Menu

So, do ANY kids make it through childhood without braces these days?

Took the boys to the dentist today and the Dentist found SOMETHING in all their mouths that they "might need to see an orthodontist" for. :glare: Seems that in my day, only a few kids got braces...now it seems that ALL kids are getting them! I don't know what to think. Our dental insurance is not good and those bad boys are EXPENSIVE!

Edited by MyBlueLobsters

I did not have braces because I was told that I had beautiful teeth. For the most part they are straight on the top. However, as time has gone on, my teeth have become very crowded on the bottom and are starting to shift on the top a little bit and I realize now that I probably should have had braces as a child to avoid these problems.

My brother, sister, and I did not have braces. One of my cousins did but none of the others. DD had them for an overbite that was causing her jaw to pop. So, she ended up with straight teeth though we wouldn't have payed for braces just for cosmetic reasons.

I think our middle son will need them. Ds 13, has a couple of unstraight teeth but a nice wide, roomy jaw with plenty of room for everything and a decently aligned bite. Ds 10 is narrow jawed so we aren't certain about him.

Faith

DD1 had a palate expander when she was 8-9 and won't need braces. Beautiful teeth. :)

DD2 had a retainer put in by her pediatric dentist when she was 7-8. She has perfect teeth. "The best teeth I've ever seen," the orthodontist said. :)

DS is missing 2 adult teeth and the pediatric dentist won't even try anything. So he'll need braces to close a humongous gap in the front and fix his bite. $$$$$

Zenz, I had braces as a teen and my teeth have shifted over the years. I've read that orthodontists are recommending retainers for life now, if only for just 1 or 2 nights a week.

All three were not for cosmetic reasons. We always knew that our child born with a cleft palate and down syndrome would need mouth work. The oldest son has a large mouth and they said a bite that could mess up his jaw. My middle son has a small mouth and might have a problem with crowding.

I guess I don't know that those things would all require braces...but WOWSA! I'm seeing the dollar signs popping up. :001_huh:

Dd12 has never had a recommendation, but ds14 did. But he has Aspergers and we were scared he would freak out so we didn't follow through. He can always decide to have them if he wants them.

I had braces, but only on the top. My canine teeth (I hate that term) didn't fall out. I was 16! They had to pull my baby teeth and use wire and screws to pull down the adult teeth. Ugh! Paying for those was a hardship for my mom.

And unfortunately dd18 has one baby tooth in her gums. Our dentist told her she should have it removed which sounds like surgery, not braces. We haven't done anything about it yet. It freaks her out.

Braces are obviously not a medical necessity but more of a cosmetic one.

Thankfully my parents could afford braces and luckily I have been also able to provide braces for my children.

I see many adults with braces and know some who have also used Invisalign braces (looks like a retainer).

I notice people's teeth. I think its pretty easy to spot who had braces as a child and those who did not.

her teeth were crooked and her bite was not right. But my second dd does not need them. Her bottom teeth are not perfectly straight, but they are not that bad. Her top are perfect and her bite is fine. I'm afraid my boys are going to have to have a lot of work done. The 2 youngest do not have enough room in their mouths for their teeth. They will need teeth pulled and spacers. I'm unsure about my middle child. He seems like he made need them, but I won't know for sure for another year or so.

We have almost no coverage for braces and it is expensive.

When my ds was 4 the dentist had done an x-ray and you could see all the adult teeth underneath his gums all criss crossed. Sure enough now that they're coming out, he's definitely going to need braces in a few years. My dd will probably get away without them. Hers were messed up when they were coming in but are straightening out. She has no more baby teeth left so we'll see what happens in a couple of years.

Dd won't have braces. She has an ever so slight overbite that would require the breaking of her jaw to fix, or so I've been told by those concerned about it.

We decided that it would not be worth the cost, pain or possible arthritis that runs rampantly through our family.

Other than that she has perfectly straight teeth. She won't be getting braces.

Braces are obviously not always a medical necessity, but often more of a cosmetic one.

Possibly enduring pain your whole life because of how badly your teeth are aligned makes it a medical necessity, imo;)

But yes, in our country, perfectly straight teeth are expected. Anything slightly off, though perfectly healthy, is noticed.

Thankfully my parents could afford braces and luckily I have been also able to provide braces for my children.

I see many adults with braces and know some who have also used Invisalign braces (looks like a retainer).

I notice people's teeth. I think its pretty easy to spot who had braces as a child and those who did not.

:lol:My dentist and several hygienist have commented on how well my braces as a child have held up. They ask if I am still using a retainer to keep them so straight. I never had braces!

None of my kids "need" braces. None of their teeth are perfect. One dd had full braces because she will need an implant one day. Two of her teeth (one of which was knocked out) are congenitally small. She needed the braces to make enough space to put in the implant later. Dd18 has teeth that are about as perfectly aligned as possible. One is slightly crooked. No problem with her wisdom teeth either. (only two of those!) Dd16b is in invisible braces right now. Hers are strictly for cosmetic reasons. Her two front teeth had a slight overlap. I highly recommend this type of braces!!! Ds13 may want to have some for cosmetic reasons. We'll see. As his head grows, his teeth are becoming more and more straight. Nothing major in appearance for him. Just a bit of crowding here and there.

My dd had braces and palate expander at age 8. Dentist thinks she could benefit from stage 2 braces now at age 13, but isn't pushing it.

Dentist believes my oldest could use minor noncosmetic correction, however, oldest has terrible dental hygiene and the dentist assesses that putting braces on him would be more hassle than it's worth. These oral hygiene issues stem from sensory issues that he's always had, some other problems and just plain slow growing up. However, he's never had a cavity. Genetically, he's blessed with strong teeth. His teeth are reasonably straight.

Youngest has down syndrome and has dental issues, but his teeth are not all in and are slow coming in. Dentist is again unwilling to put braces on him w/o good oral hygiene (which he is learning slowly)

I know from my neighbor's experience that if your oral hygiene is bad while you have braces on, you could do serious damage to your teeth.

My dentist is also an orthodontist, so we would go to him for the braces if things change. My dentist has special training with special needs children.

I think they do push it too much. As an adult I've had a dentist tell me that I needed braces...and I don't have a bite problem OR crooked teeth. I have one small gap where I never had one of my permanent teeth, and ever so slightly tilted bottom teeth. He thought I should open the gap and have an implant :glare:

I did not have braces because I was told that I had beautiful teeth. For the most part they are straight on the top. However, as time has gone on, my teeth have become very crowded on the bottom and are starting to shift on the top a little bit and I realize now that I probably should have had braces as a child to avoid these problems.

It would no have cause your teeth to not shift. I had braces as a teen and had then again in my 30's because my teeth went back crooked.

I think there is something in or removed from our food that is causing our mouths to develop more narrow than in the past.

Read Winston Price's studies.

My dd had braces and palate expander at age 8. Dentist thinks she could benefit from stage 2 braces now at age 13, but isn't pushing it.

Youngest has down syndrome and has dental issues, but his teeth are not all in and are slow coming in. Dentist is again unwilling to put braces on him w/o good oral hygiene (which he is learning slowly)

My dentist is also an orthodontist, so we would go to him for the braces if things change. My dentist has special training with special needs children.

My DD9 has T21 and just got her palate expander...she's very girly and loves brushing her teeth, though :-). She is getting a waterpik for Christmas and will LOVE it :lol: -- that and Monster High Dolls and her first real American Girl doll....

Well, my son has not had braces recommended for him. But he has the straightest, most perfect teeth, it would be hard to imagine putting him in braces. My daughter, on the other hand, "needs" braces. She has a pretty face and smile. I can see that she has an overbite when I look at her open mouth from the side, but honestly, I don't think braces would ever have been recommended for her 20 years ago. We have gone for a consultation, but haven't decided whether we will get the braces or not yet.

Lisa

My ortho has told me that very few children actually NEED braces (as in their mouths will not function properly without them). They are really more of a cosmetic procedure that orthodontists somewhat mislead parents into thinking their children need. We chose not to have my oldest two get braces even though their teeth are in worse condition than most of the younger childrens'. They just happen to be born during that time transition when braces were going from being pretty rare to more common. Three of the youngest four have had braces and the other one will be getting them soon. Of those four, only one had to have them, in the sense that it affeced the functioning of their mouth.

My oldest had pallet expanders and retainer and thereby managed to avoid braces, the youngest had just about everything, and the ortho periodically checked on the middle one for free but kept saying he didn't need them. She's relatively cheap considering the amount of time she has put into my children. Even I could tell the two who need work really did need the work. She said there were a few things she could fix for the middle one, but that she thought he'd look fine without and he didn't want to bother. I guess we're lucky.

-nan

Dd12 has never had a recommendation, but ds14 did. But he has Aspergers and we were scared he would freak out so we didn't follow through. He can always decide to have them if he wants them.

DS is 18, with Aspergers.... waited a bit, and just got them last month. A patient ortho w/excellent staff helps.

I had braces and my teeth have started shifting. I think it has to do with what happens to our gums as we age :tongue_smilie: and not with having had braces or not.

Well, I'm with Kidshappen on this one, because I think that braces are a bit like plastic surgery - usually only done for appearance sake. If my kids' teeth are an actual health issue (ie, liable to fall out or not able to chew food properly) then sure, we'll organize braces. But if they have perfectly well functioning but not straight teeth, then we won't be doing it - they can arrange and pay for their own braces when they grow up, same as if they don't like their crooked nose, uneven breasts or whatever other aspect of their appearance it might be.

I've been told DS will probably need them (we actually wound up at an endodontist last week... he has teeth issues) and DD probably won't. How they can tell when she's only lost two teeth, I have no idea, but apparently her teeth and mouth are just perfect. Diva Girl wins again ;)

My oldest was told that she absolutely did not need braces.

My middle could use them for the crowding she has at the bottom, but her bite is not affected and she doesn't NEED to do them. She is very hypersensitive, so we have decided to forgo braces.

My youngest absolutely MUST have braces. This was obvious as early as infancy. She got her braces at 11.5yo. She'll probably have them for another year or so. Her crossbite has been corrected, her fangs have been brought down to where they're supposed to go, and she actually has enough room in her mouth for another set of adult teeth without having any more teeth pulled.

The two dentists in our office both told me at two different times that my dd had perfect teeth. So, there is at least one kid out there with them. Seriously, our oldest had not so great teeth. We went back and forth on fixing them for quite some time. In the end, when we refinanced our house - we pulled out enough for braces. I am still glad that we did it. It made a huge difference in his confidence and was worth every penny.

2 out of 3 dc don't need braces. Dd's teeth are straight but without the "braces look." She gets a lot of compliments on how her teeth look. Ds' teeth are very slightly "buffed" (a little bit of a beaver look).

Of course, the very allergic child is the one that will need braces. I'm not looking forward to finding out what substances the orthodonist uses (for retainer mold, etc). that he's allergic too. I don't even want to think about his wisdom teeth and oral surgery - his mouth is so small.

I wish it were the other way around - that the allergic one wouldn't need and the other 2 would.

My sister and I both had them but we both truly needed them. I have wondered the same thing. My son is 7 and the ortho wants to put braces on now, retainer and then braces again once all his perm teeth are in.

Thing is I actually agree - his teeth are crazy! But, yeah, it seems like more kids are getting them and at much younger ages.

Well Blue Lobsters, It's looking good for your oldest two nieces. First I had my braces and then we went straight into David's. Since we just got his paid off we figured we might as well take the next two kids in and just keep making the payments. The Orthodontist said Kris doesn't need them and it looks like Sarah might not either. Either way we're off the hook for at least a year. :001_smile:

Well, I'm with Kidshappen on this one, because I think that braces are a bit like plastic surgery - usually only done for appearance sake. If my kids' teeth are an actual health issue (ie, liable to fall out or not able to chew food properly) then sure, we'll organize braces. But if they have perfectly well functioning but not straight teeth, then we won't be doing it - they can arrange and pay for their own braces when they grow up, same as if they don't like their crooked nose, uneven breasts or whatever other aspect of their appearance it might be.

I guess to each his own, but I consider straight teeth very important to one's health and appearance. I've never considered braces optional for a kid that needed them. :confused:

I have 10 kids, so far 6 have had braces. The next two will get them soon. These were not for cosmetic reasons and not the typical orthodontic cases. They were all very involved. When my first two dd got their braces on, my orthodontist asked permission to take their records and use them in a conference he was giving. My orthodontist is wonderful. Knowing we had a large family, he told me my 6th child would be free. He accepted what the insurance payment was (which only covered 2000 of the 5000) and that was it. My kids adored him and he loved my kids, mainly because they did what they were supposed to.