Menu

I'm going to scream!

I am so frustrated with my DD's attitude. We started GI today. Previously we used R&S-2 was too easy and 3 was too hard. We then switched to Advantage Grammar and didn't like that. Today we started reading the Student book of GI. "Is this all we do?" "I don't like all this reading." "When can I start doing some exercises"? Whine, whine whine. This isn't the only subject or time I've run into this. The negativity is ridiculous:rant:

We went boxed at the start of the year and allowed her to have input. We printed out sample lessons and let her look at them. She ended up really disliking the whole thing once we got started.

Now I am looking into writing. Here is what I am learning-she likes workbooks with simple instructions or explanations. She hates when I read things out loud to her for the most part because it makes her feel like a baby.

She just has such a negative attitude and it has to stop! I just don't know what to do. :willy_nilly:

HELP!

Have you looked at Growing With Grammar?

It may be the right format for your daughter. We do sort of a mix....I read the lessons from R&S and require no writing. I do this casually and not for long. I then will add a grammar worksheet 2-3 days a week(either GWG or similar). Maybe you could continue to read from GI, but also add in a workbook. Best of both worlds.

Perhaps a study on the Israelites coming out of Egypt?

We're going over this in church. God does not complainers... :lol: I know this is not what you asked for, but it rang a bell with me :p

This is a good idea! I may look into a unit study of this-especially since we are studying Egypt right now.

Have you looked at Growing With Grammar?

It may be the right format for your daughter. We do sort of a mix....I read the lessons from R&S and require no writing. I do this casually and not for long. I then will add a grammar worksheet 2-3 days a week(either GWG or similar). Maybe you could continue to read from GI, but also add in a workbook. Best of both worlds.

Do you use the TM with GWG? We would be using Level 3.

Do a search for my post about my 9 yr old. :glare: I've decided 9 yr olds are grumpy creatures.

It may not make a difference what curriculum you use. It could very well just be the phase she is in right now.

Maybe she's getting too much influence with her lessons? I really don't give my 9 yr old the allowance to give input on curricula. I know how he learns and I work with his style. If I asked him if he liked his programs he would say no to all of them simply because he doesn't want to work.

Anyway, just wanted to suggest that changing programs may not be the answer to her complaining. Hang in there!

We do lessons until 3pm and then I send the kids outside (or TV if raining) and I go upstairs to exercise. It helps me release my frustration at having dealt with the attitude and complaining.

Now I am looking into writing. Here is what I am learning-she likes workbooks with simple instructions or explanations. She hates when I read things out loud to her for the most part because it makes her feel like a baby.

Meaningful Composition is a workbook writing program addressed directly to the student. My dd loves it. And she's a complainer too. :001_smile:

I really don't think this is a *curriculum* issue. From reading your various posts, it sounds like 1) you don't like teaching grammar at all, 2) she's being given more input into curricular choices than a 9yo can really handle. I think it's important for *both* of you to realize that not all of school is going to be immediately pleasant and rewarding. Some of it's work and may even seem "boring", and that's not truly terrible. I think you'll discover that grammar is actually one of those things, rather like math or reading, that gets *more* interesting the more you've learned. But getting past the rudimentary basics takes some work. And sometimes that's a little dull. ... But if one has a good attitude and keeps working, it gets better.

You've tried a lot of grammar programs with your kids in the short time you've been posting here. I think it's time to pick one and just stick with it for 3-4 months. Continuing to jump around is highly unlikely to help.

I also wouldn't give a 9yo so much input into your choices. Yes, definitely take her interests and style in mind as you pick the materials you purchase! But you make the decision by drawing on your much broader perspective...

As for her attitude, again it's not about the curriculum -- it's about treating you (her teacher) and her work with respect. The attitude is a much bigger deal than which grammar text (of several good ones you've already purchased) you use. She needs to know what type of behavior is acceptable with regards to school (a one-time well-reasoned discussion of why she doesn't care for a particular text might be acceptable, but endless whining about how she hates it is not, for instance), and what the consequences will be if she whines/cries/argues/rolls her eyes/throws a fit, etc, over doing her work.

You know what I'd do? Stop all schoolwork, and decree a week of housecleaning. Not a bad thing for kids to learn how to do anyway. I'm not suggesting that you have them permanently on their knees cleaning the floor, but half a day of that will make doing Grammar look rosy. ;)

Also.. she is 9. I feel she may be confused by too many changes, and by the need to be involved in the choices. I have a 9yo, who admittedly drives me more crazy with the giggling than any kind of grumps, but I wouldn't give her much of a choice in what curricula we use. I research it, I pick it, I teach it, she learns it. When she's a little older she'll get more of a say - as her older sister (11yo) is beginning to do.

Don't be discouraged! You're doing a great job! Hang in there, mama! :001_smile: