Menu

I have a fabulous business idea for someone!

Make historical dress-up stuff for girls with a range of prices from little bonnets and aprons to full dress up stuff. As a matter of fact, I'll be the first customer!! :D

Shouldn't be too hard, right? I can hardly find anything for my 6yo dd.. WHY IS THAT?

OR, maybe I should just learn to sew! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

What a great idea! I think you learning to sew and doing it yourself is the best idea because then I could be your first customer. Are you ready for my order? It's going to be a long one. :001_smile: In general there is just a huge shortage of good quality dress up clothes anyway. I'm disappointed with a lot of the stuff the girls have in their box. Icky material and poorly made.

The downside to sewing is that decent fabric is expensive. You can get that cheap carp from JoAnne's, and have it fade and shrink and cost less, but who wants that? I'd love to make some costumes and sell them, but the price, given the materials and time it takes, would not make them cheap. I wouldn't mind doing such a costume for a friend for free labor, but as a business? Unless you charge a lot, you won't make any $$. :glare:

The downside to sewing is that decent fabric is expensive. You can get that cheap carp from JoAnne's, and have it fade and shrink and cost less, but who wants that? I'd love to make some costumes and sell them, but the price, given the materials and time it takes, would not make them cheap. I wouldn't mind doing such a costume for a friend for free labor, but as a business? Unless you charge a lot, you won't make any $$. :glare:

I kind of figured that would be the case because there are so many talented people who sew and hardly a decent costume for a decent price to be found.

Make historical dress-up stuff for girls with a range of prices from little bonnets and aprons to full dress up stuff. As a matter of fact, I'll be the first customer!! :D

Shouldn't be too hard, right? I can hardly find anything for my 6yo dd.. WHY IS THAT?

OR, maybe I should just learn to sew! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

We've actually been thinking about doing just that. I wondered though, how do you manage that around CPSC (hope I got the letters right). The small business can't afford the testing. Then again, I have seen a few, not many, internet sites, selling kids costumes. How do they manage that?

I also wonder about the cost of materials and labor versus what people want to pay. Even at a high price you will find a market for the product, people that do reenactments and fairs often will pay a lot for their costumes. But I personally would want to see people like us be able to afford the costumes, and that may not be possible when materials and labor costs are taken into consideration.