Menu

Looking for a deep dish pie pan

My sister has expressed an interest in having a deep dish pie pan. She would like one that is very deep and at least nine inches in diameter. She'd like something that matches her home decor which I'd describe as elegant but eclectic. Americana is definitely not her style. Suggestions and links would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

Mine is the Emile Henry one from Williams-Sonoma. Don't know if that fits the decor requirements, but it is an excellent ceramic baking dish.

:iagree::iagree:

ETA: I love my Emile Henry one - it was a wedding gift 14 yrs ago. I recently bought a very similar-looking one from Target - it was red on the bottom and ivory inside the pie area (my Emile Henry is an old-fashioned blue). I've only used it a couple times but it seemed to work great and was probably significantly less expensive than the other one. I can't find it on the Target website, though I did find this other one, that might be more the style you're looking for http://www.target.com/Chantal-Deep-Pie-Dish-Red/dp/B00375LSNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=deep%20pie&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-1&qid=1291094912&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Chantal%20Deep%20Pie%20Dish%20Red&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0 though I find myself wondering about lead in the paint (based on....absolutely nothing, but the deep red color in the pie area).

Edited by wapiti

I use my baking equipment more than anyone else I know. I've tried all kinds of pie dishes including Pampered Chef, Pyrex, and my beloved Emile Henry. The king of all my pie dishes though, is one from Walmart very similar to one linked above. It's dark red on the outside, ivory on the inside, and cost around $6 when I bought it a couple of years ago during the holiday season. It is nearly identical to my Emile Henry, which I paid nearly $50 for, and bakes every bit as well. :glare:

I have both the Chantal and Emile Henry pie pans. The Chantal is definitely deeper than the EH. It is also significantly less expensive and was voted by the food editors of the NYT to be the best pie pan a few years in a row.

They also used to carry a more shallow pan that would be okay for pumpkin, etc. Make sure you get the right one. I think on Amazon they run anywhere from $18 to $22, depending on the color.