Menu

Making Math Meaningful?

A number of years ago my middle ds used MMM Alg alongside some Key to Alg workbooks for one semester. He had no problem with it, but in January began attending a tutorial that used MUS Alg. He had no problem transferring into the MUS Alg class. But math comes easy to him and I don't think it would matter what program he used.

Last year the little man used some of MMM level 5. In July he used Chapter 1: Very Large Numbers and he enjoyed it. He began the school year using MMM level 5 Chapter 4: Fractions, but we ended up using Key to Fractions instead.

At the beginning of this year my extra student used MMM level 5 Chapter 2: Multiplication alongside her Saxon 65. We used MUS blocks to build the multiplication problems. She is a social sue, right brain, tactile child and I felt like it would be a good fit. While it was a good fit, she needed more practice with her multiplication facts, so we decided to go back and review with a Kumon multiplication workbook. I may try to use Chapter 5 with her later in the year.

While MM takes pains to walk through explaining the concepts, it doesn't IMHO contain enough practice. It definitely isn't independent. Also, it is B/W- this doesn't bother me, but I know some people care.

HTH-

Mandy

I have "Making Math Meaningful"...It talks about teaching math and gives examples of what kinds of problems to teach...There are also downloads to practice problems online...You will have to rewrite the problems for your child, as it is not in workbook form for grades 1-5...

It is a "whole to parts" method of teaching math, so if you agree with WTM where it speaks against that, then you will not want to get it...

Hope this helps...

I used the 1st and 2nd level books, but used them as a supplement to our main math at the time, which was Abeka. I personally really liked MMM. It stretched my ds in ways that Abeka did not. I might have used it exclusively for our main math had I not listened to others on message boards such as this. Whether that would have been a good choice I honestly can't say. ;) I instead ended up with BJU and that turned out well for us. I do know of a homeschool family here where I live with 10 kids and they all use/used MMM and have gone on to be very successful in high school/college maths.

Oh, I also used MMM's Alg 1 for my oldest ds. But he didn't 'get it' so I had to move on to another Alg. This son is one with a math LD though, so he is not really a good example. It took him numerous algebra's and two years to complete Alg 1. I'm not sure if he would have ever passed had we not found the Math Relief DVD Alg progam. That was SUCH an answer to prayer.

Anyhow, all that to say, I like MMM. I sometimes regret not continuing with it, but I don't know if that would have been good, or bad, for youngest ds in the long run. It WAS good for him while we used it though!

So basically, I am no help. :D

I had heard such great reviews of MMM, at another homeschooling forum, that I decided to give it a try. I planned on using it just as a supplement. I didn't get too far into it...but not because I didn't like it. I did. I just decided I can't do ALL the many math programs that I like; I had FIVE that I was debating on. I decided on two....with a 3rd as a backup (I know, I'm crazy!). The other two just have to go. I have MMM for sale on the swap board. I have the Kindergarten Parent Guide and Student Book, 1st grade Parent Guide, and 3rd grade Parent Guide. The lessons that I did do with my daughter she really did like.