Menu

Chana Masala

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/chana-masala/

Does this look like a good recipe? I had an Amy's frozen entree today that had chana masala and I really REALLY like it. I figure if I like the frozen stuff, the 'real' stuff must be even better. I must confess I've never had and Indian food before, not even curries. I'm working on adding new vegetarian recipes to our menu, so any and all links/suggestions are VERY welcome.

I'm adding spices to my Amazon cart right now :)

That looks excellent (as do most of the recipes on that site; I've never encountered a dud from them). I'd probably fire in a little more cumin, but that's just because I really like cumin. You might consider using dried-and-soaked chickpeas if you have time, but the canned kind (especially if you use low sodium) works great, too.

One bit of advice if you're not accustomed to working with tumeric: it stains like nobody's business!

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/chana-masala/

Does this look like a good recipe? I had an Amy's frozen entree today that had chana masala and I really REALLY like it. I figure if I like the frozen stuff, the 'real' stuff must be even better. I must confess I've never had and Indian food before, not even curries. I'm working on adding new vegetarian recipes to our menu, so any and all links/suggestions are VERY welcome.

I'm adding spices to my Amazon cart right now :)

I am an Indian food FANATIC, and just started cooking it at home. That looks like a great recipe! I also HIGHLY recommend SLow Cooking Indian, a new book that I have ADORED. Have fun!

Oh, and I bought a TON of spices from ishopindian.com. They have fresh curry leaves and every type of lentil out there. It's a wonderful store :)

Edited by Halcyon

I have a dear friend who comes over to teach me a new Indian recipe once a month. Here is here Chana Masala (or as close as I could figure because she doesn't measure):

Gheeta’s Chana Masala

Ingredients:

3T oil or butter (we used coconut)

1 dried red chili or more to taste

1T cumin

1T mustard seeds

Curry leaves to taste (available at Indian groceries)

2 chopped onions

3 small hot chilis or to taste, chopped

4 med tomatoes, chopped

1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped

5 cloves garlic, chopped

¼ t turmeric

2 to 3 T coriander powder

1 t chili powder or to taste

2 t Chana Masala powder (available at Indian groceries)

1 t salt and more to taste

3 cans chick peas or equivalent or dried chickpeas which have been prepared

2 C water

2 or more T sour cream

½ red onion, chopped (garnish)

½ cup cilantro, chopped (garnish)

1. Heat oil over medium heat, add red chili, cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves and sautee for a minute.

2. Add chopped onion and fry until translucent.

3. Add diced chili and sautee for a minute.

4. Add tomatoes, fry a minute, and then mash to release juices. Fry until the mixture “bleeds†oil (you will see a layer of oil on top)

5. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for a moment

6. Add turmeric, coriander, chili powder, Chana Masala powder, and 1 t salt (add more to taste)

7. Rinse chickpeas if using canned and add to pot. Gently mash to brak up some of the chickpeas.

8. Add water and mix. Bring to a boil, then add sour cream.

9. Simmer 10 mins.

10. Serve with rice or chapattis (tortillas) and garnishes.