Menu

Art History?

treestarfae

Call me radical, but I like BIG reprints. I can't stand looking at a skimpy Children's Games.

So, I go to the used book store and bring home coffee-table books (or check the dimensions of used books on Amazon...you can get some beautiful books for a few dollars), and google. There is a lot of information on the web about artists and particular pieces of art, and you and kiddo can read about it while having a nice BIG print on your laps.

I started the process with quarterly viewings of Sister Wendy, whose enthusiasm infects my son, and as he grows, he understands her more and more.

Just one "different" idea.

I am using Meet the Masters with my 10 year old and it is GREAT! I bought 3 years worth of Art History for about $70 as I bought through Homeschoolbuyersco-op. The main lesson is an online 'powerpoint' which you have text that you read aloud to your child. It has questions built in to help them see what the artist was doing. Then there is a quiz, and finally a hands-on exercise where your child gets to try out some of the techniques that artist uses. This is our second year and it has really worked well for us.

Sonlight has quite a few great art appreciation books - we took most out of the library. A particularly fun one is Art Fraud Detective where you have to compare to masterpieces to figure out which one is a fraud.

And then there are the Artists Specials DVDs (6 of them) which are great DVDS aimed at elementary age with a story woven around the life and work of a famous artists (eg Mary Cassatt). Once again, our public library has them and my kids loved them.

And then there are the Artists Specials DVDs (6 of them) which are great DVDS aimed at elementary age with a story woven around the life and work of a famous artists (eg Mary Cassatt). Once again, our public library has them and my kids loved them.

Mike Venezia's vids are fun, and our library has them, too. The vids "hooked" my son, so that he approaches the books eagerly. After seeing the vids, I ham up the accents as I read, much to our delight.

http://www.gettingtoknow.com/video-clips.htm