Menu

Baking question....help!

I am making a cake - two cake mixes in one 12x18x2 pan. If I were making a single 13x9 size it calls for 350 temp.....does that change when it is larger and two mixes? I have never doubled a recipe before as I am not a big baker.....can someone enlighten me before I screw it up? LOL

I am making a cake - two cake mixes in one 12x18x2 pan. If I were making a single 13x9 size it calls for 350 temp.....does that change when it is larger and two mixes? I have never doubled a recipe before as I am not a big baker.....can someone enlighten me before I screw it up? LOL

For the larger cakes I cook them at 325 for a longer time- you can look on the Wilton website and find a cooking time chart for the size of your pan. HTH

You can certainly bake it at 350* and it should come out fine.

With that said, I tend to lower the temp to 325* and bake a bit longer, because you will generally have a little less of a "dome" and your cake will turn out more level. If it's a cake you're going to turn out of the pan onto a serving platter, here's a little trick:

As soon as your cake comes out of the oven, place an (obviously clean) folded towel on the surface of the cake and gently press any hump until it's level. Your cake will not fall (if you're using cake mixes), but it will be level enough that you won't need to trim it before you turn it upside down onto the platter. The steam will be warm, so watch out for your forearms when you do this.

Happy baking!