the book. :confused:

I had printed them also, when I was going to use Apologia over the summer but quickly realized that we were just not going to get to it, plus I prefer that my son will be almost a year older when we start, since he will get more out of it. Anyway, after previewing the notebook pages, like Merry said, I decided I liked all the activities involved with the journals.

I had already started making my own activities and finding images online, which I then had to print, and they can suck up quite a bit of ink anyway ;). Buying the journal was the best solution for me since it will save me time coming up with my own also.

As for how to use the free notebook pages, they are designed to be used for children to journal what they are learning, make their own illustrations, write observations, paste images from magazines or internet ones you find for them... The book, near the back of each lesson has suggestions, although basic. They were designed, my opinion, to be used any way you and your kiddos feel you/ they want to record what they are learning. They are quite nicely made actually! For freebies I would have expected them to be more generic. Anyway, they of course don't include activities and color images. That, you naturally have to pay for ;)!

Have you seen the sample pages? I know I saw them, maybe on the Apologia site? I always look for samples on several sites, like Rainbow, Amazon, CBD, plus the publisher website, so that I can get a good feel for a program. I know one of those had really good samples up for this (convinced me to buy, LOL!).

HTH some, Merry :-)

I do the same as Merry when I am considering a resource/ program. I compare all the suppliers' preview pages that she just mentioned :), looking to find as many samples as I can. The best in this case are from the Apologia website. Here's a link to the Zoology 1 samples page.

https://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=137