Menu

LOF Pre-Algebra

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I just looked at this and I see two options for pre-algebra, Biology and Economics. Can the biology and economics lessons be skipped or are they an essential part of the book?

Thank you.

The books are meant to be used consecutively, not one or the other. The biology and economics aren't separate chapters; they are in all the chapters and used to teach the math so there is no way to skip them. They are an EXCELLENT series and the biology/economics are a great vehicle for learning the math. The Economics book has a special focus on word problems that is unlike anything I've ever seen before and shouldn't be missed IMHO.

The books are meant to be used consecutively, not one or the other. The biology and economics aren't separate chapters; they are in all the chapters and used to teach the math so there is no way to skip them. They are an EXCELLENT series and the biology/economics are a great vehicle for learning the math. The Economics book has a special focus on word problems that is unlike anything I've ever seen before and shouldn't be missed IMHO.

I see. Thanks! I wonder if these books would work for a non-mathy, non-sciencey student?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I see. Thanks! I wonder if these books would work for a non-mathy, non-sciencey student?

Definitely! Even a child who really takes his time will get through both books in less than a year because they aren't terribly long. I really can't say enough about the way LOF teaches about solving word problems in the Pre-Algebra 2 book. I've never seen anything like it before! We are solving word problems that I would have sworn were unsolvable.

Definitely! Even a child who really takes his time will get through both books in less than a year because they aren't terribly long. I really can't say enough about the way LOF teaches about solving word problems in the Pre-Algebra 2 book. I've never seen anything like it before! We are solving word problems that I would have sworn were unsolvable.

Sounds good. I might give them a try with my Dd. Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Sounds good. I might give them a try with my Dd. Thanks!

They really are a LOT of fun! If you haven't already guessed, I love LOF as much as my kids do:lol: The author of LOF was going to do a 3rd Pre-Algebra book with physics and I was really looking forward to it but has since switched to working on a series for younger kids, which I'm REALLY excited about so I've decided to forgive him for not doing the phisics book:001_smile:

We love LOF, and they may work very well. However, there isn't as much practice as you get with other methods, so if you find you need more, you may want to use some extra problems from other pre-Algebra books if you still have some others around the house. The stories are a lot of fun. We don't have pre-Algebra yet, but have a few of the others.