Menu

DYI dryer repair

we have fixed numerous dryers, some work better after "we fix" them, some don't!

It does sound like the heating element? which is the heater upper thing, but sometimes it can be loose connections.

WE have an old fix it yourself reader's digest book and that is what we use.

Some dryers have fuses in them, so check that first. Can have a fuse for the motor and then another one for the heater.

if it is gas, pilot light (with an electronic ignition)

From what I remember if it is the heating element, you can buy it, but it is the main thing in a dryer,and is the top dollar part.

Have you tried FixYa? Our dryer broke a couple years ago and I found a lot of good information there. I did end up having someone come out and fix it, but because of what I learned, I knew exactly what was wrong with it before the repair guy even came.

Our dryer was only 4 years old so we decided not to mess with it ourselves.

Oh! Oh! I did this! I replaced a heating element on a Kenmore! (of course, I can't remember how other than it was surprisingly easy...)

Go to fixitnow.com (no www); that is where I found my part and the instructions on how to put it in.

After I fixed it, I ended up selling it on Craigs list when I bought a new front loader set. The people were really happy because they were in the middle of remodeling their house & didn't want to spring for a new one before they were done!

a

Anyone here repaired a dryer that runs but does not heat up? My 17yo Kenmore dryer still runs through its cycles but with no heat. We have had a few successful DYI appliance repairs and would like to do it again especially since it is right before Christmas. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.

DH replaced a heating element on a dryer several years ago. I remember it was pretty straightforward. It took him a little bit of time to take the back off, research the correct part and then install the replacement, but then we got a lot more use out of that dryer (as in several more years).

It was much easier than replacing the kitchen sink sprayer hose, which was our first home repair, which kept having cascading casualties and ended up with us doing valve replacement on the hot water heater.:willy_nilly:

With appliances, we've had good luck web searching the appliance brand and model # along with the problem (so I'd search something like "Kenmore A1234 no heat"). There are some really good appliance repair sites out there that have step by step repair instructions.

You all are great and I am glad to see that there are a few brave souls out there that are willing to give it a try. Dh watched some YouTube videos by a British guy named James, dismantled the dryer, located the fried-out fuse and wire and is picking up the parts today. Keep your fingers crossed. We did some work on the washer a few years ago. The part was $17 and we sent some beer money to the Samurai Appliance Guy for the help. I love this kind of stuff, when it all works out...:D

Dh and I have fixed many appliances on our own. I google and go get parts, he tears it apart and fixes it. I just google the make and model and what the problem is, and I have yet to not find a diagram, advice, forum, etc. where someone tells how to fix it. :001_smile:

No advice on your specific job, but that's how we do it in general...

I was going to say 'be sure to check the breaker in the electrical panel.' One side might be tripped. Many years ago, my dryer would run but it would not heat up. So I called a repair man, he came out to look at it, checked the breaker box and presto the dryer was working again. It only cost me $50 to have him reset the breaker. ;)

Success! Thank you for the encouragement. It was the fuse. The part cost $47 and the process took my dh 2.5 hours with watching the videos. Sears would have charged us $120 to come out and then parts and labor. The man is positively smug and accomplished it between plays while watching our Civil War game. :party: