Menu

Too many choices--stainless steel cookware sets

UGG. I have spent way too much time on the computer this morning trying to look up a best value for my money for a stainless steel cookware set. I just need the basic pieces--a few sizes of saucepans, 2 sizes of frying pans, an 8qt or so soup/pasta pot and lids.

I have looked at Kitchen aid sets, Cuisinart sets, a 13pc Tramontina Gourmet Stainless Steel Cookware Set on ebay, etc.

There are just TOO MANY CHOICES :glare:and I want to pick the best value for my money and get a quality set. I have about $200 (or a bit more) to spend but if I buy the 10pc. Kitchen Aid set for $120 I can also get 2 or 3 more really nice bras with my money (went to the bra fitter Sat. night).

Any clear cut winners or loosers or does it really matter that much for basic at home cooking?

I've always had good luck getting nice stainless steel pots and pans at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. They seem to pretty much always have a variety of pieces and a variety of brands. I like being able to see several different ones at once, so I can compare. We have a mishmash of brands as a result.

If you're talking about just standard stainless steel cookpots, you can't go wrong with Revereware. We got Revereware as a wedding gift 21 years ago and all those pieces are still going strong.

My skillets are what have to be replaced periodically.

I prefer Farberware over Revereware. My mom has the latter and it's thinner than Farberware.

She's had her set for 50 years and my Farberware's going on 18 years.

My set has metal lids and insides. I don't like the non-stick ick but when I searched for my set I was surprised to find that much of the farberware had the non stick surface. Here's one that doesn't.

Edited by CalicoKat

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Essentials-10-Piece-Stainless-Cookware/dp/B0001FSYQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1291078965&sr=8-1 This is the one I finally picked.

The Cuisinart one was actually a main running choice but I will use the 3 sauce pans more than that covered saute/all purpose pan.

I signed up for the free month of Amazon Prime and my new pots and pans will be here on Wed.

Since I picked a cheaper set, I have also ordered 2 new bras just like the one I got at the bra fitting Saturday night.:001_smile:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Essentials-10-Piece-Stainless-Cookware/dp/B0001FSYQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1291078965&sr=8-1 This is the one I finally picked.

The Cuisinart one was actually a main running choice but I will use the 3 sauce pans more than that covered saute/all purpose pan.

I signed up for the free month of Amazon Prime and my new pots and pans will be here on Wed.

Since I picked a cheaper set, I have also ordered 2 new bras just like the one I got at the bra fitting Saturday night.:001_smile:

Bonus!

Any clear cut winners or loosers or does it really matter that much for basic at home cooking?

I have a set of Simply Calphalon Stainless Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set stainless steel that I have used now for about 6 yrs. The only complaint that I have is I got a 12" skillet extra and it warped. I now have a 14" skillet All-Clad and if I had the money I would replace my Calphalan with all All-Clad.

I do a lot of cooking,(pretty much 3 meals a day from scratch)and don't use a microwave. We cook a big breakfast generally using our All-Clad skilled every day and I have had it now for 2 yrs.

You want to be sure that aluminum goes all the way to the top, encased in stainless steel. Many of the less expensive cook ware has it only in the base. If you have this feature it will heat faster and hold the heat better also not scorching quite as easily.

Happy shopping.