Menu

Dr. Hive . . .? re Mucinex DM

DD 12 is rather congested and coughing. Frankly, she is miserable. A few year ago, we found Mucinex and love it. It really clears things up for dh and myself. However,

dd is petite. I mean really petite, around 70lbs. The directions say for 12 and up, but I think that most 12 and ups weigh a lot more.

Normally, I would cut the pill in half. Mucinex says not to chew, crush, or break the tablet. It is an extended-release bi-layer tablet.

Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't cut it in half? Will it ruin the potency or something? Or, may I cut it in half.

If not, I am going to the store, what do you all recommend?

TIA

DD 12 is rather congested and coughing. Frankly, she is miserable. A few year ago, we found Mucinex and love it. It really clears things up for dh and myself. However,

dd is petite. I mean really petite, around 70lbs. The directions say for 12 and up, but I think that most 12 and ups weigh a lot more.

Normally, I would cut the pill in half. Mucinex says not to chew, crush, or break the tablet. It is an extended-release bi-layer tablet.

Can someone explain to me why I shouldn't cut it in half? Will it ruin the potency or something? Or, may I cut it in half.

If not, I am going to the store, what do you all recommend?

TIA

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I could not bring myself to cut up the Mucinex caplet.

I used the Mucinex 'sprinkles' in the packet -- it meant that dd11 had to take a couple of packets, but we have always had good results with the sprinkles. Oh, and I bought Simply Saline and had her use that according to the directions. She also took Emergen-C according to directions, and drank hot lemonade (lemons have a natural decongestant).

Hope she feels better.

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago. I could not bring myself to cut up the Mucinex caplet.

I used the Mucinex 'sprinkles' in the packet -- it meant that dd11 had to take a couple of packets, but we have always had good results with the sprinkles. Oh, and I bought Simply Saline and had her use that according to the directions. She also took Emergen-C according to directions, and drank hot lemonade (lemons have a natural decongestant).

Hope she feels better.

This is also what I'd do. Just use the children's formula, whatever dosage is apropriate to her weight.

DS (almost 11) is around 90 pounds, and we still use the kids' Mucinex MiniMelts. I only get the expectorant kind, though. I've never used the cough medicine plus expectorant version. I think it probably has dextromethorphan in it, which in a child-sized dosage might be ok, but I would hesitate to use the adult dosage of that stuff for a kid. If it were just the expectorant version of the adult formula, I might try it, but I'd still call and ask the doctor or pharmacist first (or call the number on the package.)

I'm always such a chicken about new medicines.

And I think I may have gotten a little creative with the spelling of dextromethorphan, but you know what I mean, right? I'm too lazy to look it up!

Cat