Menu

I am not doing it this year!

Every year it seems like I end up making 'things' to help us save money and it does, sometimes and then sometimes it ends up costing me money. I started out that I was going to make lounge pants for all the grandsons and a nighty for granddaughter. I went to JC P and found a nice flannel nighty for less than $7. Um, it would take me 3-4 hrs to make one. I ordered one for her and for my dd. I then ordered things for the grandsons that I know they are going to like better then the lounge pants, $15 each. I then went back to JCP and found pj pants for my two for $5 each. :001_smile:

I have it all ordered and on the way. I feel such a relief! I will now be able to commit the month to doing some fun things with my two after we are finished with school every day instead of feeling stressed, exhausted and crabby!:001_huh:

I talked to my dh before I made any of the orders and I think he was even relieved.:lol:

Anyone else not doing it this year?

I was at Jo Ann's at six a.m. buying flannel. :crying:

Well, for me I wasn't even going to have to buy fabric as I have LOTS of flannel. There is the notions that was all going to have to be purchased including patterns. The really big thing though was the time.

This summer with my oldest ds so sick for so long I felt like I have missed 3+ months of my younger twos lives. I guess I just decided I wanted to spend it with them doing 'things' we could do together instead of stuck in front of my machine.

Happy sewing.:001_smile:

Good for you!

I used to exhaust myself making plates and plates of Christmas cookies. One year I realized I was dreading it instead of looking forward to it. What a relief it was to stop!

Have fun with your free time! :)

Cat

Thanks, Cat. I quit the cooking thing several years ago when I realized that I was consistently gaining weight every. single. year. AND not. loosing. it!

Now with our family following the SCDiet it isn't even close to being affordable to do as gifts so no problem there.

I truly am looking forward to this month.:D

I love making things at Christmas time but have decided to just limit myself to crafts I enjoy or use myself (baking, decorating, etc.)

Most of my gifts need to be shipped (except dh and dds) and it is easier to drop ship from a catalog or send a gift card.

Your remark about trying to save money reminded me of a newspaper article I read this summer that advised people to 'walk to work' and 'learn to sew' to save money.:lol: We are not a pedestrian friendly community and most people are 5+ miles from work, and while sewing can be fun and let you create personalized clothing it is not cheap.

This year I realized that with my work schedule it is impossible to make as much as I would like...and I'm ok with it. And truthfully I love supporting WAHM's so Lili is getting a Bit of Whimsy doll instead of me buying the pattern and making it. She and Joey are also gettting capes from Etsy.

I'm still going to try to make her Christmas dress but last years took me 6 hours and broke my serger. Ruffles...I still have nightmares!

Your remark about trying to save money reminded me of a newspaper article I read this summer that advised people to 'walk to work' and 'learn to sew' to save money.:lol: We are not a pedestrian friendly community and most people are 5+ miles from work, and while sewing can be fun and let you create personalized clothing it is not cheap.

:iagree:I used to sew for my older dc when they were young and I saved tons of $$s. but that really isn't the case anymore. Generally the only time I sew for my two youngest is if I really can't find what I want. JCP was the place this year.:001_smile:

This year I realized that with my work schedule it is impossible to make as much as I would like...and I'm ok with it. And truthfully I love supporting WAHM's so Lili is getting a Bit of Whimsy doll instead of me buying the pattern and making it. She and Joey are also gettting capes from Etsy.

I'm still going to try to make her Christmas dress but last years took me 6 hours and broke my serger. Ruffles...I still have nightmares!

Oh, yes. I had my two sewing machines taken to the repair shop while I was in Denver and my middle ds picked them up for me to the tune of almost $200 just to have them cleaned and the serger timed. :tongue_smilie: