Menu

Textbook lament

Gwen in VA

The community college bookstore sells the calculus text new for $267. It sells it used for $200. Amazon sells it new for $164 and used for as little as $80.

But the catch is that there is a cute little insert in the college bookstore one inserted by the college. I think we'll go the Amazon route, but I'm nervous about not buying the "approved" version with the insert!

Why don't colleges stop having bookstores and just have links to the textbooks so the student can buy the book online?

What about checking the buy-back price on a site like http://bookscouter.com/ ? If the book doesn't work out, you might be able to sell the book back at a reasonable spread below what you paid. You could estimate whether or not it is a reasonable risk to buy the Amazon text.

Why don't colleges stop having bookstores and just have links to the textbooks so the student can buy the book online?

My guess (wish) is that some day many of the campus stores will just sell t-shirts, sweatshirts, notebooks, etc. as consumers wake up and protest these practices.

Textbooks bought at the university store are just one of the sources of education inflation. The current thread about not being able to get into required classes without a great deal of hassle, if at all, is another even more expensive source of rising costs. I am wondering how we get sound information about both of these issues. This board is certainly a good start.

Prices are RIDICULOUS as we all know. Could you just call the bookstore and ask what the insert is? This 'special packaging' by the publisher to assure sales of new books was recently ruled illegal, I think. (Check Inside Higher Ed)

As to the demise of bookstores, well, they make money for the colleges so that kickback to the schools will be hard to sever and if it does, then the school will likely add back in the loss somewhere, like tuition.

Mary

The community college bookstore sells the calculus text new for $267. It sells it used for $200. Amazon sells it new for $164 and used for as little as $80.

But the catch is that there is a cute little insert in the college bookstore one inserted by the college. I think we'll go the Amazon route, but I'm nervous about not buying the "approved" version with the insert!

I feel your pain.... My husband and I are both going back to college this spring and even though we have FA money towards books, the books are just too outrageous at the bookstore.... I'm gonna try to find them on amazon used.... can you see what this insert is at the bookstore? maybe you can email the profession to see if it is really a necessity or ask the bookstore if they can sell a copy separately....

Just curious.... what CC in VA is this for? What class? My hubby and I will be at germanna....

Kate

I've bought the international versions & they've worked fine. From what I understand, the only difference is that they're paperback, not hard back.

My son has bought a couple of international versions of textbooks on the web. The psychology book was fine. However, the engineering text he purchased was useless because the units in all the examples and in all the problem sets were metric. There were no English units at all in that book. He ended up having to bite the bullet and purchase the actual textbook so he would be able to do the homework problems.

Brenda

The textbook prices in the US are outrageous. I shocked when my ds first bought books in Japan for his classes as I had expected similar pricing. BUT He pays about $50 USD for each semester's books.

When I see these threads, I always feel :confused: as to why the books are so much more expensive here than there.