Menu

If dd takes Conceptual Chemistry for 9th-what should she take for 11th?

I'm considering using Conceptual Chemistry for 9th. I'm trying to think this through. If we use Conceptual Chemistry in 9th, possibly Abeka Biology(not sure yet) for 10th, then what chemistry would work for 11th? I don't care for the Apologia series. I've considered Spectrum Chemistry, but was concerned it would be a better fit in the 9th grade slot. I might be wrong with this idea. She would be taking Physics for 12th. This is for a humanities-loving girl. She shows no interest (and is adamant about this) in math or science. She would be taking Algebra I in 9th, Geometry in 10th, Algebra II in 11th and PreCalculus in 12th (probably using Jacobs and Foerster). Despite her lack of love, I do want her to have a solid background in math and science. I just don't want it to completely dominate her time in high school, since her passion is elsewhere.

Any suggestions for Chemistry would be so appreciated!

If she has no interest in math and science, why have her take advanced chemistry? There are plenty of other subjects she could study: Geology or Earth Science, Astronomy, Marine Biology, Environmental Science, Human A&P, etc. Or how about History and Philosophy of Science? That might appeal to a humanities kid more than another lab science. The Teaching Company has some great courses on that topic, and there are lots of really fun and interesting books.

Jackie

Why are you wanting to do chemistry twice?

You could do environmental science or earth science or astronomy instead, then biology in 10th, chemistry in 11th, and physics in 12th. From your signature, it looks like you're doing physical science this year, so that will help with any physics/chemistry she needs for anything she takes before chemistry in 11th.

Doing Conceptual Chemistry and then regular high school chemistry would be redundant, IMO, and Conceptual Chemistry on its own is not enough preparation for AP/college chemistry (we used it last year).

Okay, this is definitely pre-high school jitters on my part. :lol:

I'm trying to walk that fine line between making sure she has all she needs to keep her doors of possibility open (college choice, etc.), but also allow her to follow her passions.

I was thinking the Conceptual Chemistry would be like a pre-chemistry with the real high school level, complete with labs in 11th. We are doing Physical Science this year, but it is very light. This is a weak spot for her and I was trying to fill this void a little.

EKS, if we didn't do Conceptual Chemistry in 9th and did Chemistry in 11th only instead, what would be a good choice? Would Spectrum Chemistry meet the typical requirements for high school chemistry with a lab?

Thank you all for being patient with me. I feel like I really need to be prepared for high school. There are days when I worry I can't do this well enough.

I was thinking the Conceptual Chemistry would be like a pre-chemistry with the real high school level, complete with labs in 11th. .

Conceptual Chemistry isn't light, it just doesn't have the math. It is designed for college liberal arts students to meet a need they have for a science credit. Each chapter is about 35+ pages, etc. It is very much worth a full high school credit if you do the first 12 chapters along with the hardest questions and labs with lab reports. My dd plans to take AP Chem afterward, if there is enough room in the class. She has plenty of math and has done Chem math with her labs and it gave her no trouble (she's very mathy). However, I'm not going to tell her what EKS has found recently due to her lab component which was not the Conceptual Chem labs.

If she has no interest in math and science, why have her take advanced chemistry? There are plenty of other subjects she could study: Geology or Earth Science, Astronomy, Marine Biology, Environmental Science, Human A&P, etc. Or how about History and Philosophy of Science? That might appeal to a humanities kid more than another lab science. The Teaching Company has some great courses on that topic, and there are lots of really fun and interesting books.

Jackie

:iagree:There is a science course taught at our local high school based off of Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. I think part of the book's brilliance is that it succeeds in engaging people, not just students, in thinking about science in ways that textbooks just don't capture our imagination. My dd felt that if she had this course first and then moved into the standard science rotation, she would have better understood and been more excited about her biology and chemistry courses. It's just a thought.

Conceptual Chemistry isn't light, it just doesn't have the math.

You'll find that the math, meaning calculating yields, balancing equations, that sort of thing, is a huge part of high school and more importantly college chemistry. Conceptual Chemistry is essentially *half* of chemistry. A full chemistry course will have a good balance between concepts and computation.

That said, a strong math and science student would likely do just fine in an AP chemistry course after Conceptual Chemistry. But if you want a *full* chemistry course, you really need to include the math-based stuff.

We are doing Physical Science this year, but it is very light.

Is there any possibility that you could switch to a stronger program? A strong physical science program would eliminate the need for Conceptual Chemistry.

EKS, if we didn't do Conceptual Chemistry in 9th and did Chemistry in 11th only instead, what would be a good choice? Would Spectrum Chemistry meet the typical requirements for high school chemistry with a lab?

I am currently looking into chemistry texts for my son to use next year. Right now I'm thinking that he will use Zumdahl's Introductory Chemistry text with LabPaq labs. I am not familiar with Spectrum Chemistry.

Thanks Karin, your explanation helps clear some of this up. I have a 2nd ed. of Conceptual Chemistry I had picked up at a thrift store to get some idea of it better. Are the labs the sections in the chapters titled Hands-On Chemistry or should I get a separate lab book? Are the harder questions the Exercises?

Thanks Lisa, the book you linked looks really good. I know she would enjoy the idea of a History and Philosophy style science class. I can see how that would get her excited for the remaining classes.

9th History and Philosophy of Science

10th Biology

11th Chemistry

12th Physics

The last three would be with labs. Can I sucessfully replicate the labs needed? I know that if possible I may choose a co-op or something else if I found just what I needed. I have to plan it as if I will teach it and let time/future determine what other options I have. Would this be shortchanging her in anyway? This is my biggest fear...that I will make mistakes and fail her (and my dh who trusts me enough to do this).

You'll find that the math, meaning calculating yields, balancing equations, that sort of thing, is a huge part of high school and more importantly college chemistry. Conceptual Chemistry is essentially *half* of chemistry. A full chemistry course will have a good balance between concepts and computation.

That said, a strong math and science student would likely do just fine in an AP chemistry course after Conceptual Chemistry. But if you want a *full* chemistry course, you really need to include the math-based stuff.

:iagree: Conceptual Chem was never going to be dd's full Chem for high school because she wants to major in math and/or biochem, and she had some of the math in the labs. Plus, she's very strong in math.

But for a future arts major, I still think it's a full course IF you do lots of the questions, take tests, do labs, etc. Plus listen to the lectures.

Thanks Karin, your explanation helps clear some of this up. I have a 2nd ed. of Conceptual Chemistry I had picked up at a thrift store to get some idea of it better. Are the labs the sections in the chapters titled Hands-On Chemistry or should I get a separate lab book? Are the harder questions the Exercises?

Thanks Lisa, the book you linked looks really good. I know she would enjoy the idea of a History and Philosophy style science class. I can see how that would get her excited for the remaining classes.

9th History and Philosophy of Science

10th Biology

11th Chemistry

12th Physics

The last three would be with labs. Can I sucessfully replicate the labs needed? I know that if possible I may choose a co-op or something else if I found just what I needed. I have to plan it as if I will teach it and let time/future determine what other options I have. Would this be shortchanging her in anyway? This is my biggest fear...that I will make mistakes and fail her (and my dh who trusts me enough to do this).

There is as separate lab manual, but we used MicroChem. It had some math (not as much as mathy courses but enough to see that dd had no trouble with that kind of thinking). A good idea is to check with the appropriate departments at the universities/colleges your dd is interested in applying to so that you can see what they require for pre-requisites. I just went through this when my dd transferred to ps during her sophomore year in regard to foreign languages and it was very helpful.

Edited by Karin