Menu

MCT/Killgallon - What are your thoughts on alternating these instead of

rafiki

This is exactly what I'm doing with my kids. There's such a big jump in challenge levels between "island" and "town" and "voyage". Plus we HS year-round and the Killgallon books provide excellent reinforcement for the grammatical concepts learned in MCT.

Right at the moment, my DD is actually taking a break from both programs to learn sentence diagramming and also work through Wordsmith Apprentice. But I plan on having her do one of the Killgallon books after she finishes those. She's nowhere near ready to do the writing in EV so that will likely wait until 2nd semester of 4th at the earliest.

This is exactly what I'm doing with my kids. There's such a big jump in challenge levels between "island" and "town" and "voyage". Plus we HS year-round and the Killgallon books provide excellent reinforcement for the grammatical concepts learned in MCT.

Here too. DD1 grasps the grammar really quickly, but needs to spend more time on writing before we move on to Voyage.

I definitely think you'll need to find *something* to alternate between MCT levels. While the Practice and Vocabulary books might last you a year, the other books do go pretty quickly, and there's a BIG leap from the type of writing in Paragraph Town and Essay Voyage (and again to the upper level materials). I don't think you could go from one MCT level to the next straight through unless you were starting with an older child (in which case I can't imagine why you'd start from the very beginning)...