Menu

Best place to see snow?

We live in the same area and three years ago tried the Smoky Mountains for Christmas and it was one of the hottest winters and no snow.:glare: This year we're waiting until the end of January and traveling to see family in Indiana. Hope it works out for you!

We used to live in western North Carolina, in the mountains, near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. If you go to higher elevations, there is often snow, but no guarantees. And the roads are often closed in the winter at higher elevations.

I would suggest Cataloochee Ski area in western North Carolina. It's near Maggie Valley NC. That is closer but not as cold as the ski areas up near Boone NC. The ski areas are a good bet because if there is no snow, they will make snow. They will lose too much business if there isn't snow around Christmas time, so if it's cold enough, they will be making snow. There are ski reports on the internet. Check for the ski reports from the North Carolina ski areas.

If you go a little farther, in West Virginia, at Snowshoe Ski Area there will be snow also.

I'm in Rochester New York, and it's snowing here right now. We get lots of snow here- lake effect snow from Lake Ontario.

Merry Christmas!

Christmas can be iffy in the snow dept. I see you :auto: North until you find some. :D Now we do have guarantees along the Canadian Border.

I was hoping not to have to go that far!!! I know what you mean about it being iffy. What about the Virginia area? We might could get in a history lesson or two!!

Nc and Tn are definitely not guarantees for snow. In fact, it is iffy at best, even at higher elevations. For "for sure" you would probably need to head to West Virginia to one of the ski resorts. Long drive.

:iagree: Definitely somewhere with ski resorts. Here in the Poconos, it can start snowing as early as Halloween, but it's never guaranteed. One of our ski resorts DID manage to open on Monday though. After yesterday's rain, I'm assuming they're closed again. By Christmas, I'm sure most-all of them will be running.

It may not be "natural" snow, but it's definitely real!

Maybe just over the border into North Carolina from Tennessee. Near Asheville. Still southern Appalachians. What about a stay at the Biltmore?

This is where I live and last Christmas we were covered in snow! I am also a North Florida girl (born there, moved up here at 38). I love having all four seasons!

Just wondering...have you driven in snow before? We had our first snow here yesterday. (Michigan) Several of the high school students ended up in the ditch or in accidents, and one of my son's teachers spun out on the highway on his way to school. Even though I've been driving in the snow for a looong time, I wouldn't love driving in it in the mountains. I'm just thinking that slippery twists and turns might not be the best way to experience snow for the first time,;) although the mountains would be beautiful! If you go, I'd rent something with 4-wheel drive if you don't already have it. I use mine a ton here and I can really tell the difference.