Menu

Any opinions about the leap pad and other reading toys?

Meh. Especially for a 5 yo. My boys liked the Leappads (we got them from the thrift store) around age 3-4. I feel like by age 5 they've nearly outgrown that stuff, which means that it won't have a long shelf life. But other people may disagree and there may be better ones now.

Grandparents got all 4 of mine them...we had the leap pad the little ones and the grand poo pah ones. They were fun for about 6 months, but are very bulky and can be temperamental.

We gave them to 2 other families and they loved them!!

The books go on clearance major league after Christmas at walmart!

the states was our favorite!! :D

I wouldn't say my kids loved theirs, but I would put them in their room for quiet time and that was the only time they could play with them for the most part. So it was always kind of fun and new (I'd do it about 3 times/week). My oldest son in particular learned a lot (reading, geography) from LeapPad.

But I would definitely get it used or on sale or something. I got one on mine on E-bay with a bunch of books, so it was worth it. You want the zip-up case that holds several books. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it and then full price for a bunch of books.

They all liked Leapster much better than LeapPad. But I didn't like that it was more of an electronic game and less book-ish. But they begged for Leapster and didn't often want to play LeapPad (as I said, they only did because it was a Quiet Time new toy in room).

My kids have had Leapsters for about a year and they only recently started playing them regularly. I don't think there is nearly as much educational value in them as they claim, but they do keep them quiet when they're at their siblings activities or in the car.

Depends on your lifestyle. My children did not use theirs because they were already computer savvy and prefered our computers (we had three at the time). If you children do not have frequent access to computers or gaming systems or handheld games, they are more likely to appreciate the Leap Pads. I see a lot of them at yard sales.

It's been *ages*, but my 12yo absolutely adored the original Leap Pad when he was 3, and I give a large amount of credit to the system for his early reading. We continued to buy new books as he got older, and it held his interest for a good 3 years or so. (Also, great customer service. They replaced the "pen" he chewed up -no charge- at least twice. Gotta love sensory issues @@)

We did try a newer version when my girls were 4/5, but it didn't go over nearly as well. By that time, they had access to video games and computer games like Jump Start, etc. LP wasn't able to hold a candle to those, in their eyes.

I briefly considered it for my youngest, but he can work a laptop nearly as well as the big kids, so I just don't see how it would be worth the money.