Menu

how do you justify spending A LOT of money the curriculum for one subject?

I am so wanting to buy Nancy Larson's science for our kids...but by the time I get the worksheets for all of them, add in tax and shipping and handling, the total is $323 for one subject....how can I justify buying that...or should I not try to justify it and find something else. We aren't in the poor house...we could buy it....but that is a lot of money...thoughts anyone???

Kathy

If it's GOOD and it works for our family, I do not mind paying more. It's when you pay a lot and it doesn't work out that it really hurts. If you're sure it's what's best for you kids, I think it's worth the price.

I always justify those kinds of purchases by thinking that I can always resell if I don't like it...or when I'm done with it.

If it's GOOD and it works for our family, I do not mind paying more. It's when you pay a lot and it doesn't work out that it really hurts. If you're sure it's what's best for you kids, I think it's worth the price.

I always justify those kinds of purchases by thinking that I can always resell if I don't like it...or when I'm done with it.

:iagree:

I will also add that, for us, public school in our area isn't really an option, so if I didn't spend the money on curriculum for homeschooling, I'd be spending money for private school tuition - OUCH. Since that would be at least $15,000 a year, well.

thanks...I thought about the reselling value too...I have been looking for a used set someplace...but haven't found one...and I THINK it is just want we need...but I am not sure...becasue I haven't seen the whole thing...thanks again for your imput.

Me personally? I will pay what we can afford for the best possible education for my children. And, probably unfortunately, after 10 years of homeschooling, we've come to rely on materials that just happen to be expensive. However, we feel the materials are top notch and meet the needs of our children very well. The key here is that we buy what we can afford. That may mean making some financial decisions to make the purchase possible, but we of course have our limits. Basically, if we can make it work, we work it. :)

Well, if we can afford it without taking food off the table or clothes off our back, if I feel it will be a good fit with my teaching style and my kids' learning styles, and if I believe it is something that will actually get done vs. sitting on the shelf, then I feel it is a justified purchased.

There have been times when I bought the less expensive alternative figuring I could make it work, but if it never gets taken off the shelf, it's not really a good purchase.

I'm one of those that spends a lot on curriculum and homeschooling supplies though. :tongue_smilie: I figure, it's my kids' education and I only have one crack at each grade level with each of them so I'm going to try to make each year the best I can.

I'm fortunate that my dh sees things this way too. ;)

:iagree:

I will also add that, for us, public school in our area isn't really an option, so if I didn't spend the money on curriculum for homeschooling, I'd be spending money for private school tuition - OUCH. Since that would be at least $15,000 a year, well.

yea...that thought crossed my mind once...but I sort of forgot about it...so thanks for making me think about that again...very helpful...

Wanted to add that having more than one child to use the materials with (not at the same time, but in coming years) also helps me feel better about some of my purchases.

except for in this case, all 3 of my kids will be using it at the same time...but now that I think about it...why is that any different than if they would use it in 3 different years...it's not...so this is $100 per kid purchase...ok...i am breathing a little easier now....

Agreed. I paid about $700 for an AoPS class and haven't regretted it for a moment, but I'm still kicking myself about the $20 I spent on a history book that turned out not to work for us.

What grades is this for? I would not pay that much money for science at the elementary level. High school, yes, without hesitation. But not before grade 8.

Now, languages and math, I would fork out the money, regardless of the grade. And we did. When Singapore bombed with my second child, we decided to toss it, and buy MUS (which is not cheap). But science at the elementary level is really no big deal, and we're a science-math oriented family.

it is for elementary...we have tried cheaper science programs and we just can't seem to make them work for us..so that is why I am thinking about this program. The problems we tend to have is that the cheaper programs aren't as scripted (and I need that for this subject), the cheaper programs expect that you go out and find and buy the materials needed for experiements (which wouldn't be too big of a deal except we live in rural Nebraska and have to travel 45 minutes to the nearest store) plus I am not that organized....and this programs supplies nearly everything. Other programs left me wondering how I can suppliment with other stuff...and this one gives you "the other stuff" right in the kit...or on a CD rom to use. In otherwords...it seems to me that this is a very user friendly program and that is exactly what I need.

But you are saying that I shouldn't bother with elementary age kids? hmmm....I'll have to ponder that one some. thanks.

What grades is this for? I would not pay that much money for science at the elementary level. High school, yes, without hesitation. But not before grade 8.

Now, languages and math, I would fork out the money, regardless of the grade. And we did. When Singapore bombed with my second child, we decided to toss it, and buy MUS (which is not cheap). But science at the elementary level is really no big deal, and we're a science-math oriented family.

:iagree:300 for elementary science? That would be out of my comfort zone and I have a science loving son. There are too many other options for less money. I tend to weigh the cost vs. other options, maybe not the best, but I have to be pretty frugal. Most of our money goes towards languages.

I am so wanting to buy Nancy Larson's science for our kids...but by the time I get the worksheets for all of them, add in tax and shipping and handling, the total is $323 for one subject....how can I justify buying that...or should I not try to justify it and find something else. We aren't in the poor house...we could buy it....but that is a lot of money...thoughts anyone???

Kathy

If you feel you are paying for the best of the best for your children, go for it. That's how I always justify curriculum I purchase after months of research.

But you are saying that I shouldn't bother with elementary age kids? hmmm....I'll have to ponder that one some. thanks.

Have you looked at Sonlight's science program? While not completely scripted, it's pretty easy to teach. And if you buy their kit, you also have everything on hand.

I consider Sonlight's program to be at the limit of what I would pay for an elementary science. I go for the 4 days program, and it's around 180$-190$. Also, I don't buy all of their books, anything that's too creationist, I simply bypass. On the other hand, many people complain that Sonlight is not creationist enough, but not me! It's very usable for non-creationist families.

She makes it look very pretty! She looks like she has put a lot of thought and care into entire package. The price would still be the biggest deterrent for me.

Because it is elementary age *I* would probably go with something like.

The science of Life

Weather projects for young scientists

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tsunamis

and add in a few kits from homesciencetools. The weather and earthquake book have projects in them, I'm not sure about the biology book.

I would also add Nature Study With Barb .

You would need something for chem and physics, but you'd still be less than 300.

ETA: Here's a free chemistry program Inquiry in Action.

Here's some Charlotte Mason elementary science links.

I guess the bottom line is that we all decide whether we have more time or money. I've always had more time to pull together cost effective materials. If money isn't an object the Larson materials may be exactly what you need.

Edited by elegantlion

For me, the choice to spend however much on a curriculum is based on two things: a) is it worth buying? and b) with the money I have, can I get what I need? I have a certain amount of money I can use for curricula, so I pick my essentials first and then see what I have left over; that dictates my choices for enrichment subjects.

She makes it look very pretty! She looks like she has put a lot of thought and care into entire package. The price would still be the biggest deterrent for me.

Because it is elementary age *I* would probably go with something like.

The science of Life

Weather projects for young scientists

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tsunamis

and add in a few kits from homesciencetools. The weather and earthquake book have projects in them, I'm not sure about the biology book.

I would also add Nature Study With Barb .

You would need something for chem and physics, but you'd still be less than 300.

ETA: Here's a free chemistry program Inquiry in Action.

Here's some Charlotte Mason elementary science links.

I guess the bottom line is that we all decide whether we have more time or money. I've always had more time to pull together cost effective materials. If money isn't an object the Larson materials may be exactly what you need.

if I could actually pull this off, I would do that...but I have tried to "pull things" together and have failed miserably...so that is why I am leaning so hard on Nancy's stuff...it appears to be 95% all there...I simply don't have the resources, the time, the creativitiy to put things together.

I'm prepared to pay a lot for an area that's important for me. Personally, right now, we pay a lot for our literature and grammar programmes. I wouldn't spend that much on Science, but if we were a "Science family", or dd was showing particular interest in Science, I wouldn't hesitate.

In general, I can only justify spending high bucks on things that I am sure are...

(a) a good fit for my both of my kids and me

(b) a good value - if it costs a lot, I'd better be receiving A LOT

and:

© re-sellable

My first reaction to the curriculum you mentioned is that it is a very high price for one year of one subject... but I don't know much more about it other than reading their website briefly.

Have you looked at Elemental Science? I too wanted something more "put together" and I have really enjoyed her courses. We're currently using Biology for my 5 yo and Chem for my 8 yo. Science is getting done, retention is wonderful and they're having a good time.

Upon initial inspection, Nancy's stuff looks good! But that said, it almost seems TOO detail-oriented for that age (at least for my kids). My kids are very sciencey, but they prefer a more open-ended approach to science (which at the same time has a reasonable amount of structure). I think the scripted nature of her lessons sure does LOOK nice, but at least for my kids, I think it wouldn't necessarily work that nicely in practice. It looks too structured for that age, and believe me, I like structure :)

Edited by Halcyon

If you have the money and feel it is right for your family, you don't need to justify spending the money.

I find it interesting that others spend that amount on grammar or languages, but are suggesting to you that you don't need to spend that much on science.

If it works for you, go for it!

it is for elementary...we have tried cheaper science programs and we just can't seem to make them work for us..so that is why I am thinking about this program. The problems we tend to have is that the cheaper programs aren't as scripted (and I need that for this subject), the cheaper programs expect that you go out and find and buy the materials needed for experiements (which wouldn't be too big of a deal except we live in rural Nebraska and have to travel 45 minutes to the nearest store) plus I am not that organized....and this programs supplies nearly everything. Other programs left me wondering how I can suppliment with other stuff...and this one gives you "the other stuff" right in the kit...or on a CD rom to use. In otherwords...it seems to me that this is a very user friendly program and that is exactly what I need.

I was reading something by someone who majored in science in college. She said she was a classic textbook learner and still is. Well something done in N.L. science by her kids helped her TRULY understand a concept that she had never fully understood, even having taken all kinds of science in college. (not sure what her exact major was) Yes, she understood the textbook definition of (whatever it was), but she had an honest-to-goodness "aha" moment when teaching this same concept via N.L. Science.

Not saying it's a good reason to spend the money, but it's the type of reason that gets my attention. I've just bought the program and started it this week. So far we have really enjoyed our first two days. I hope the whole program is like this, and you're right, it gives you everything.

Somehow it was easier spending a large amount at an "off" time of year. Good luck with what you decide. I'm hoping this program fosters an enjoyment for science and a curiosity -- in some ways that's as valuable as the actual concepts themselves. I want them to look forward to higher levels of science, and if this program helps achieve that goal, it will have been worth it.

I was reading something by someone who majored in science in college. She said she was a classic textbook learner and still is. Well something done in N.L. science by her kids helped her TRULY understand a concept that she had never fully understood, even having taken all kinds of science in college. (not sure what her exact major was) Yes, she understood the textbook definition of (whatever it was), but she had an honest-to-goodness "aha" moment when teaching this same concept via N.L. Science.

Not saying it's a good reason to spend the money, but it's the type of reason that gets my attention. I've just bought the program and started it this week. So far we have really enjoyed our first two days. I hope the whole program is like this, and you're right, it gives you everything.

Somehow it was easier spending a large amount at an "off" time of year. Good luck with what you decide. I'm hoping this program fosters an enjoyment for science and a curiosity -- in some ways that's as valuable as the actual concepts themselves. I want them to look forward to higher levels of science, and if this program helps achieve that goal, it will have been worth it.

thank you for your words. May I ask what are the ages of your children? Thanks.

:iagree:We do a ton of science. My daughter loves science. But at the elementary level, you CAN do a ton of quality learning for dirt cheap.

edited to add: I'm just saying it's not NECESSARY to spend a lot on a science program to do quality science learning in homeschool. I think that's what the poster I quoted was saying also. However, if you want the convenience of materials and scripted lessons, go for it! There's no right or wrong. As other's have said, what works for your family is best for you.

Edited by katemary63