Menu

Sleep talking or ? in child ??

Pretty consistently for over a week now my six year old has been calling out (crying loudly, calling for me, saying things like "oh no!" or "help") in the night. I go to him but he very much appears to be asleep and unaware of my presence. He's a little distressed I guess but not hysterical and only once or twice has he been moving around when I go in. He does not wake up or respond when I talk to him. The second time it happened I turned on the light and he sat straight up, looked as if he were startled awake and confused, then immediately seemed to go back to sleep. I shook him and he sat up and did the same thing then went back to sleep again. Another time early on I took him out of bed and he woke and was confused/didn't seem to be aware he called for me. So he appears to be in a very deep sleep. Since that point I've not tried to wake him. These are very short episodes. I thought my going in was somehow stopping them even though he appeared to be asleep but last night I just waited outside the door listening and he stopped shortly on his own. I think my going to him hasn't been doing a thing probably.

I'm assuming it's just a phase and nothing can be done? Or does this sound worrisome?

It sounds like night terrors to me. My sons both have them when they have fevers :glare: My nephews went through a phase with them. My sister's ped told her to give them cough medicine to help them sleep through it.

It's terrifying and as far as I know there isn't anything that can be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror

My husband has night terrors at least once a week, sometimes even once every night. He describes it as a feeling of trying to wake up and hearing himself scream, but being unable to rouse himself into wakefulness. He feels much better if I shake him awake as soon as possible, but that could be because he often does wake himself up instead of just going back to sleep like your son. Occasional night terrors are normal, but my husband's frequency (night terrors are particularly rare in adults) worried us, so we saw a doctor. Unfortunately, there isn't a magic pill to stop them from happening, and although night terrors can be linked to depression or a traumatic past, there is nothing in his history that would explain it.

Really? These are night terrors? She said he doesn't seem particularly distressed. I would assume it was a sleep walking/talking kind of thing. My kids had night terrors and it was terrifying to deal with - the crying/screaming/fighting without being able to be consoled and inability to wake up. I talk in my sleep and so does my oldest son. For fun, dh will have "conversations" with me. When I am yelling at him to leave me alone, he knows not to continue the "conversation." I don't remember them in the morning.

Sounds like normal bad dreams to me. Night terrors would be much worse. My dd talks in her sleep every night about 3 hours after she falls asleep. Sometimes she cries, sometimes she laughs, sometimes she calls out, but it doesn't last long, and she doesn't wake up or remember.

My brother did it too. It was always fun to try and question him during this time. What can I say- little sisters need something to entertain themselves. :D

Really? These are night terrors? She said he doesn't seem particularly distressed. I would assume it was a sleep walking/talking kind of thing. My kids had night terrors and it was terrifying to deal with - the crying/screaming/fighting without being able to be consoled and inability to wake up. I talk in my sleep and so does my oldest son. For fun, dh will have "conversations" with me. When I am yelling at him to leave me alone, he knows not to continue the "conversation." I don't remember them in the morning.

Lighter night terrors can seem minimal... She said he was crying or saying 'oh no' so I assume the majority of the "terror" is held in. They've run the gamut here, but for us the boys nearly always have their eyes open (which is the scariest part for me). We've had 'minor' ones where they just call out or start crying and downright chilling ones where they're interacting, but just not all there.

Thank you all for your responses. I was starting to be a tiny bit concerned but reading this has reassured me. I read up on night terrors and I'm not sure he's really terrorized and he's only been moving once or twice. But he is always screaming or yelling something distressed like "help" or crying so not happy mumbling or etc. It doesn't fit nightmare though to me as he's asleep and very unaware. He has no memory the next morning. Maybe it falls in the sleep talking range. I hope it ends soon. I'm not at all getting used to waking in the middle of the night to a child screaming help!

Edited by sbgrace