Menu

Have you ever foregone individual Christmas gifts.....

....in lieu of buying one big family gift? My kids and DH all really want a Wii, but we have a very old television and thought we couldn't set one up. However, friends came over on Thanksgiving and brought their Wii. After some trial and error, Dh and our friend figured out a way to do it and the kids (and DH) all had a great time playing. We have a certain amount of $$$ set aside for gifts and it would cover the Wii, Wii fit (the one with the board?) and some games.We talked to our eldest about it in abstract terms (i.e. "how would you feel about getting one big family gift instead of little ones) and he was all for it, but I wonder how they will feel on Christmas morning. They do get gifts from family so it is not like they would be gift-less.

Also, this year we have friends coming into town and several of us who have been friends since grad school have decided to spend X-Mas Eve and X-Mas together (18 people total) so there will be lots of activity to make up for the lack of gifts.

As a added bonus for DH and me, we would be able to cancel the cable and stream Netflix movies/shows.

I would go for it. The Wii is a great family system. They will have other presents to open from other family members so if it were me I would give them a gift list for the kids (I do a generalized list like "DD likes Hello Kitty, Disney Princesses, and Zhu Zhu Pets. DS likes Legos, Star Wars, and Nerf guns."). Also, if you feel bad about not getting them individualized items you could buy one less game and stuff their individual stockings with candy, a tangerine, a few dollar store items, etc., and that way they would each get indiviual stuff.

Another suggestion (from a gamer) is Gamefly. It's like Netflix but for games. You pay a monthly fee and have games mailed to your house. That way you don't have to buy the games to try them out.

Great idea!

Last year, we only did stockings and each kid got a t-shirt from Santa. The family gift was a trip to Mexico.

The kids had presents from grandparents to open, so we had fun watching them open gifts and hinting about the big surprise. And a Wii is something that you can all play together immediately. :)

Cat

We are discussing this for this year. :) We aren't giving the kids an option. Money is tight and I am sick of more toys when they don't take care of what they already have. My MIL is discussing getting them a system and a few individual things and my DH and I are discussing family board games and games for whatever system they get. I refuse to go into debt over toys. :lol:

We've decided to go ahead and do it. The kids will have things to unwrap from relatives and we will fill their stockings with little things.

(now I am excited...Wii Fit here I come :D). DS7 say the Red "Mario" Wii package and wants that one, but I think we will stick with plain, old white or black.