Menu

Science Curriculum Similar to REAL Science

kalphs

We purchased a science currciculum for Dd to use in 5th-8th grade.

After looking over the curriculum Dh and I decided to nix it.

We like the looks of REAL Science, but noticed it only goes through 5th grade.

Is there a science curriculum similar to REAL Science by Pandia Press for grades 5-8th?

Thank you!

Edited by kalphs

Weeeeel, you have a 9 year old (nudge, nudge) who could use it soon (push, push). If you have a swim suit on, you might as well go for a swim (shoooove, SPLASH).

I'll wait until next year at least.

OK, this looks so much more in depth than HO. If you don't try it, we will this summer!

HO?

The assumption when purchasing Classiquest, Noeo or other similar programs is that Usborne and Kingfisher are written in a more engaging manner than science textbooks. That was true in the past, but not know. When we started homeschooling the textbooks offered dry, predigested material. We used library books until I saw some beautiful new science textbooks that were logically presented and engaging with fabulous images and critical thinking sprinkled around. We switched to a secular science publisher, but when I heard about Noeo a few years ago I decided to try it. Boring. The Usborne and other reference material were dry and predigested and it was disjointed. That's what I see when I look at Classiquest. I don't see anything classical about it. When using library books for science the "Science Yellow Pages: For Students and Teachers" includes more than enough memory work and you can pick it up used for a buck. I believe "Everything you Need to Know about Science Homework" is very similar.

Looking to add in history? Pick up a used copy of Asimov's "Breakthroughs in Science" for those under 12 and "100 Greatest Science Discoveries of All Time" for those older.