Menu

Favorite skateboard brand?

This was asked a couple of years ago. Here's a link to the thread... http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69216&highlight=skateboard

I don't think brands have changed that much in a couple of years, so maybe it will be helpful. The key really is going into a skate shop if you want to get a good one, though.

This was asked a couple of years ago. Here's a link to the thread... http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69216&highlight=skateboard

I don't think brands have changed that much in a couple of years, so maybe it will be helpful. The key really is going into a skate shop if you want to get a good one, though.

THANKS! What helpful folks you all are. I appreciate it -- that was really informative. :)

You can get good boards preassembled from components. Warehouse Skateboard has several name brand models preassembled, or you can build one from components. They have several how-to videos that show how to put everything together. They also sell helmets, tools, and other gear.

The pre-assembled board we got was perfect for my ds a few months ago, when he got his first skateboard. He uses it at a local vert park and gets lots of compliments from the regular skaters. ("Hey, nice board") :)

They're having a great sale right now (much less than we paid in September), and they have a huge selection. They're having a CyberMonday sale too, for 10% more off with code 3881CM (11/29 only).

DH used to skate. My older son started skating when he was 4. My boys were skating daily when they were 8 and 10. It seems to me that they liked World Industries. I know we had Libtech and a Birdhouse - but the B (Tony Hawk) was a small one for one of the littles . The boys have moved to soccer, but before they quit skating they were breaking boards so were using blank decks bought from ebay.

So keep in mind, whatever board you buy, it's likely to get broken. Eight years old might seem young, but they can acquire some amazing skills pretty quickly. Get good trucks, bearings, and wheels. Know that the actual board part is quite disposable. The graphic is also not a super big deal it just gets scratched off and covered with stickers.

If you son ends up liking skating, it gets expensive fast. Once they start trying (and trying and trying) to land tricks, decks and skate shoes only last a few short weeks. I started making them duct tape their shoes. I also bought used ones at the thrift store (shoes not children).

Edited by ceecee75

Howdy! I have a sk8r dude. He's 7 and he's been skating all year - doing ramps at the skate park. Anyway, his board is TORE UP. I wouldn't spend too much money, because they really trash their skateboards. Also, we've had to change the grip tape a couple of times...which is fun and you can get different colors or grip tape...

Anyway, we bought his board at Academy - which is just like a big Sports Authority... Don't forget skating helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards. It gets kinda pricey when you add it up.

Our cable network has this "on demand" thing...where you click around and you can watch movies/documentaries for free. Anyway, under the "Sports Education" heading, we found a bunch of free videos on beginning skateboarding. He spent all morning watching those little videos. There's also a lot of skating stuff on YouTube, but you might want to preview the content first.

My advice is to go to a skate shop and purchase one unless you want him to drop the sport really fast. The boards from toy sections tend to not be very good and wind up frustrating the kids. THe biggest plus to buying from a real skate shop is the support that you get. It is worth its weight in gold! Something not going quite right with the board; you just take it back in and they (at least ours will) adjust it for free. They have shown ds how to do all the little things that need doing on the board as the need has come up. (He didn't have any friends who skate.) I would go ahead and include skate shoes when you buy the equipment. Get some duct tape to go along with it. The shoes get holey really fast!

My advice is to go to a skate shop and purchase one unless you want him to drop the sport really fast. The boards from toy sections tend to not be very good and wind up frustrating the kids. THe biggest plus to buying from a real skate shop is the support that you get. It is worth its weight in gold! Something not going quite right with the board; you just take it back in and they (at least ours will) adjust it for free. They have shown ds how to do all the little things that need doing on the board as the need has come up. (He didn't have any friends who skate.) I would go ahead and include skate shoes when you buy the equipment. Get some duct tape to go along with it. The shoes get holey really fast!

:iagree:

I worked at a skateshop for 5 years and the information and one on one you get will be very helpful. Also you get to pick and buy the components separately (they will assemble it for you if you want or you can do it yourself). This allows you to pick and choose different models and makes for all the pieces and have it the way you want it. The holey shoe thing can be a problem and that is why they make shoes specifically for skateboarding with extra protection in the likely to wear areas. There is also a magic product called shoe goo that works as both a preventative and for repairs of skateboard damage. Good Luck!

My son likes a lot of decks. He had a Zero deck for a while, then it was time to replace it. Now he has an Element. He really likes it because of the shape and how light it is. Now for wheels he swears by the softer compound the better. Now this does mean the softer they are the more often you replace them.

Make sure you let the people at the skateshop know it is for a smaller kid. So you don't end up with a deck that is too heavy or wide.

Now with something like a skateboard you really might want to take him to check out decks and find the one that feels right to him.

Yes, good point a good pair of skateboarding shoes is also worth the investment!

I third that!! Erik started out with Etnies, which *I* liked, when he was 12 and first started skating. He's had DC's, but they didn't last for us and ripped really quick. He's also had Osiris's too, and they were good... wicked graphics! But they don't make the airbrushed ones anymore :( Now, he's a Fallen boy- he LOVES his Fallen's. This will be his second year with them. Now skate shoes can get pricey, but what I love is they seem to cater to the to size 14/15 boy. They may not have very many to pick from, but we can always find him a pr :)

Now Erik recommends Element, because he is so little. He says he might like some Blind boards, but to watch out for the width because of his shoe size. Blind also makes mini-boards. He also recommends the Tensor Magnesium or anything by Thunder for trucks. Wheels, he says to go with Spitfire or Bones. Barrings he says to stick with Abec 3's... the higher the number will determine how fast he goes. He also says he should get risers... cleaner landings and no pressure cracks on the board. And grip tape, he says you can get anything you want, just don't get Mob, because they will rip up his $$ sk8tr shoes. And for hardware, he says to go with Shorty's.

If you have any questions feel free to PM :)