Menu

what does breakfast look like in your home???

Only 2 dc and me. Dds were lactose intolerant--no cold cereal, ever. Hot cereal which I actually cooked--no microwaved stuff--with butter and pure maple syrup or molasses. Sometimes eggs or pancakes, maybe french toast. I didn't try to figure out fruits and proteins and stuff. We just ate what sounded good and what I had in the fridge. :-)

I think breakfast at my house is pretty atypical. I'm gluten-intolerant, and I follow, more or less, the Primal Blueprint, so I typically eat a protein (eggs, nitrate-free bacon, or sausage) and a lower-sugar fruit (berries). Dh and dd also eat the protein, but will usually have something gluten-containing and non-primal like cereal or oatmeal. I used to make yogurt and fruit smoothies for them but haven't done that in a long time. Maybe I should start that again, because I do believe that's better than cereal.

Hot cereal, like cream of wheat or oatmeal.

Eggs of some sort. We do scrambled with onions, peppers and cheese or boiled or over easy, with toast.

Cottage cheese and fruit, toast.

Turkey sausage, cereal, fruit.

I rarely do pancakes or waffles. Sometimes if Aldi has the Fit and Active multi-grain frozen waffles, I'll get those, but that's pretty rare, too.

No juice, just fresh fruit.

And, on some days, it's just left-overs from dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this post and had to laugh because my daughter and I just ate Ben and Jerry's for breakfast...

Let me qualify that by saying this is not typical! DH and I stayed up way too late and I had one too many drinks at a Christmas party last night. I heard DD banging around downstairs this morning and I came down so my DH could sleep in- she was sitting on the couch eating ice cream, and I was too tired to do anything but grab a spoon, LOL.

I try to stick to a routine, so I don't have to think about it (NOT a morning person!)

Monday: eggs (soft boiled, scrambled, fried-- whatever the consensus is)

Tuesday: cereal (cold-- again, no junk cereals... we usually have Nature's Path organic O's or Raisin Bran)

Wednesday: waffles (we use a frozen organic brand)

Thursday: pastry (this is something we've baked earlier in the week-- soda bread, banana bread, corn muffins etc)

Friday: oatmeal or some other hot cereal--quinoa, polenta (served with cream and fresh fruit)

Saturday mornings DH and the kids are rushing off to Karate first thing so it's usually something quick like a piece of toast or waffle. Sunday mornings I make pancakes or DH makes french toast.

I painted a little wooden plaque with the days of the week and what's on the menu each day so the kids don't have to ask. It's not set in stone, but really helps having it. I don't have to hear the dreaded, "What's for breakfast??" :tongue_smilie:

We cook. :(

If I could figure out how to do healthy FAST and without cooking, I'd do it.

Protein - Eggs and/or meat

Then usually fruit & yogurt.

About twice a week we'll do nuts or eggs with muffins or oatmeal or baked oatmeal.

Love the meal just don't really need additional cooking, dishes, etc. Monday through Friday.

Most mornings we have cashew nut flour pancakes and eggs. I mix up a big batch of pancakes and keep it in the fridge so doesn't take that much time. It is high protein low simple carb and yummy.

We use honey instead of syrup. Sometimes I put blueberries in the honey, heat it a bit and beat it with my hand blender. Pretty much any fruit works.

1. Homemade Oatmeal -- with a sprinkle of brown sugar, cinnamon, maybe a bit of maple syrup (but then not brown sugar)

2. Homemade Cream of Wheat -- with a bit of honey, nutmeg, maybe a bit of plain yogurt (to make it creamy!)

3. Scrambled Eggs -- with 1/2 piece of toast

4. "Variety Breakfast" -- this is the girls' favorite. One cereal bar, some dry Cheerios, 1/2 banana, a clementine, and some raisins

5. Homemade Pancakes -- with wonderful butter and maple syrup

6. French Toast -- again, the butter and syrup :D

We major on the oatmeal and cream of wheat, have eggs once a week, and 4, 5, or 6 once a week. HTH.

I am not a morning person, so we do quick and easy.

Typical morning....

Scrambled eggs.

Turkey bacon or turkey sausage and piece of toast.

Cereal (non-sugary.)

Oatmeal.

Fruit, granola and yogurt.

I try to avoid syrup or else my kids are bouncing off the walls and then they crash from a sugar high.

Ours is SOOOOO bad...and I need a breakfast intervention and fast!!! Can anyone help me!!

We're a hot breakfast family. Cereal just won't cut it for dh, who has chores before breakfast and after. With ds growing and doing more chore-wise, he needs a real breakfast, too. I'm trying to cut out gluten, so I've switched to alternative bread products. The guys seem to like them just fine as well.

Our stand-by breakfasts are:

Eggs with seasonal fresh fruit on the side, the guys might have toast with that, too. When we're hungrier, we'll add bacon or sausage to this.

Oatmeal with seasonal fresh fruit on the side, or maybe just fruit juice.

Fruit and toast, or fruit and cheese.

Breakfast burritos, filled with scrambled eggs, cheese and salsa. Sometimes, we have leftover mexican rice and I will add that.

Bacon or sausage with grilled tomatoes topped with a bit of cheese, and some fruit on the side.

Company breakfasts (or special occasion breakfasts) are usually:

Full English

Quiche and fruit

Eggs Benedict and fruit

Love the pps' ideas of certain breakfasts on specific days. I'm a planner so that appeals to me, lol.

Typically we have:

smoothies

fruit and yogurt

toast

scrambled eggs

veggie sausage and biscuits

cold cereal

homemade breakfast burritoes

steel-cut oats

muffins

On weekends we may have:

pancakes

waffles (I make extra of these and pancakes for the boys to have during the week)

maybe once a month or so we do "real" sausage or bacon

eggs, hashbrowns, and toast

Fruit is an any time of the day snack for the boys. They typically choose a fruit for breakfast no matter what else they may eat.

The quinoa for breakfast sounds yummy! I'm off to look for recipes!

Monday - eggs

Tuesday - muffins (homemade)

Wed. - cereal (I like Wed. morning)

Thur. - pancakes (major pain but we love them)

Fri - eggs

Sat - waffles (homemade )

Sun - cereal cause we need to be out early for church.

I set this up a few months ago and it has made my mornings much easier. It is flexible' date=' if Mom wakes up late or with a headache it's cereal or frozen muffins, pancakes, or waffles (I always make extra).

Breakfast is my favorite meal.[/quote']

Love this thread and I really like this one above, since I'm also a planner and organizer. This is so do-able for me. I'm a morning person also and we recently got a fabulous waffle iron.

Sundays, I alternate between various crepes, pancakes, baked French toasts, burritos, etc. We need variety ... But since we got our waffle iron, I've been making waffles every Sunday for weeks and weeks ...

We're not a big cereal family - 2 reasons - try to avoid milk as much as possible (not easy to do) AND cereal never fills us up.

We have a fruit salad every day.