Menu

I am never taking a break again. AAAHHH!!!

Outdoorsy Type

Agreed. We didn't do anything at all for about the last 8 days because my son was sick. I had a great Thanksgiving unit planned but we didn't do any of it. We vegged out on the couch with fevers and movies. It was really hard to get back into the swing yesterday. To top it off my daughter has a tummy ache today so we haven't started anything today.

Except for Christmas (which I have regretted every time, but still do two weeks) we no longer take more than a week off at a time. Dc cannot get back to work after that long of a vacation :glare:

I feel your pain.

:iagree::iagree: We do much the same here. Schooling year round helps so much doesn't it?? The kids thrive with the structure even if we just do math, reading and a bit of writing. I don't know that we'll take two weeks at Christmas this year . . . they all go nuts being stuck in the house for days on end with no structure :D.

We normally don't take "breaks" but had family over for T'day and the kiddos have been passing a cold around (now, to me) so we took the holiday off. Yesterday was a challenge, I just planned on half the work since we still have sniffles.

Today we were *supposed* to do a full day, but DH is home and decided to put the Christmas tree up FIRST THING (insead of after learning and after nap). So, barely a lick of work and no nap for the 2yo. I really needed that nap. :ack2:

Oh well, there's always tomorrow, right? :willy_nilly:

:iagree::iagree: We do much the same here. Schooling year round helps so much doesn't it?? The kids thrive with the structure even if we just do math, reading and a bit of writing. I don't know that we'll take two weeks at Christmas this year . . . they all go nuts being stuck in the house for days on end with no structure :D.

YES! In VA, we're supposed to be following the ps calendar, so I try to match most of our breaks up with their time off (but we end up with about a week a month anyway). I really think that year round is the way to go, but if you would have asked me while the kids were in ps I would have said you were crazy :lol:

Yesterday we got through most of what we wanted but it was a huge pain.

Today I decided not to start until the toddler's nap and I just let them play in the morning. That's worked well. Tomorrow I'll try the usual schedule.

This is my first year and I didn't realize how much impact it would have to take a week off. :glare:

I'm not taking the planned 2 weeks at Christmas. I think I'll do 1/2 days or something.

YES! In VA, we're supposed to be following the ps calendar, so I try to match most of our breaks up with their time off (but we end up with about a week a month anyway). I really think that year round is the way to go, but if you would have asked me while the kids were in ps I would have said you were crazy :lol:

I live in VA and have never heard that we're supposed to be following the PS calendar. I guess I should look into that, even though I'm definitely not going to do it. We'd have to take off 10 days a month.

Lisa

I live in VA and have never heard that we're supposed to be following the PS calendar. I guess I should look into that, even though I'm definitely not going to do it. We'd have to take off 10 days a month.

Lisa

I'm not sure what's is "otherwise provided in this article," but I am pretty sure this means we have to do school the same days as them. We take a week off a month (with a few extra weeks if we need it) so we can get our 180 days in and school year round. I do worry, though, that I may get 'caught' :lol:

Part of me says, if we're doing the same number of days, then can't we do those days when we want to? I just wish there was a year-round school nearby whose schedule I could use.

. Except as otherwise provided in this article, every parent, guardian, or other person in the Commonwealth having control or charge of any child who will have reached the fifth birthday on or before September 30 of any school year and who has not passed the eighteenth birthday shall, during the period of each year the public schools are in session and for the same number of days and hours per day as the public schools, send such child to a public school or to a private, denominational, or parochial school or have such child taught by a tutor or teacher of qualifications prescribed by the Board of Education and approved by the division superintendent, or provide for home instruction of such child as described in § 22.1-254.1.

I'm not sure what's is "otherwise provided in this article," but I am pretty sure this means we have to do school the same days as them. We take a week off a month (with a few extra weeks if we need it) so we can get our 180 days in and school year round. I do worry, though, that I may get 'caught' :lol:

Part of me says, if we're doing the same number of days, then can't we do those days when we want to? I just wish there was a year-round school nearby whose schedule I could use.

I think there's plenty of room interpretation in that wording. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about "getting caught" too much. I know people who follow the school calendar very loosely, but I don't know anyone who strictly adheres to it.

Lisa

I think there's plenty of room interpretation in that wording. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about "getting caught" too much. I know people who follow the school calendar very loosely, but I don't know anyone who strictly adheres to it.

Lisa

I really dislike 'breaking the rules' :lol:

It's more that than anything else :rollingeyes: Reading the law, though, you're right. I think it's our school superintendant that interpreted it to mean we had to follow their calendar.

Except as otherwise provided in this article, every parent, guardian, or other person in the Commonwealth having control or charge of any child who will have reached the fifth birthday on or before September 30 of any school year and who has not passed the eighteenth birthday shall, during the period of each year the public schools are in session and for the same number of days and hours per day as the public schools, send such child to a public school or to a private, denominational, or parochial school or have such child taught by a tutor or teacher of qualifications prescribed by the Board of Education and approved by the division superintendent, or provide for home instruction of such child as described in § 22.1-254.1.

You are misunderstanding the law. 22.1-254.1 IS Except as otherwise provided in this article. 22.1-254.1 is the law you need to follow. There is no dictation of specific days.

You are misunderstanding the law. 22.1-254.1 IS Except as otherwise provided in this article. 22.1-254.1 is the law you need to follow. There is no dictation of specific days.

See, now I have to contact our superintendant, because that is printed on the hsers papers that get sent out :glare:

Nevermind...posted this before I read all the other responses.

Huh? I'm in VA and I never heard that we're supposed to be following the ps calendar. Why? And where did you hear that? I don't give two hoots about their calendar, though having neighbors / friends in ps makes it tough when we're doing school and they're off.

Well today is going much better.

So first day back=much difficulty

second day back=easier, but only did 2/3 of what we wanted and we started late

third day back=back to normal

Hope everyone else is getting back in the groove as well.

Day two back, and we are at least doing a little better. My almost 7yo declared "I love reading now, Mom. I could read all day". :D I found out that the problem with Math was that my 8yo was doing addition in his head and inputting the answer wrong for TT Math. I had him write the long addition and then input the answers and he got a 95.

Now to conquer History and Science. Hopefully those will be better today as well!

Well today is going much better.

So first day back=much difficulty

second day back=easier, but only did 2/3 of what we wanted and we started late

third day back=back to normal

Hope everyone else is getting back in the groove as well.

Quoting myself as I now feel guilty after discovering part of the problem is that my 2yo is getting not one but two molars right now. Gee, do you think that had anything to do with the problems? :001_rolleyes: