Menu

I know this has been asked many time before but: Kindle, Nook, or Sony

We want to get the kids an e-reader for Christmas. We are moving to China in Feb. and need something to take with us that will allow us easy access to books for them to read. I'm torn between the Kindle, with access to a larger ebook store, and either the Nook or Sony with access to epub format.

I'm cheap, and want access to as many free (or cheap) books for the kids as I can! Our library does have small collection of ebooks (only about 350) but hopefully they will get more in the future. Have those who use their library for ebooks found that there are many kids books in the collections or are they mostly current adult fiction (which it kind of looked like to me on a brief inspection of our library's collection). Are there plenty of free sites that have books for the kids that are readable on the Kindle? Or are most of them epub or other format not read by the Kindle?

I think I've ruled out the Kobo from Borders because I'd like the additional feature of the audio player that is on the Kindle, Sony, and Nook. Also, since it is intended primarily as a reader, I want to stick with e-ink technology and I'm not interested in the color ones out there or others that have a backlit screen. We also want one with Wi-fi but not 3g since it wouldn't work in China anyway.

Any thoughts on which one would best fit our needs or another one I may have missed?

Thanks!

I can only say you do not want the Nook unless you plan to ONLY get content from non-Barnes & Noble sources. B&N makes it very difficult to get content from outside the US.

I use and love my Kindle; there is enough content available from Amazon for the kids. I've not used the free sites so I can't speak to that. Also, Amazon is always adding content.

A friend has the Sony eReader and likes it and has no trouble using it outside the US. I've looked at hers (she has the 1st generation) and prefer the Kindle, but newer Sony ones might be better than hers.

I would check with your library -- will they continue to make the ebooks available to you once you are out of the US?? So, will that even be a factor once you move?

It's so easy, and I am such a nontechnical person. When techy things are at all complicated, I get frustrated and quick very quickly. But I find the Nook quite easy and have already gotten books from other sources. It takes PDF files too, so I have put knitting patterns on it, for example, and a bible study EBook from an online ministry. Easy peasy.

That said, I have still not bought myself a Nook, because I have a hard time making decisions, and what if the Kindle is better for other reasons? I guess i am commitment adverse:)

It's so easy, and I am such a nontechnical person. When techy things are at all complicated, I get frustrated and quick very quickly. But I find the Nook quite easy and have already gotten books from other sources. It takes PDF files too, so I have put knitting patterns on it, for example, and a bible study EBook from an online ministry. Easy peasy.

That said, I have still not bought myself a Nook, because I have a hard time making decisions, and what if the Kindle is better for other reasons? I guess i am commitment adverse:)

I think you must have misread my post.

What I said is that the Nook is not easy to use outside the United States, unless using sources other than Barnes & Noble.

Nothing at all about it being difficult to load content from other sources. In fact, if using outside the US, it is likely that with a Nook you would only be able to use other sources.

I can only say you do not want the Nook unless you plan to ONLY get content from non-Barnes & Noble sources. B&N makes it very difficult to get content from outside the US.

I use and love my Kindle; there is enough content available from Amazon for the kids. I've not used the free sites so I can't speak to that. Also, Amazon is always adding content.

A friend has the Sony eReader and likes it and has no trouble using it outside the US. I've looked at hers (she has the 1st generation) and prefer the Kindle, but newer Sony ones might be better than hers.

I would check with your library -- will they continue to make the ebooks available to you once you are out of the US?? So, will that even be a factor once you move?

Thanks for the info on using the Nook outside the US..... definitely a drawback for that unit.

I should still be able to access our library but since their ebook collection is pretty small, it really isn't a compelling enough reason on its own to get a reader based on that.

Thanks for the help!