Menu

leaving for peds office in a moment and I'm nervous!

Dd10 was out playing on Saturday. She fell and something got into her eye. I put drops in it and put a bandaid over it to keep it shut. I can't tell you how many times I've done this for my kids before. Sunday we took off bandaid, continued with drops. Dd was fine, said it was all better.

Today it's tearing up and stings SOME. We're going to the peds office. On the phone, however, I could hear the disgust when they heard this happened Saturday and dd wasn't taken to the hospital. :001_huh: Seriously? I think that's ridiculous.

The repeated THREE times while on the phone, "This happened Saturday and she wasn't taken to the hospital?" "When did this happen? Saturday? And she wasn't taken to the hospital?"

Seriously??!!! And I did ask dd if she needed to be seen, she said no. She's turning 11 tomorrow, I think she can give input as to whether or not we need a doctor. Sheesh!

Next time I'll call 911 and have an ambulance rush her away. :glare:

I hope they don't lecture me further. Any advice? I'm leaving in a few...

After the second time: "You've made your point that you think I should have taken her to the hospital when it happened. Given that we can't roll the clock back, can we focus on what treatment she needs now?"

I agree; something like that. "You've repeatedly mentioned the hospital. I get that your opinion must be going to the hospital. It definitely was not a hospital worthy event for us. Thank you. Now what can we do for her now." A bit of a Pass The Bean Dip meets I Am The Parent authority.

Yes - Tell them you treated her symptomatically and it didn't appear to require anything further. But now since the office is open, you wanted it looked at.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree:This. Because it's still bothering her, you're bringing her in. With many injuries, the fact that they need dr's attention doesn't show up until they haven't healed as anticipated. There are illnesses for which you don't take in kids right away but only if symptoms worsen. It did not appear serious enough to require hospital treatment at the time, but since it is still bothering her, you're bringing her in.

You could also go to an optometrist if you have one who will be nicer than the doctor's office. (Though the doctor may be nicer than his receptionist or nurse or whoever you talked with.)

So did everything go okay?

Not 2 minutes after I read this, ds was rubbing his right eye and saying it hurt. Then he said he found a rock in it last night. Yep, a rock. He had no idea how the rock got in his eye. :confused: He's 12. He found it in his eye while at Wendy's, where a bunch of kids from youth group went. Older ds confirmed this and the size--about 2 mm! So normally, I would have just sighed and gone about my business after looking at his eye and seeing no red spots or anything, but your post about your dd made me a little more concerned. About 30 seconds later, though, ds 12 says, "Wait a minute! I think the rock was in the other eye!" :rolleyes:

I missed this the first time around! I want an update too!!!!

My ds got something in his eye and we had to go to the ER (his eye doc had us meet him there). But, his pain was NOT letting up. Come to find out, he got a piece of velcro in his eyelid and it was scratching his cornea every time he blinked. Poor kid! Oh- he kept the piece of velcro!!!

My ds got something in his eye and we had to go to the ER (his eye doc had us meet him there). But, his pain was NOT letting up. Come to find out, he got a piece of velcro in his eyelid and it was scratching his cornea every time he blinked. Poor kid! Oh- he kept the piece of velcro!!!

:001_huh: I shouldn't read these threads because I get thinking about all that COULD happen to my kids. ;)