Menu

Ack!!! He's figured out how to climb out of his crib!

Need some advice from those who've been here! My other kids were not climbers and quite happy in their cribs until they turned 2.5!

My little man is 20 months old. This child climbs the walls and the risks he takes scare me to death. Am I best to just child-proof his room and throw a mattress on the floor and see how it goes? Or should I put him in his playpen, (which he's quite used to sleeping in but can climb out of as well) and put it on a foam so if he does climb out and bail, he doesn't get hurt?

How's about a ball and chain to keep the kiddo grounded? lol

Need some advice from those who've been here! My other kids were not climbers and quite happy in their cribs until they turned 2.5!

My little man is 20 months old. This child climbs the walls and the risks he takes scare me to death. Am I best to just child-proof his room and throw a mattress on the floor and see how it goes? Or should I put him in his playpen, (which he's quite used to sleeping in but can climb out of as well) and put it on a foam so if he does climb out and bail, he doesn't get hurt?

How's about a ball and chain to keep the kiddo grounded? lol

I'd put a mattress on the floor in a childproofed room with a baby gate. If he can climb out of the baby gate, I don't know what to do.

Can you put the mattress in it's lowest position and leave the rail down? It's been years since I had a crib, but ours was built to allow this, and looked sort of like a daybed that way. This definitely put ours close enough to the ground to really minimize the chance of any serious falls.

Aside from that, all you can really do is baby proof the room and maybe put install a good (swinging) gate in the door.

My BIL apparently climbed out of his crib continually from around 18 months. His parents put the mattress on the floor, and turned the crib upside down over it.

My own DS climbed out of his crib at 18 months old, snuck out of his room, climbed over the stairgate at the top of the stairs without falling down the whole flight, climbed over the stairgate at the bottom of the stairs and made his way over to our upright piano. I woke at 6:30am - stupid o'clock in our house - with the conviction that something was amiss downstairs; by the time I got there my darling boy was standing on the top of the piano, looking VERY proud of himself - "Look mummy! Up high!" Trust me, I nearly cacked my pants. We dispensed with the stairgates and crib after this, and left our door open instead. This is the same child who enjoyed opening his bedroom windows and stood on the open frame, which caused half the neighborhood to have coronaries.

So sorry, no great advice. You just got an extra 2 months on me.

Edited by Hedgehog

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

ds3 has been doing this the past few weeks...the first two did not do this either!!!

we took the side off of the krib and tried a gate...he hops the gate...we kleared out/baby proofed another roon(he was sharing with two older db) to take away the distraktion of his bros....he hops the gate.

today, dh bought those door knob thingys...the ones that are kiddy proof...put one on the inside and shut the door so he is *loked* in.

we will see how long it is untill he figures out how to get those off.

i want sleep for the holidays

good luk!

I loved the idea of the upside down crib!! hahahaha.

Anyways, for tonight, I've pulled the mattress out of the crib and put it on the floor. Just as good as a toddler bed and not far to fall. He can't open doors yet so I'll just shut the door and he'll stay put in there!

With my dd's we just moved them on into twin beds. When we tried moving ds into a twin bed, he howled. He wanted his crib back and wouldn't sleep unless he was in HIS bed. We just put the side down as low as it would go and he climbed in and out of it until he was over 3 (at which point he was getting way too big for the crib and had to go to a regular bed despite his objections). I hope your little guy is happy with his "new bed".

Time to put him in a toddler bed, and make sure his room is totally babyproof (I like to make sure windows can't open all the way/enough to fall out of, furniture like dressers are screwed to the wall and can't topple over on a climber, no cords/blinds hanging from the window etc), and put a good babygate up in the doorway.

This one is great:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Baby-Extra-Tall-Swing-Close-Gate-Black/5691050

Guest mrsjamiesouth
Time for a toddler bed.

My 2nd and 3rd children were in toddler beds around 17 months. With my 2nd son I tried stacking up 3 gates in the doorway, but he managed to climb out of that. :eek: What worked the best was the Super Nanny technique of sitting in the doorway and keep putting them back in bed til they gave up and went to sleep. I only had to do it once with my dd, but I had to do it for a week with ds.