Menu

Not IEW.....not Writing Strands..now what?

delaney

DD (10) is a reluctant writer and has to be dragged through all lessons. We tried IEW and it was way too dry, then we moved to WS and it sits on the shelf and she is reluctant to complete the lessons. We do WWE3 and R&S English 4 but she needs more creative writing. I see posts about Killgallon and MCT. We need something new for the New Year to get this girl motivated!:tongue_smilie:

I know you don't need grammar, but the my reluctant writers have done wonderfully with BJU. My boys are using 5th/6th grade levels this year. The other thing that has helped tremendously is just letting them notebook our history lessons. Wow! I have been so pleased this year with their writing. I am not sure if it's the BJU or just age/maturity that's helping us out. Either way, BJU is easy to teach and they do it without complaint.

I know you don't need grammar, but the my reluctant writers have done wonderfully with BJU. My boys are using 5th/6th grade levels this year. The other thing that has helped tremendously is just letting them notebook our history lessons. Wow! I have been so pleased this year with their writing. I am not sure if it's the BJU or just age/maturity that's helping us out. Either way, BJU is easy to teach and they do it without complaint.

Do you have any suggestions about notebooking? Mine is so reluctant to write a silly 5 sentences about what she has heard! It drives me nuts that they don't want to do the drawing and writing! Why can't we get pictures from the internet?:glare:

For a reluctant writer, MCT is likely to be too unstructured. Killgallon focuses on writing sentences rather than essays & other longer assignments.

Have you looked at The Paragraph Book series from EPS? My DD loved them so much that she did them for "fun" and ran through the entire series in a couple of weeks. :glare:

For a reluctant writer, MCT is likely to be too unstructured. Killgallon focuses on writing sentences rather than essays & other longer assignments.

Have you looked at The Paragraph Book series from EPS? My DD loved them so much that she did them for "fun" and ran through the entire series in a couple of weeks. :glare:

Hmmmm....that may work too! I will try writing aids from TOG and then see how it goes after that. That does look like nice small pieces though.:)

These are the only things I've found that work for Otter:

Imitation in Writing &

Writing Trails

http://www.logospressonline.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=18&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&pg=2

and

Jump In: A Workbook for Reluctant and Eager Writers

https://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=94

If you click the above link you can look at an entire sample chapter of Jump In.

These are the only 2 programs he actually enjoys.

We also do copywork and narration on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...
I am currently looking at this: http://www.classicalwriting.com/index.htm

I am very tempted to give it a shot.

We use this both Aesop's and Homer... LOVE it. It incorporates grammar, vocabulary, a little history and writing. We have used WS fairly successfully and IEW without success. But when we found Classical writing I was thrilled. The cost is reasonable and you can reuse the books with other children.

These are the only things I've found that work for Otter:

Imitation in Writing &

Writing Trails

http://www.logospressonline.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=18&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&pg=2

and

Jump In: A Workbook for Reluctant and Eager Writers

https://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=94

If you click the above link you can look at an entire sample chapter of Jump In.

These are the only 2 programs he actually enjoys.

We also do copywork and narration on a regular basis.

For the Writing Trails in American History do need something other than the workbook?

WriteShop is great.

:iagree: Used it to teach 6th-8th graders at our co-op and we ALL loved it! Makes it easy on the parent, fun for the student, and teaches great writing techniques, too. If you are familiar with IEW you'll recognize some of the techniques; however, they are presented in an easier to grasp format. Love WriteShop!

:iagree: Used it to teach 6th-8th graders at our co-op and we ALL loved it! Makes it easy on the parent, fun for the student, and teaches great writing techniques, too. If you are familiar with IEW you'll recognize some of the techniques; however, they are presented in an easier to grasp format. Love WriteShop!

Do you need the teacher's manual? Any links?:D