Menu

KitchenAid Professional HD stand mixer and the frugal life - need advice!

So I found this KitchenAid Professional HD stand mixer that I can get delivered to me in Canada. (I am drooling over the pro 600 for $299 U.S. on amazon.com, but they won't deliver here!!) Does anyone have any experience with this model? What can you tell me? I've read every KA post here I could find, but not much on this model.

And to top it off, when I called Sears today to ask about their KA and if they would price-match from amazon.com (no), the lady told me about a Cuisinart with a 7 qt. bowl and 1000 watt power. It's $439 right now. There's also a Cuisinart 5.5 qt. bowl mixer with 800 watts. They have a 3 year warranty on basic machine (or something like that) and a 5 year warranty on the motor, as opposed to KA's 1 year warranty - I'd think KA would have a longer warranty!

OK, so higher wattage makes me think that a mixer will be able to handle heavier doughs well, but I read somewhere today this is not always the case, and I haven't studied physics in depth yet. Help!

Basically, we are a family of four, with kids heading into the mega growth years. Food allergies, frugal living, busy-so-trying-to-be-productive-and-efficient, cook and bake just about everything from scratch. I bake bread a lot (can get four loaves mixed capacity-wise by hand in a 4.5 qt. bowl). I bake cookies a lot (can get two batches, so, about 5 c. whole wheat flour and 2 c. oats plus butter/sugar/etc., mixed capacity-wise in the 4.5 qt. bowl with my KA hand mixer, but I don't like to because it strains. One batch is mostly fine with the hand mixer, but it seems to be getting more difficult). I'd like to be able to mix double and maybe triple batches of cookies at a time; I'd like to be able to mix/knead at least 4 if not more loaves of whole wheat bread dough at a time; I'd like to be able to mix/knead whole grain pasta dough - all using a stand mixer. Muffin batter, too - currently I mix 2 dozens' worth by hand or hand mixer in the 4.5 qt. bowl. I would like to mix 3-4 dozens' worth at a time. So, these sized batches of cookies/bread/muffins/pasta are my main reasons for wanting a stand mixer.

Will this model do the job easily? I have been reading online for HOURS about KA, Hobart, Cuisinart. And I'm tired of reading! What do you frugal/homeschool/busy/big baker/big cooker mothers do??? When I read things online here or elsewhere, I still can't really get a sense of how well this machine does these particular jobs. I'm not a gourmet cook who wants to whip cream and meringue and pretty little dishes - I want to make my life a little easier by mixing up bigger batches to freeze, more easily. And of course if I find fun uses for the stand mixer, bonus.

Also, does anyone know if this model, bought from amazon.ca, qualifies for the KA rebates (we do have the rebate program in Canada)? I know there are exclusions for buying from certain places.

I have a 12 c. KA food processor, if that factors in to any answers. So I wouldn't buy the mixer food processor attachment. Pasta thingys might be a consideration later on.

Thanks for any detailed help you can give!

Oh, and I wouldn't mind hearing opinions/experience about the Cuisinarts I mentioned.

I bought my KA stand mixer over 20 years ago, before dh and dc. It looks like the picture in your link, but I don't know the actual model. Back then I liked to prepare elaborate things. Today, I do what you say you want: multiple batches of more ordinary things that I freeze. My dc have celiac so I have to do most stuff from scratch. In the 20 years + that I've owned it I've had the engine cleaned twice at a local small engine repair business. I use the machine a lot so I think I do more than your average as far as mucking up the engine with flour.

20 years and chugging along great. I think that's economical. Oh and 20 years ago the prices were about the same.

I bought my KA stand mixer over 20 years ago, before dh and dc. It looks like the picture in your link, but I don't know the actual model. Back then I liked to prepare elaborate things. Today, I do what you say you want: multiple batches of more ordinary things that I freeze. My dc have celiac so I have to do most stuff from scratch. In the 20 years + that I've owned it I've had the engine cleaned twice at a local small engine repair business. I use the machine a lot so I think I do more than your average as far as mucking up the engine with flour.

20 years and chugging along great. I think that's economical. Oh and 20 years ago the prices were about the same.

This reminds me of something else I found out. I read that KA went from Hobart to Whirlpool around 1986/1987, and quality went down somewhat. Is yours a Hobart-made KA? I think they have a metal tag on them that say so. If it's a Whirlpool-made KA, then 20 years and still going strong is music to my ears!

What size is your bowl, and what amounts of batches of what type of things do you mix in it?

See, this kind of purchase is what you are frugal FOR. You're not cheap; you're FRUGAL. That means that you set and meet goals. You don't want money for its own sake, but rather so that you can improve your quality of life and have some fun along the way and advance the Kingdom.

I can't advise you about specific models. I have a KA mixer that is about 22 years old. It chugs along reliably. I don't use it as hard as you probably will, but it makes everything seem so effortless when I do use it. I have the kind that tilts back. I have heard that the stand type KA's are more powerful, but I don't have any direct experience to back that up.

If you do buy this, buy the best one you can reasonably afford. You'll probably have it for the rest of your life, and your children may well use it for the rest of their lives as well.

All my LDS friends who make their own bread, probably 4-6 loaves at a time, have the bosch mixer. They say its much more powerful than the kitchenaids and last forever. I know my mom has one from probably 25 years ago that' still going strong. They aren't cheap but you might want to check it out if you haven't.

http://www.spoilthecook.com/bosch/Bosch-Universal-Plus-Mixer-359-99.html

This reminds me of something else I found out. I read that KA went from Hobart to Whirlpool around 1986/1987, and quality went down somewhat. Is yours a Hobart-made KA? I think they have a metal tag on them that say so. If it's a Whirlpool-made KA, then 20 years and still going strong is music to my ears!

What size is your bowl, and what amounts of batches of what type of things do you mix in it?

I graduated from grad school in 88, so this is probably a Whirlpool model. There is no metal tag. It was the largest model on the market when I bought. My bowl appears to hold five quarts (it's not marked). I mixed double batches of stiff gluten free gingerbread dough (for rolling and baking into house parts) on Sat. I did two double batches back to back.

I just looked at the Bosch, you might want to get more reviews on that. If I was in the market (which I doubt I ever will be b/c my KA is doing great) I be trying to get a comparison with the two. I believe both these machines are reliable, but you may want to question a local small engine repair shop owner about which machine has been easy to maintain.

I have the 4.5 qt size. I have occasions where I feel it is too small.

I received a KA rebate when I bought online but it wasn't amazon. You should be able to find this out before you buy.

Also my mixer's head fell off about 2 weeks before the warranty expired and I got a new one, so their service is good on that at least. But if that little metal piece starts coming out, PUT IT BACK IN!

All my LDS friends who make their own bread, probably 4-6 loaves at a time, have the bosch mixer. They say its much more powerful than the kitchenaids and last forever. I know my mom has one from probably 25 years ago that' still going strong. They aren't cheap but you might want to check it out if you haven't.

:iagree:That was the opinion I formed when researching about 2 years ago. I have the bosch and I love it. Everything I read about KA is that they are not made like they used to be so hearing stories of people having them 20+ years isn't relevent anymore because the product made 20+ years ago is no longer available (as far as quality goes). I've never tried making more than 4 loaves of bread at a time because that is all that fits in my oven at one time. But the recipe I uses calls for 13 1/2 cups of fresh ground wheat flour and it handles that beautifully.

As far as cookies go, I've only ever made a double batch (because the recipe I use calls for 4 1/2 cups of flour compared to the standard 2 - 2 and 1/2 cups) and I'm not sure if a 3rd batch would fit.

I cringed at the price but I'm glad I followed hubby's urging and bought it.

I have a 4.5 qt. Kitchenaid from 1992 so it is probably the Whirlpool model. I bake bread, mix cookies, everything, and it is still going strong. I wish I had a bigger bowl, though. When I knead dough I do knead for longer (10 minutes) at a lower speed. That seems to help the motor not burn out. We've moved and moved the thing and it works like a charm.

I've never made more than two loaves of bread in one batch - bowl's just not big enough for more.

I'm considering getting an attachment, after all these years, for grinding my own beef. I'm nuts, I know. But it's working that well.

See, this kind of purchase is what you are frugal FOR. You're not cheap; you're FRUGAL. That means that you set and meet goals. You don't want money for its own sake, but rather so that you can improve your quality of life and have some fun along the way and advance the Kingdom.

I can't advise you about specific models. I have a KA mixer that is about 22 years old. It chugs along reliably. I don't use it as hard as you probably will, but it makes everything seem so effortless when I do use it. I have the kind that tilts back. I have heard that the stand type KA's are more powerful, but I don't have any direct experience to back that up.

If you do buy this, buy the best one you can reasonably afford. You'll probably have it for the rest of your life, and your children may well use it for the rest of their lives as well.

Thanks, Carol, for that first paragraph, esp.. It's nerve-wracking to think about taking a chunk of money for something that's not REALLY necessary - what if an emergency happens, and there isn't enough to cover it (entirely possible in our case)? Ugh. But, oh, that red KA is so pretty!!! :D And it seems like it would be more powerful than my KA hand mixer (which really has a hard time with just one batch of cookie dough), and the bowl would definitely hold more and the motor would hopefully mix more than my handmixer. I might also be able to get a rebate. Anyway, after I read your post I took a look around my kitchen. I have a 12 c. KA food processor that I got super cheap on an online Boxing Day sale - no 7 cupper for me, I knew I'd use the 12 c.. I have a 6 qt. crock pot - no 4 or 5 - and I use that thing to its fullest potential for frugality (quantities of dried beans, cooked and frozen - soups, stews, all to be frozen). These bigger, more powerful items make my life more frugal and easier in the long run.

Thanks for reminding me - I was going to look at this earlier today. So I had a look, and it looks like it's more big-batches-of-bread oriented, and not so great on cookie dough/muffin batter/cake batter/etc., which I then realized is more what I want a mixer for. I don't mind kneading big batches of bread on the counter - I do mind trying to keep my handmixer going in cookie dough. So, your post was helpful.

I have the KA pro 600 series one. It says not to knead more than 12 cups of all purpose flour or 6 cups of whole wheat flour at a time.

Really? I've read online that these models have a 14 c. flour power rating. And thanks for pointing out the difference between flours - I didn't know there was one. 6 c. whole wheat seems so low. That's a good consideration for me, as I only use ww flour.

I graduated from grad school in 88, so this is probably a Whirlpool model. There is no metal tag. It was the largest model on the market when I bought. My bowl appears to hold five quarts (it's not marked). I mixed double batches of stiff gluten free gingerbread dough (for rolling and baking into house parts) on Sat. I did two double batches back to back.

So this is good news to me! :D Whirlpool model going strong after 20 years, and mixing double batches of stiff cookie dough back to back. Sounds like a strong motor.

I just looked at the Bosch, you might want to get more reviews on that. If I was in the market (which I doubt I ever will be b/c my KA is doing great) I be trying to get a comparison with the two. I believe both these machines are reliable, but you may want to question a local small engine repair shop owner about which machine has been easy to maintain.

I did find a comparison of Bosch and KA - it made me think the KA would be more useful to me. If I hated mixing big batches of bread dough only, Bosch would be the way to go.

I have the 4.5 qt size. I have occasions where I feel it is too small.

I received a KA rebate when I bought online but it wasn't amazon. You should be able to find this out before you buy.

I wrote a note to myself to call KA Canada to ask about a rebate on this model and with buying it online.

When do you feel the bowl is too small?

:iagree:That was the opinion I formed when researching about 2 years ago. I have the bosch and I love it. Everything I read about KA is that they are not made like they used to be so hearing stories of people having them 20+ years isn't relevent anymore because the product made 20+ years ago is no longer available (as far as quality goes). I've never tried making more than 4 loaves of bread at a time because that is all that fits in my oven at one time. But the recipe I uses calls for 13 1/2 cups of fresh ground wheat flour and it handles that beautifully.

As far as cookies go, I've only ever made a double batch (because the recipe I use calls for 4 1/2 cups of flour compared to the standard 2 - 2 and 1/2 cups) and I'm not sure if a 3rd batch would fit.

I cringed at the price but I'm glad I followed hubby's urging and bought it.

The more I think about it, the more I think I want to err on the cookie/muffin/cake batter side of things, rather than bread. Of course, now I wonder if I might at least get a 4-loaf batch of bread dough started in the KA to make it smoother, and take it out to finish by hand when it's too stiff....must think about that idea.

When I knead dough I do knead for longer (10 minutes) at a lower speed. That seems to help the motor not burn out.

I've never made more than two loaves of bread in one batch - bowl's just not big enough for more.

Bowl is too small - but do you think the motor, run the way you describe, would be able to handle more dough? I like your kneading idea. I bet I could probably experiment with loads and speeds and figure out a bread dough routine that would be satisfactory.

I'm wondering if machine-kneaded dough comes out lighter and fluffier? I know it works the gluten well, but does it incorporate more air for the rising? My friend with a bread machine uses whole grain flour, and hers is always much higher and fluffier than mine. I've always hand mixed and kneaded.

My kitchen aid mixer is 20 years old and going strong.

Whirlpool, do you think? If so, good to hear.

When do you feel the bowl is too small?

I find the 4.5 qt model is too small when I have more than about 6 c of flour. For example, Edna Staebler's full recipe for Mary Ann's magic dough, I MUST do by hand. I can only use the mixer for a half recipe. In that case, it climbs the machine hook area and is a huge mess.

HOWEVER, this is a smaller model than the one you are looking at.

I never make huge batches of cookies / cakes, only bread, so that's the issue. When I called the customer service re problems with the head, she asked me if I used more than (x) cups of flour. It does state this in the directions and yes, for whole wheat you should use even less.

So for this I am more likely to look towards no-knead breads or hand kneading.

The more I think about it, the more I think I want to err on the cookie/muffin/cake batter side of things, rather than bread. Of course, now I wonder if I might at least get a 4-loaf batch of bread dough started in the KA to make it smoother, and take it out to finish by hand when it's too stiff....must think about that idea.

If I was aiming for cookie dough, I don't know if I would have spent the money on the bosch, unless you have really stiff dough. LIke I said above the recipe I use is very thick and I always had a hard time incorporating all the flour. The bosch does the whole thing in about 5 mintues (including mixing in chocolate chunks) which I do very much appreciate. The down side is that I don't have the special cookie paddles (and I'm too cheap to spend the money on them) so I have to put the wisk on to cream the butter/sugar step and then switch to the dough hook for mixing in flour and chips. Not a huge deal but it's an extra step and extra dishes to wash. I don't make cookies very often so it's not a big deal but something to consider for your situation.

I've never had a muffin batter thick enough that my hand mixer didn't do the job. I can't imagine trying to bother with the bosch for it, especially when my regular mixing bowls are far bigger (I usually bake 4-8 dozen muffins at a time). DItto with cake that 's a pretty thin batter.

So if I was really wanting it for cakes/muffins I'd definitely get the KA. Cookies, I'd be analyzing the heaviness of the dough (I know the KA wouldn't keep up with my recipes), bread definitely the bosch. I didn't mind hand kneading bread either but the time involved was the problem. I didn't always have time to knead and thus wouldn't make bread as often as we needed it and would resort to store stuff. However, once I got the bosch, I was estatic because it saved SOOO much time. I can turn out beautiful bread in 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. The machine kneads it so much better than I ever could by hand.

I bought the Pro Line 6qt KA last year around this time. I love it. I opted for the larger one for the simple fact I can always get a smaller bowl from KA to work with it, yet if I would have gotten the smaller machine I would not be able to go larger.

I have yet to find anything that my KA cannot handle. I grind meat with my grinder attachment, I make our noodles (with another attachment), I do all kinds of stuff with it. Now for someone who is frugal, I would recommend a KA and recommend getting the attachments. It will pay for itself in no time! Also saving you money in the long run. I buy bulk meat now and grind all our own meats for a fraction of the cost, also I save money making the noodles, breads, etc. I am always finding ways my KA can save me money!

I actually sold my Bosch to buy a KA Pro 5 plus mixer earlier this year. I don't tend to make more than 2-3 loaves at a time and the bosch was a pain when making cakes because the center post made it harder to dump out the contents. I've found my PRO 5+ to be just as good at making bread, it does have the metal gear box again and I love the lift bowl much more than my old, old KA that had the tilt head (that one died about 3 years ago). I recently made pizza dough in my KA and it handled it great. The key is to listen to the directions that say don't knead bread at higher than speed 2, it may take a few minutes longer than the Bosch, but the end result was the same for me. My mom also bought me the slicer/shredder attachment and that thing can whip through a huge block of cheese in a matter of seconds.

I find the 4.5 qt model is too small when I have more than about 6 c of flour. For example, Edna Staebler's full recipe for Mary Ann's magic dough, I MUST do by hand. I can only use the mixer for a half recipe. In that case, it climbs the machine hook area and is a huge mess.

HOWEVER, this is a smaller model than the one you are looking at.

I never make huge batches of cookies / cakes, only bread, so that's the issue. When I called the customer service re problems with the head, she asked me if I used more than (x) cups of flour. It does state this in the directions and yes, for whole wheat you should use even less.

So for this I am more likely to look towards no-knead breads or hand kneading.

6 c. flour is a good guage for me. The model I'm looking at is only a half quart bigger than your bowl.

If I was aiming for cookie dough, I don't know if I would have spent the money on the bosch, unless you have really stiff dough. LIke I said above the recipe I use is very thick and I always had a hard time incorporating all the flour. The bosch does the whole thing in about 5 mintues (including mixing in chocolate chunks) which I do very much appreciate. The down side is that I don't have the special cookie paddles (and I'm too cheap to spend the money on them) so I have to put the wisk on to cream the butter/sugar step and then switch to the dough hook for mixing in flour and chips. Not a huge deal but it's an extra step and extra dishes to wash. I don't make cookies very often so it's not a big deal but something to consider for your situation.

I've never had a muffin batter thick enough that my hand mixer didn't do the job. I can't imagine trying to bother with the bosch for it, especially when my regular mixing bowls are far bigger (I usually bake 4-8 dozen muffins at a time). DItto with cake that 's a pretty thin batter.

So if I was really wanting it for cakes/muffins I'd definitely get the KA. Cookies, I'd be analyzing the heaviness of the dough (I know the KA wouldn't keep up with my recipes), bread definitely the bosch. I didn't mind hand kneading bread either but the time involved was the problem. I didn't always have time to knead and thus wouldn't make bread as often as we needed it and would resort to store stuff. However, once I got the bosch, I was estatic because it saved SOOO much time. I can turn out beautiful bread in 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. The machine kneads it so much better than I ever could by hand.

I did notice that the Bosch didn't include cookie paddles in the price. That seems odd to me.

And you are making the Bosch sound really great for bread.....

If I didn't have to think about cost at all, I'd go straight for the 12 (I think) qt. Hobart I was looking at yesterday - that would take care of everything and save me tons of time!!

Thank you, everyone, for your input - it has been very helpful.

Oops, I didn't see these replies. Thank you.

I bought the Pro Line 6qt KA last year around this time. I love it. I opted for the larger one for the simple fact I can always get a smaller bowl from KA to work with it, yet if I would have gotten the smaller machine I would not be able to go larger.

I have yet to find anything that my KA cannot handle. I grind meat with my grinder attachment, I make our noodles (with another attachment), I do all kinds of stuff with it. Now for someone who is frugal, I would recommend a KA and recommend getting the attachments. It will pay for itself in no time! Also saving you money in the long run. I buy bulk meat now and grind all our own meats for a fraction of the cost, also I save money making the noodles, breads, etc. I am always finding ways my KA can save me money!

You don't know how much I wish amazon.com would ship that Pro 600 6 qt. to Canada!!! It's the same price, and the dollar is near par these days!!

The pasta attachment is something else I know I'd use, too, which has been another consideration. Although, I liked the Cuisinart pasta attachment better....and as far as other attachments on either machine - I already have a great KA food processor, I can't see myself grinding meat even if I were to ever buy part of an animal once a year, I have an old ice cream maker (ice and salt! yet electric crank) that holds 4 qt. instead of 2...but pasta would be useful.

Can you tell I am talking to myself. I definitely want *something* to make life easier and that will continue to save costs for us. Thanks for pointing out things to me.

I actually sold my Bosch to buy a KA Pro 5 plus mixer earlier this year. I don't tend to make more than 2-3 loaves at a time and the bosch was a pain when making cakes because the center post made it harder to dump out the contents. I've found my PRO 5+ to be just as good at making bread, it does have the metal gear box again and I love the lift bowl much more than my old, old KA that had the tilt head (that one died about 3 years ago). I recently made pizza dough in my KA and it handled it great. The key is to listen to the directions that say don't knead bread at higher than speed 2, it may take a few minutes longer than the Bosch, but the end result was the same for me. My mom also bought me the slicer/shredder attachment and that thing can whip through a huge block of cheese in a matter of seconds.

Center post - yes, I thought I'd read that somewhere. That would be a pain for me, too. And thanks for pointing out, as I think someone else did, that the key is to not knead bread at a higher speed. I'm still thinking about amounts, though, and whole grains.

This is so hard to decide!!!

You don't know how much I wish amazon.com would ship that Pro 600 6 qt. to Canada!!!

Are they the only ones who sell it online, from the US?

How about this?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=214340226

They supposedly ship to Canada (not sure of cost). I purchased something from them a few years ago.

What about directly from KA - Canada?

http://shop.kitchenaid.ca/

They show the 600 one there under mixers. Expensive though!

Edited by stripe

6 c. flour is a good guage for me. The model I'm looking at is only a half quart bigger than your bowl.

I did notice that the Bosch didn't include cookie paddles in the price. That seems odd to me.

And you are making the Bosch sound really great for bread.....

If I didn't have to think about cost at all, I'd go straight for the 12 (I think) qt. Hobart I was looking at yesterday - that would take care of everything and save me tons of time!!

Thank you, everyone, for your input - it has been very helpful.

If you think more about the Bosch, Pleasant Hill has the best price, I think --$359:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Bosch_Universal_Plus_Mixer_MUM6N10UC.aspx

They ship to Canada, but I'm not sure if the free shipping applies.

I've had a KA Professional 6 for about 10 yrs now. I always thought it was a 6 qt bowl? It is going strong. I would mix 3 loaves of bread it it regularly at one point. Now I fell in love with my bread machine because it's less work for me, only have to dump the ing. in and have a fresh loaf every day if I want one.

I can easy mix three batches of whole wheat cookies. I rarely,if ever have the bowl full. One time I hade mashed potatoes for a huge crowd and acually had it to the overflow stage.

Would you consider using a bread machine for your bread baking? I make beautiful mostly whole wheat bread with mine. I really like not having to get my hands into the dough. Now that I got my recipe downpat, my loaf never. flops and is always the same, day after day.

Maybe you should consider a bread machine and the use mixer for cookies and such. I always just use the mix option for bread on the KA, thats what my directions said to use to avoid the motor overheating!! Very important.

Are they the only ones who sell it online, from the US?

How about this?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=214340226

They supposedly ship to Canada (not sure of cost). I purchased something from them a few years ago.

What about directly from KA - Canada?

http://shop.kitchenaid.ca/

They show the 600 one there under mixers. Expensive though!

The pro 600 is $299 this week on amazon.com - that is WAAAAYYYY cheaper than here in Canada! My local Sears has it on sale for $549 this week, reg. $699.

If you think more about the Bosch, Pleasant Hill has the best price, I think --$359:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Bosch_Universal_Plus_Mixer_MUM6N10UC.aspx

They ship to Canada, but I'm not sure if the free shipping applies.

Thanks for that site - I just read quite a bit more detail about the Bosch.

You know, I actually found the Pro 600 for $285 after $50 rebate on EverythingKitchens.com, which is where I bought mine last Christmas (Merry Christmas to me! :D). They take Canadian orders but don't ship there--they'd ship to someone in the US for free though. Do you know anyone in the US who could forward it to you? If I knew anything about shipping to Canada, I'd gladly do it for you. I wonder how difficult it is, hmmm... Anyone?

ETA:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchenaid-mixer-pearl-metallic-6-quart-pro-600-KP26M1XPM.html

Be forewarned that the thing weighs A TON, so re-shipping wouldn't be cheap. Maybe it's worth the cost with the price difference though.

Edited by melissel

I've had a KA Professional 6 for about 10 yrs now. I always thought it was a 6 qt bowl? It is going strong. I would mix 3 loaves of bread it it regularly at one point. Now I fell in love with my bread machine because it's less work for me, only have to dump the ing. in and have a fresh loaf every day if I want one.

I can easy mix three batches of whole wheat cookies. I rarely,if ever have the bowl full. One time I hade mashed potatoes for a huge crowd and acually had it to the overflow stage.

Would you consider using a bread machine for your bread baking? I make beautiful mostly whole wheat bread with mine. I really like not having to get my hands into the dough. Now that I got my recipe downpat, my loaf never. flops and is always the same, day after day.

Maybe you should consider a bread machine and the use mixer for cookies and such. I always just use the mix option for bread on the KA, thats what my directions said to use to avoid the motor overheating!! Very important.

We regularly make four loaves of ww bread at a time, by hand. That used to last a week, now it doesn't. I'd like to maybe do 8 loaves' worth of dough at a time, and now I know the KA won't do it. I think a bread maker would drive me crazy, with having to do that every day or two. I like to do big batches, freeze, and not have to deal with cooking/baking for a few more days/weeks.

This is ridiculous - I keep changing my mind, even in this thread! Sorry, folks. Thanks for bearing with me, as I think out loud here with all your great input.

I'll be reading more about Bosch tonight, and seeing what I can find in Canada.

You know, I actually found the Pro 600 for $285 after $50 rebate on EverythingKitchens.com, which is where I bought mine last Christmas (Merry Christmas to me! :D). They take Canadian orders but don't ship there--they'd ship to someone in the US for free though. Do you know anyone in the US who could forward it to you? If I knew anything about shipping to Canada, I'd gladly do it for you. I wonder how difficult it is, hmmm... Anyone?

Aw, thank you! The pro 600 is $299 at amazon.COM right now (and the Pro HD is $299 with $50 rebate at amazon.CA right now, which I can easily get, but it's smaller), and then there is a $50 rebate, which I know is a GREAT deal, even with the exchange (near par). I have family and friends in the States, and we would get there or they would visit us sooner or later. Shipping that thing from a family member in the States would be outrageously expensive for me. But I am also impatient - I don't wanna wait til next summer possibly, if I'm going to get a mixer at all. :D And I've been investigating Hobart/Cuisinart/Bosch. And trying to figure out what would REALLY be useful in the long term, for the best price. And I keep changing my mind.

:lol: It took me two years of driving DH crazy to decide to buy mine!

EXACTLY!!!!:lol::lol: I've been thinking about this for a long time, and now Black Friday and Cyber Monday (a term I just learned on Saturday) deals are creeping over into Canada....so I'm investigating. My husband is rolling his eyes a lot at me the past few days.:lol:

Aw, thank you! The pro 600 is $299 at amazon.COM right now (and the Pro HD is $299 with $50 rebate at amazon.CA right now, which I can easily get, but it's smaller), and then there is a $50 rebate, which I know is a GREAT deal, even with the exchange (near par). I have family and friends in the States, and we would get there or they would visit us sooner or later. Shipping that thing from a family member in the States would be outrageously expensive for me. But I am also impatient - I don't wanna wait til next summer possibly, if I'm going to get a mixer at all. :D And I've been investigating Hobart/Cuisinart/Bosch. And trying to figure out what would REALLY be useful in the long term, for the best price. And I keep changing my mind.

Yeah, I hear you. Well, I'll tell you something that might (or might not!) help you make your decision. I HATE the bowl-lift feature on the KA Pros. Hate it. I'd read the discussion about it here and thought, "Well, so many people have them and it's fine, I'm sure it's not that big a deal." But if I used my KA as much as it sounds like you will, it would annoy me greatly. It can definitely be worked around, and I'm not selling it for that reason or anything, but if you're considering all your options anyway, you might want to think about how important easier access to your dough will be to you.

EXACTLY!!!!:lol::lol: I've been thinking about this for a long time, and now Black Friday and Cyber Monday (a term I just learned on Saturday) deals are creeping over into Canada....so I'm investigating. My husband is rolling his eyes a lot at me the past few days.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: DH was finally like, "Oh for the love of pete, please, just BUY the thing! Or I'LL buy the thing for you! Any color you want! Just please stop talking about mixers!!!"

Have you considered the Viking? 800-1000watts/5-6qts. Strong but with the stand mixer style.

I have one friend who's very happy with hers.

I'm researching too but leaning toward a more bread-based one like the Bosch or Electrolux.

:svengo: :lol: I did come across the Viking name in my internet research travels, but haven't looked that up yet. I also saw Electrolux. I wonder if there is a huge comparison chart anywhere, that compares all these different brands thoroughly.

I'm thinking this is like when you read about new homeschoolers who are doing massive research on methods, styles, books, curriculum, and they come here and say "I'm overwhelmed! Help me choose!" And ultimately you have to just tell them, "here's the info., here's my experience, now you go make the best decision you can." Now I know how they feel. I never really went through that - I'd done a lot of general reading about homeschooling, but when it came to picking a "curriculum" or specific plan, I read WTM and went with it. Put my blinders on (mostly) to other things, lol.

Yeah, I hear you. Well, I'll tell you something that might (or might not!) help you make your decision. I HATE the bowl-lift feature on the KA Pros. Hate it. I'd read the discussion about it here and thought, "Well, so many people have them and it's fine, I'm sure it's not that big a deal." But if I used my KA as much as it sounds like you will, it would annoy me greatly. It can definitely be worked around, and I'm not selling it for that reason or anything, but if you're considering all your options anyway, you might want to think about how important easier access to your dough will be to you.

I thought about the bowl-lift thing. Right now I'm in the thought stage of "it's not a big deal." :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: DH was finally like, "Oh for the love of pete, please, just BUY the thing! Or I'LL buy the thing for you! Any color you want! Just please stop talking about mixers!!!"

OK, my ab muscles are contracting with laughter!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Why can't the strong 12 qt. Hobart come in KA's Empire Red, with the pasta attachment that Cuisinart makes????

ohmygoodness, I gotta go teach - I've slacked far too much the past few days..........I'll check this thread later. Keep the laughs coming!

I bought mine through Everything Kitchens also. http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchen_aid_pro_600.html after rebate it is super cheap and you get free shipping.

Also check the KA outlet store often. They usually have great deals also. Oh, and free shipping on 249 and over.http://shopkitchenaid.com/product_list.asp?SKW=KTAOUTSTAND&HDR=outlet

I'd like to maybe do 8 loaves' worth of dough at a time, and now I know the KA won't do it.

I definitely do not think a 5 qt mixer is big enough for this. I am not sure how much a 6 qt will hold, but with whole wheat, I'd look at this VERY carefully.

I think there is a weak point in the tilt head. It involves this mysterious silver pin that comes out with vigorous usage. If not pushed back in, the tilt head WILL fall off, and then you can't get the pin back in. Ask me how I know.

And boy are those suckers heavy.

I've read through this whole thread (and replied a couple of times already), but I know I struggled with the decision of if I even needed a mixer before I ever got to the which mixer.

First off, I know you said you were leaning towards selecting a mixer more for cookie/muffin/cake and less for bread. But you also said you would love to make up to 8 loaves at a time so I do think you need to consider bread a bit more heavily in your equation. Bare with me this next part may get long.

Right now how much time do you spend kneading the dough to make your 4 loaves? And how many time a week are you doing it? The recipe I use happens to have time calibrations for a bread mixer, a bosch mixer and a KA mixer. So for my bosch, I dump the ingredients in, turn on for 3 minutes, rest for 15-20 minutes, turn on for 12 minutes, shape and put in pans. So my total time investment from, mixing/kneading, first rise and re-kneading is 30-35 minutes and of that my hands on time is maybe a minute as I turn in on and off. During the other 29 minutes, I can clean my kitchen, switch the laundry etc.

So based on that how much time would save from hand kneading?

Then for comparison sake, how often do you make the cookies/cake/muffins? With my very stiff cookie dough, I would say the bosch saves me about 10-15 minutes for a double batch (because I usually have to stop and rest when mixing by hand). I can't see how muffins/cakes would change the time drastically (maybe up to 5 minutes each max) because they typically are a thinner batter to mix.

So based on those numbers, which are you likely to make more often and which will save you the most time? If your goal is to simplify things and make it easier for you, pick a machine geared towards the one that saves you the most time. THe bosch will make cookie dough/cake etc dough but not as gracefully as say a KA. A KA will make whole wheat bread dough but not as efficiently as a Bosch.

So if I were in your shoes, first I would identify what product you are spending the most time and effort to produce and pick the machine for that. It will still save you some effort for the other product and that can just be a bonus.

Here I am replying again. In my mixer book it states for a 6qt mixer when mixing dough here is the specs to stick by. I hope this helps some. Now this should help you figure out how much dough you can mix at once in the 6qt mixer. To me it is a lot. Now to others it might not be.

Never use a recipe calling for more than 14 cups of all purpose flour or 8 cups of whole wheat flour when making dough in the 6qt mixer.

I definitely do not think a 5 qt mixer is big enough for this. I am not sure how much a 6 qt will hold, but with whole wheat, I'd look at this VERY carefully.

And boy are those suckers heavy.

What would work very well, if she really likes the red one is to mix her bread in two batches. I have done that. Mix three loaves, flop on counter mix three more, cover everything with a large plastic and let rise. I never can tell that it wasn't mixed at the same time. Anything is better then having to do it by hand. I can't imagine doing it all by hand.

I always leave mine in the corner of the counter top.

I also like the lift bowl feature. I can't imagine what someone wouldn't like about it.

I really appreciate all the help you've all given me!!!

I bought mine through Everything Kitchens also. http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchen_aid_pro_600.html after rebate it is super cheap and you get free shipping.

Also check the KA outlet store often. They usually have great deals also. Oh, and free shipping on 249 and over.http://shopkitchenaid.com/product_list.asp?SKW=KTAOUTSTAND&HDR=outlet

Well, thanks for that link to Everything Kitchens, because there I discovered that KA *does* have a pasta attachment like the one I saw for Cuisinart! Yay! I just can't find it at the KitchenAid Canada site. Anyway, I know it's out there, and I think I saw that amazon.COM will at least ship the attachment to Canada.

I called Everything Kitchens, and they will not ship to Canada. But that's alright, because the price is still better on amazon.CA right now. I still have another day to decide... All my searching has me concluding that this amazon.CA deal on the HD is a really good one.

I read somewhere 6-8 c. whole wheat for the 5 qt., I think. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've read through this whole thread (and replied a couple of times already), but I know I struggled with the decision of if I even needed a mixer before I ever got to the which mixer.

First off, I know you said you were leaning towards selecting a mixer more for cookie/muffin/cake and less for bread. But you also said you would love to make up to 8 loaves at a time so I do think you need to consider bread a bit more heavily in your equation. Bare with me this next part may get long.

Right now how much time do you spend kneading the dough to make your 4 loaves? And how many time a week are you doing it? The recipe I use happens to have time calibrations for a bread mixer, a bosch mixer and a KA mixer. So for my bosch, I dump the ingredients in, turn on for 3 minutes, rest for 15-20 minutes, turn on for 12 minutes, shape and put in pans. So my total time investment from, mixing/kneading, first rise and re-kneading is 30-35 minutes and of that my hands on time is maybe a minute as I turn in on and off. During the other 29 minutes, I can clean my kitchen, switch the laundry etc.

So based on that how much time would save from hand kneading?

Then for comparison sake, how often do you make the cookies/cake/muffins? With my very stiff cookie dough, I would say the bosch saves me about 10-15 minutes for a double batch (because I usually have to stop and rest when mixing by hand). I can't see how muffins/cakes would change the time drastically (maybe up to 5 minutes each max) because they typically are a thinner batter to mix.

So based on those numbers, which are you likely to make more often and which will save you the most time? If your goal is to simplify things and make it easier for you, pick a machine geared towards the one that saves you the most time. THe bosch will make cookie dough/cake etc dough but not as gracefully as say a KA. A KA will make whole wheat bread dough but not as efficiently as a Bosch.

So if I were in your shoes, first I would identify what product you are spending the most time and effort to produce and pick the machine for that. It will still save you some effort for the other product and that can just be a bonus.

Your post was extremely helpful to my thinking. I know I need to figure out the time savings and my mind was getting so muddled. It helped to have you spell that all out for me.

Making four loaves takes me about 20-30 minutes. And really, it should be twice a week instead of once. I always feel like we are rationing bread nowadays, just because our habit has been to make it once a week. If I really analyzed it (I'm tired right now from researching so much) I could probably come up with a new plan of buying a bigger bowl and new ways of fitting eight loaves' worth of dough into the oven (like four 9x13 glass pans instead of using bread pans - do I really need loaf shapes? and so on, thinking like that). I'd have to figure out if loaves on the bottom rack would burn before loaves on the top rack baked. So, I guess the real appeal of the Bosch's bread making ability is the seemingly fluffier loaves, even with whole grain flour, because of incorporating more air. I am just having a hard time letting myself spend $459 Cdn. plus the $20 cookie paddles plus $15 shipping, vs. the $299 Cdn. minus $50 rebate no shipping charge for the KA Pro HD. The attachments (I am interested in the pasta, and maybe grain grinding someday) seem to be pricier for Bosch, although maybe they are better quality, I don't know. I've read that for all the problems people have had with KA kneading, half the time it's a matter of following directions.

And, I make cookies and muffins as about as much as I make bread. It probably takes me the same amount of time as making bread. I make two dozen muffins at a time with my hand mixer, but my batters are somewhat thick, so this is getting iffy. I guess what I'm thinking is that the $299-50 is something that will be less costly and I might be willing to think through how to make my baking more efficient in order to make more, while processing things through the KA twice, instead of trying to do big batches once? It will surely be easier than my handmixer at this point.

Here I am replying again. In my mixer book it states for a 6qt mixer when mixing dough here is the specs to stick by. I hope this helps some. Now this should help you figure out how much dough you can mix at once in the 6qt mixer. To me it is a lot. Now to others it might not be.

Never use a recipe calling for more than 14 cups of all purpose flour or 8 cups of whole wheat flour when making dough in the 6qt mixer.

Ah yes, I knew I'd read this somewhere - it was here! :lol: Thank you. You're right, for me 8 c. is not a lot. And it's probably less for the 5 qt.

What would work very well, if she really likes the red one is to mix her bread in two batches. I have done that. Mix three loaves, flop on counter mix three more, cover everything with a large plastic and let rise. I never can tell that it wasn't mixed at the same time. Anything is better then having to do it by hand. I can't imagine doing it all by hand.

Yep, besides my "bigger bowl four glass pans" idea above, I also thought of this while washing dishes tonight, then I read this. I could plan ahead and get efficient with this plan in order to save money. And I don't care if it wasn't mixed at the same time, as long as I can mass produce efficiently without damaging anything.

As do I. My grandma thinks it's tacky! Oh well. I was referring to its weight for shipping, though, not for keeping somewhere else.

I thought you meant weight for carrying, too. :D I was thinking that I rather don't mind the weight - my KA (red!) food processor is heavy and it makes me think it's a good motor. :D

Anyway, as for weight, the $299-50 one I'm looking at to order from amazon in Canada has FREE SHIPPING!! Another huge factor for me.

Thanks so much for thinking all this through with me! If anything I wrote is inconsistent, chalk it up to my whirring mind from reading and comparing so much. I can't even remember when I come back to this thread, what I've read here or elsewhere.

So.................after all my research and after everyone's help here, I think I'm going to get a BOSCH!!!!!!!

I did think through what I wanted a mixer for in the first place, and I think I want this thing because it will do lots of bread, plus the cookies/cakes/muffins side of things. I read a review here and there that complained about the centre post and about cookie/cake/muffin batter not being as thoroughly mixed as in a KA, but I decided I don't mind scraping the awkward shaped bowl. It's not difficult enough to prevent me from being able to whip up 6-8 loaves of ww bread, and triple batches of cookies/cakes/muffins!!!!

I talked to the very nice owner of a Bosch dealer in Western Canada tonight, who told me she raised six kids, and how much her Bosch has helped her over 30 years. Wow. She also explained to me that in the 6.5 qt. bowl, you can fit 14-16 c. whole wheat (freshly ground, so probably even denser than my "whole wheat", I didn't know that, either!!) flour and 7 c. of liquid to make four loaves of 2 lb. bread. I make four loaves at a time by hand, and I'm sure I don't use nearly 14 c. flour - I bet her recipe would give me MORE than four loaves!!!!!

And then!!! She told me that they also sell an 8 (I think 8) qt. steel bowl, in which you can mix up 7 of her ww loaves, with 22-23 c. ww (freshly ground!) flour!!! So then I clued in that for the Bosch, it's only the bowl size that limits the amount of dough - the MOTOR ITSELF can handle a bigger load than 14-16 cups. THAT is what sold me, folks. That plus the fact that it's less than 2/3 more of the price of the sale KA. For me, it's the far better financial investment. After reading all the negative reviews of the KA burning out by trying to do more than 6-8 c. worth of ww flour, this was a huge relief. I won't buy that bigger bowl, but now knowing that this thing really can *easily* handle what to me are four HUGE dense loaves, I'm sold.

So then someday I'll want a grain mill (would like to try grinding my own flour - I'm sure it'll taste a lot better), a pasta maker (one of these sets makes up for two of the KA sets I was interested in, for half the price), and a meat grinder to attach the pasta maker to. Someday. :D Oh, and grinding my own wheat to make my own pasta, I can't wait!!!!!! I'm sure those things will pay for themselves over a short period of time, too. And I was also thinking that because homemade pasta has so much egg in it, I could cut down on meat in pasta sauce, therefore cutting my meal cost. That's right up my frugal alley. :D It seems like, overall, this expensive-to-me machine will pay for itself many times over in the years to come. And free shipping til Dec. 10, and a sale price, and the cookie paddles for a discount with the machine!

So, YAY! Thank you all once again for helping me!

Edited by Colleen in NS

I haven't read the replies (I'm in zombie tired mode, just waiting for the dog to come in) but saw this.

I have the KA Pro 600. Looks great on my counter, love it for cookies/cakes/frostings.

But I love making homeade bread, and this is no good for that. Get the Bosch.

:)

I absolutely love my Bosch....and wouldn't second guess another machine. I use it for everything. I have never had a batch of bread that fails me. I also have the food chopper and blender attachments and, again, I use these very faithfully. I think you will be super happy with your Bosch and sounds like you have a connection in Canada for them. That person can prove to be a wonderful resource for you, if you have any questions/problems down the line. Good luck!