Menu

Dr Hive! I need your reassurance tonight! Please?!

Last week, dd was diagnosed with tonsillitis and an ear infection and put on Zithromax. After a couple days on the medication, her fever came back, but it was mild (99 − 100). She's been fever-free for two days now.

Yesterday, she started complaining that the lymph nodes in her neck hurt. Tonight, she woke up and was crying because they hurt. They are swollen from behind the ear, all along the jaw line. The swelling is visible from the outside too. She didn't want me to touch it.

Is this drainage from the ear infection? Dh did a google search (I can't - they freak me out) and that's all we found. Should she be on a different antibiotic? Please tell me she doesn't need to be seen at the ER tonight?! I'm freaking out here at all the "what ifs?!"

In my neck of the woods, I avoid the ER for all but true, bad, really urgent emergencies. For what you've described, I would try to limp through the night and get her in to your pediatrician, or urgent care center, ASAP in the morning.

I was sick a week ago and had severe pain along one side of my neck, in my throat, and in one ear. My neck was also swollen, though just on one side. I found myself in tears a few times, because it hurt so bad. And a google search had me worried about... Lots of things. The doctor couldn't see anything and my ear was clear. But, she prescribed antibiotics anyway and had me take some decongestant that she had samples for. That fixed it. Until it cleared up, ibuprofen offered some, not full, pain relief.

That sounds a little odd to me. I don't know what I would do.

Has she been vaccinated for the Mumps and had her boosters? (MMR)

There are also salivary gland infections but I don't know any thing about them of if these symptoms fit or not.

I just asked DH, and he said it's likely just drainage from the infection. I'd call the ped. if she was in huge amounts of pain or her fever came back, but I also think that you can't beat a mom's intuition on stuff like this. I hope she feels better soon!:grouphug:

THANK YOU!!!! Is your dh a doctor? I sure hope so! Because all the things that are going through my mind right now are just SCARY!!!! I have no intuition on stuff like this. None.

Oh - and we will be going to Urgent Care at 8 am - just to be sure.

Thanks Tap. She has not had the mumps vaccine. Her symptoms do not match though. Swelling is in a different area.

My oldest had this happen when he was around five or six and I freaked out, too. The ped said the glands were just swollen from fighting the infection, and they would go down on their own. And they did.

Still, for your peace of mind you might want to get it checked out. But it's probably nothing to worry about.

Another comfort measure for the swollen glands may be heat.

My glands swell with infections and sometimes heat makes them feel better.:grouphug:

Thanks! I'll use this when she wakes up.

My oldest had this happen when he was around five or six and I freaked out, too. The ped said the glands were just swollen from fighting the infection, and they would go down on their own. And they did.

Still, for your peace of mind you might want to get it checked out. But it's probably nothing to worry about.

Really? I'd never heard of this! So were your oldest's swollen and painful too? Good. I'm glad to hear of someone with the same symptoms and that it was alright. And, yes. I'm going to be waiting at the Urgent Care Clinic tomorrow at 8 am when they open.

THANK YOU! I might be able to sleep now!

:grouphug: It does sound like her lymph nodes are just responding to the infection. That happened to me once. It hurts and they can take longer than you expect to go completely back to their size.

I had a child with a spreading ear infection and it wasn't like that at all. Spreading infections have high fevers and sick kids in extreme pain--not sleeping ones with no fever! They also don't swell like you describe in lymph nodes in my experience (my son was all the space behind the ear to the extent the ear was bent forward against his head). He was 3.5...he's six now with no ill effect.

I'm an extreme worrier with my kids and I wouldn't take her tonight for what you describe if she were mine. It really sounds like her body is just on it's way to recovery to me. I would sleep easy.

I hope you can sleep well tonight. :grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

Thanks Heather. We're going to leave in about 30 minutes to go to the Urgent Care Clinic. It's just so weird. She's acting completely normal (well, she's mad because I'm taking her to the doctor!).

I'm just a nervous wreck. Dh is already at church. I have to leave the three boys home alone. I may actually ask my oldest to come with me because he's usually such a big help. And, Meg HATES the doctor. Ugh.

Okay. I called her doctor and explained what was going on. He said that he's surprised I hadn't had this happen in one of my other boys before. He said that facial swelling because of swollen glands is completely normal and quite common after the type of infection she had. He said that as long as the fever is gone and she's acting normal that she doesn't need to be seen for a couple more days - if the swelling doesn't go down.

Luckily, my doc goes to my church - but he attends the early service. So, we're going to go and he's going to take a look.

Now, I just wish I'd called last night!!!

Keeping you and Meg in prayer this morning! You'll be our "people" during the Prayers of the People! :D

Really, lots of :grouphug:. I know it's scary when these things happen.

Thank you Chris. That means a lot to me. I'm so emotional right now, but it brought me to tears thinking about people remembering us in prayer.

swollen, tender lymph nodes while sick is very common. THey won't go down right away either. I wouldn't rush to the ER for it but would take her to the pediatrician tomorrow.

Actually, for me, swollen, tender lymph nodes are so common in our household (even from too many bug bites!) that I probably wouldn't go at all for that reason but I think you need to go to clear your mind.

Don't worry mom!!!

Okay. I called her doctor and explained what was going on. He said that he's surprised I hadn't had this happen in one of my other boys before. He said that facial swelling because of swollen glands is completely normal and quite common after the type of infection she had. He said that as long as the fever is gone and she's acting normal that she doesn't need to be seen for a couple more days - if the swelling doesn't go down.

Luckily, my doc goes to my church - but he attends the early service. So, we're going to go and he's going to take a look.

Now, I just wish I'd called last night!!!

Great! I'm glad your doc is going to take a look at her. Poor little thing. :grouphug:

THANK YOU!!!! Is your dh a doctor? I sure hope so! Because all the things that are going through my mind right now are just SCARY!!!! I have no intuition on stuff like this. None.

Oh - and we will be going to Urgent Care at 8 am - just to be sure.

Sorry I missed this! Yes, he is, and while he's not a pediatrician, he has to stay board-certified in internal medicine as well as his specialty. It's kind of a pain for him, but it sure does come in handy. ;)

Sorry I missed this! Yes, he is, and while he's not a pediatrician, he has to stay board-certified in internal medicine as well as his specialty. It's kind of a pain for him, but it sure does come in handy. ;)

Thank you!!! Our doc is not a pediatrician - he's a DO and we all go to him. LOVE it.

Meg is okay. Her fever is gone. Swelling of the cheek/neck is down (not gone, but down). She's exhausted. We have another appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I'll ask about mono and the other things.

Thanks. Please, God, let us sleep tonight!!!!!

Thank you!!! Our doc is not a pediatrician - he's a DO and we all go to him. LOVE it.

Meg is okay. Her fever is gone. Swelling of the cheek/neck is down (not gone, but down). She's exhausted. We have another appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I'll ask about mono and the other things.

Thanks. Please, God, let us sleep tonight!!!!!

Amen!!! Glad she's feeling better!

Hey Jennifer,

That's a tough one. Protocol here is if this condition does not improve or worsens for a week to get medical attention.

In M's case, it seems to be getting worse. Under the circumstances I probably would take her in.

At the very least, call her ped and consult on the phone. They should have "after hours...doctor on call".

Will continue to pray. Please let me know how things are going.

:grouphug:

Swollen lymph nodes from that type of infection are extremely common. No biggie, really. The younger the child, the worse it is. They're doing exactly what they're supposed to do. Also, while lymph nodes can swell overnight, it can sometimes take a month or more for them to return to normal size....and sometimes they always remain slightly enlarged. Also, no biggie. Don't pick at them and make sure your dd doesn't do that either. Best advice the ped I worked for gave nervous parents....."Don't go looking for enlarged lymph nodes in a young child. You'll always find them."