Menu

Please give me ideas- my 5 year old wants an "invention kit"

My 5 year old boy thinks he's an inventor. He draws diagrams of machines and inventions all day long. He tells strangers that he is an inventor and tells them all about his latest idea.

For Christmas, all he wants is an "invention kit". When asked what he wants to be in the kit, he just says "things to help me build my inventions."

I do not want to disappoint him. Ideas?

Remember, he's only 5.

My 5 year old boy thinks he's an inventor. He draws diagrams of machines and inventions all day long. He tells strangers that he is an inventor and tells them all about his latest idea.

For Christmas, all he wants is an "invention kit". When asked what he wants to be in the kit, he just says "things to help me build my inventions."

I do not want to disappoint him. Ideas?

Remember, he's only 5.

Oh! Someone else had a great thread going about this! Let me see if I can find it...

Try here for ideas:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218374

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222767

Oh, I've had that kid and it ain't easy! One thing he might enjoy is a book of Rube Goldberg cartoons. Here is one option. You want one with mainly pictures, obviously. I cannot begin to explain how inspirational this can be. Then I'd go with a bunch of assorted stuff.

NOT snap circuits - because they are designed to snap so easily together, taking the "tinkering" part out of the equation. Inventors don't want to put together something that someone else already invented. They want to tinker about with bits and pieces of things.

Old-school battery holders, bulb holders, wire, a fan, a buzzer, a motor or two, perhaps some old-school switches, and some batteries. The best method would be to find discarded appliances, take them apart together, and use the pieces. The best type are old CD players, as they have motors and gears and often a fan. Other stuff can work too - we've used a sewing machine, a rice cooker, computer keyboards, etc. etc. etc. You'll need someone who can identify this stuff (the motors, etc.) to help. A string of twinkle lights can be cut into individual bulbs with wires already attached, or strings of 3 or 4 lights. The best batteries are 12volt, as they can power some stuff that the usual AA batteries can't. A vintage meccano set might be handy, if you come across one.

I've done this kind of "Take Apart Day" with a public school class full of 3rd graders. I cannot begin to tell you how much they loved it. They used the parts to build "robots" out of cardboard boxes, etc., with fans and lights and motors attached that they imagined did various things. Being able to actually have powered stuff was positively thrilling for them. We did solder (sp?) some of the connections to reduce frustration.

The TOPS electricity curriculum is excellent for teaching the basics of electricity to younger kids. Building a simple circuit to power a fan, buzzer, etc. is within the reach of a motivated five year old with a bit of help from mom.

Some screwdrivers and a pair of wire cutters will be useful. Duct tape, of course.

The Junior Solar Sprint challenge is a good place to look for inspiration - kids build solar cars from junk (and a specific motor and solar panel) - the stuff they make is crazy-looking but that's the idea.